DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: DC Universe

Post by Dacey » December 22nd, 2022, 11:38 am

Nothing. Ray just inserted himself into all of the recent studio drama when he accused Gunn publicly on Twitter of being racist for deleting a tweet in which he appeared to take his side (even though Gunn had deleted all of his tweets prior to that).

Might just be time for him to drop this at this point. He’s just burning bridges that aren’t even there anymore now.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 22nd, 2022, 5:32 pm

Oh, okay. Why do people have to drum up new versions of old dramas when there is no drama to drum up!? He’s not going to do himself any favors in sounding like he’s griping all the time, both to Gunn and to any potential other producers, who will then no doubt be accused of being racist because he can’t get a job when really they just don’t want to have to deal with the aggro!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 23rd, 2022, 12:58 pm

The Flash is getting a Super Bowl ad!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 23rd, 2022, 2:08 pm

Blink and you’ll miss it! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 24th, 2022, 2:42 pm

Considering the cost, I don't doubt it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 3rd, 2023, 1:56 pm

Leslie Grace shares some behind-the-scenes photos:

Second one would've been the final costume.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 3rd, 2023, 4:09 pm

Not bad! At first glance a bit el cheapo looking, but that’s in a natural glare before the lighting and black crush of the intended film look would have muted it and enchanting Ed things. Could have been really great looking.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 3rd, 2023, 9:48 pm

She looks so tiny, next to (assumedly) Brendan.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2023, 12:57 pm

Bill1978 wrote:
December 18th, 2022, 1:54 pm
Let's hope the writers for Doom Patrol and Titans are smart like the writers of Stargirl and write an alternate ending (and the showrunner allows it to be filmed) so that fans can have closure in the event they too get cancelled (which at this stage I think is highly likely based on the madness happening at HBO Max/Discovery).
Yep, both have been canceled. Sounds like they'll at least have proper closure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 31st, 2023, 12:18 pm

Superman legacy, supergirl, swamp thing, robin in dcu batmam and booster gold show.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235314176/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 31st, 2023, 1:34 pm

It all sounds promising to me. Thoughts:
- Can't say I'm interested in a Paradise Island show myself, but that's okay. And it might actually be really cool. We'll see.
- Creature Commandos could be really fun. I liked the Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE comic this Looks to be inspired by.
- Superman as a kind figure, wrestling with his dual heritage-- Not groundbreaking, but on target.
- Damian Wayne comes to the movies! I know not everyone likes the little brat, but I'm a fan. Hopefully they lean towards the Peter Tomasi (writer of Batman and Robin) take.
- Mixed feelings on The Authority. Good comics, but they were initially an "extreme take on the Justice League." With no JL yet, do we need a film for The Authority? It's kinda like giving the villains a film (Suicide Squad) before establishing the heroes.
- Lanterns: Yes!
- Supergirl: Could be interesting.
- Swamp Thing film: Yes!

Fun times ahead!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 31st, 2023, 5:32 pm

Warner/DC is a little too eager to put their faith in "saviors", which is how they got in trouble with Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder in the first place.
Am I the only one who sort of liked Gunn's version of Suicide Squad, but still thought it was too scattered, self-indulgently gore/goofy, and pretty much Gunn taking a vacation from Marvel to spend his own money?

And it's the same problem with the Snyderverse, in that the angry DC fanboys, who want all the Dark Stuff and the Creative Alternate Stories, driving the studio narrative, when we still have millions of mainstream moviegoers who only found out about Marvel's Black Panther or Captain Marvel when their movies came out.
Introducing them to "Dark JL" or "Alternate-Universe Superman" isn't going to help. At least the Spider-verse movie gave us a good explanation, and talked them through it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 31st, 2023, 8:30 pm

EricJ wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 5:32 pm
Am I the only one who sort of liked Gunn's version of Suicide Squad…
No, you're not the only one (hey, Dacey liked it too!), but I have no idea what this…
EricJ wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 5:32 pm
…pretty much Gunn taking a vacation from Marvel to spend his own money?
…means? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 1st, 2023, 3:16 am

It means he could do the Guardians movie and stay true to the Marvel spirit of the material, but once Warner handed him the keys to let him do anything he liked on SS2, he pretty much did...anything he liked.
Which came off a little too disjointed and self-indulgent, but we didn't care at the time, since we were so surprised it wasn't the first movie.

Phase II & III MCU had a very clear idea of the goal they were aiming for; Warner has NEVER had any plan in mind, and keep waiting for their next wunderkind to hand them one on a silver platter.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2023, 5:49 am

It was the spending of his own money. What’s that about?

The Suicide Squad *wasn't* a sequel. I’m not even sure what you’d call it, since it wasn’t a hard or even soft reboot either! It was just another version/attempt on basically the same material. Confusingly, it picked up characters from previous films, but kickstarted a new narrative. I still haven’t seen the Harley Quinn movie so don’t know how that plugs in to any of it…

No, WB never had a plan, other than "we want our own Avengers…NOW!" and couldn’t be bothered to build and wait for it. Snyder *did* have a plan, but was scuppered by two things: WB's insistence on getting to Justice League faster, and the audience's lack of enthusiasm for his dark and brooding take on what many perceive should be bright and colorful material.

Had Man Of Steel been bigger (a take in the $600-800 millions is what took Spidey back to Marvel after all), we would have gotten a direct sequel sooner and Snyder would arguably have been allowed to build out his characters leading up to League. Instead, WB panicked, turned Batman Vs Superman into the undercooked lead in to a direct Justice League film, and at that instant the stupidly named DCEU was already fragmented.

The standalones all had to act as prequels or alsorans to what was going to (but had already happened!) happen in League, at which point those films' creators splintered further and didn’t even keep continuity within those parameters. Add to that their loss of faith in Snyder and the whole League mess, and it was then all a fair game free for all, with the mini franchises within the franchise spinning out in all directions.

However, I do believe they had their guy in Snyder, love it or hate it, and should have let him build things out. As it is now, DC is such a mess, which is why Gunn was right, really, to hit that hard reset button. I’m surprised, in a way (but not really, given the deals and plans in place) that he didn’t cancel the Reevesverse as he’s calling it, and stopping any The Batmans in their tracks (or that Reeves wasn’t handed the DC reigns, frankly).

So we still have a two to three or even five year period that, instead of a new beginning, is going to be a continuation of a messy crossover, with the new DCU ramping up as the remnants of the old peters out or even carries on as another confusing aspect for more casual fans that don’t keep up with all this stuff where The Batmans and Jokers don’t connect with the DCU…or even each other!

Yep, messy for sure…