DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Post by Farerb » December 30th, 2022, 8:59 am

This is a post from Blu-ray.com that I thought you'd like to read:
FYI: For those of you not part of DMC and unable to see how they plan to honor the 100th anniversary...

1) A Reissue of Fantasia/Fantasia 2000/Celebrating Mickey with the Wizard Mickey lithograph and a mystery Mickey gift

2) Special commemorative Disney 100 covers for : Frozen, Little Mermaid, Moana, Toy Story, Beauty and the Beast and Zootopia

3) A bunch of Mickey videos being re-issued from The Three Musketeers to the Mickey and the Beanstalk DVDs (those really old multi-volume videos with a few extras), all 4 Have a Laugh volumes, Season 1 of the older Mickey reboot series, a lot of Disney Junior / Mickey Clubhouse DVDs and Fun and Fancy Free on DVD and 3 Singalongs (Beach/Camp/Mansion).

4) Of course the new Volume 1 Mickey/Minnie shorts Bluray.

5) Strange World is our Featured Title selection and we were given a sales ad of the hottest titles in 2022, most being all the newly released films and Exclusives in the last 2 years.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2022, 11:10 am

So…little to nothing new. Ten Mickey cartoons just doesn’t cut it! How about 100 Mickey toons, or 100 Disney shorts for 100 Disney years!? That would have been more like it!

Hopefully Iger is planning something special, even for the end of celebrations next year… :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 30th, 2022, 3:32 pm

.. even a cursory 'best of' collection of the silent Alice comedies might've been nice, since that's what the Disney studio was actually making in 1923; which is the reason for the '100' in the first place.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2022, 4:52 pm

Xactly! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 30th, 2022, 8:42 pm

Or an updated Oswald collection with the shorts that have been rediscovered.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 30th, 2022, 10:36 pm

That is all actually mighty lame. Sadly, about what one might expect these days.

If you're going to just do re-releases, maybe put out the Treasures again! (In hi def would be nice.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 31st, 2022, 4:40 am

But then that wouldn’t technically be a re-release (which would indicate a simple repressing of the existing discs). To remaster all the Treasures — even just the toon ones — in HD is a mammoth undertaking that they didn’t even really do for the original releases. I’m sure there is some low-level restoration and preservation project that is ongoing at Disney, though would also imagine that it’s not particularly "structured" or aimed at any one specific release or strategy. Those titles are nowhere near being able to be issued as new HD masters, sadly, as lovely as that would be.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2023, 4:34 am

So I’ve just decided to order the Mickey/Minnie disc, even though it’s fairly redundant, recycles too much of Celebrating Mickey, doesn’t have enough toons, has less than attractive cover art, and is generally a bit of a head-scratcher. But…none of the other Disney100 reissues particularly entice, and since I own them already it would just be for the pretty lame cover art (the steels do nothing for me).

If I didn’t have a title or two then, sure, I’d maybe get a couple, as random as they may be — it’s not like they’re picking their most acclaimed, successful or significant titles there so what’s the theme? — but at least Mick'n'Min is a specially curated release, as non-exciting as it feels, and has a proper Disney100 themed sleeve. So…yeah…while it can still be got with a slip and is just going for just under 15.00, it’ll sit next to Celebrating Mickey, for what it’s worth, though I’m still hoping for some serious D23 announcements and "proper" last quarter releases…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 21st, 2023, 10:31 am

I hope so, too, but won't be holding my breath. :(

I am uncharacteristically holding firm and not getting Mick & Minn.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2023, 2:17 pm

:shock: ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 27th, 2023, 3:47 pm

Gasp, artwork on both discs!

Still a lame release, though...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 27th, 2023, 7:04 pm

I, unfortunately, missed an e-mail on my DMC, so looks like I'll be getting this anyway, but I look on the bright side:
Hey, it could've been Strange World.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2023, 8:13 pm

At least you guys are *getting* Strange World! I know it’s not getting a wide-wide release in the US, but there’s no 4K release here in the UK at all, for those who want to keep their Disney collection going…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 27th, 2023, 8:47 pm

So I noticed. I had wondered why the Zavvi Steelbook was so cheap, then realized it's Blu-ray only (it was the same with Luca, I now recall). I'll have to get it from BestBuy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 28th, 2023, 4:17 am

I think James is going to nab me the DMC release, which I’d prefer over the steelbook. I just like me a case in a slipcover I guess! Thanks, James! :)