Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2023, 6:34 am

Just wait for the wide release in August. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 27th, 2023, 4:43 am

Ah, yes, that should be stated, too!

There is the rumor the 4K steelbook comes out in wide release August 1st, and the regular Blu-ray October 17th!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2023, 6:20 am

Just a regular 4K for me please. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foualier » February 28th, 2023, 10:51 pm

In the previous restoration, they forgot to restore the RKO title card which appear extremely dark. The leaves are black. It's the same background as in the “The End” title card, which was restored. I hope they fixed this but I doubt it.
cinderella-disneyscreencaps.com-1.jpg
cinderella-disneyscreencaps.com-1.jpg (144.6 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
cinderella-disneyscreencaps.com-8660.jpg
cinderella-disneyscreencaps.com-8660.jpg (287.07 KiB) Viewed 6917 times

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2023, 3:40 am

That’s a bit odd. Hopefully someone is on the ball with that. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 14th, 2023, 1:46 pm

Seems Vudu has the new restoration available. Someone shared a screenshot comparison. Beautiful lines!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2023, 8:39 pm

Oh, that’s nice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 16th, 2023, 9:00 am

I watched the Vudu transfer of the film...and it IS the newly restored one! And the RKO logo is actually still about as dark as it was in the previous restoration. But get this: in the "The End" title card, it's almost that dark, too. So it seems the orifinal film prints just filmed the RKO logo pretty dark, and the 2005 restoration artificially brightened the "The End" title card.

I had to watch the new, improved, more faithful restoration of my favorite movie on Vudu! Everything at first looked kind of duller. The first thing I thought was it didn't look as bright and vivid. But the lines were all there, perfectly intact! Cinderella's dull, brownish blonde hair felt wrong, but on the other hand, I do like it. I noticed Gus's shirt is almost always green now, not yellow. Lady Tremaine's red and purplish pink attire is now darker and more serious-looking. Cinderella's pink dress wasn't neon thankfully this time. Lady Tremaine's hair wasn't the same purple shade as her shawl like the 2005 restoration messed up. The Fairy Godmother's appearing was even more amazing and magical, and every last sparkle was there. The coach now looked even brighter as soon as it transformed, kind of a glowing bluish white. Cinderella's transformation was the most magical and amazing it has ever looked, with every sparkle intact, and she looked like an angel in that silver gown which also seemed to glow. "So This is Love" looked pink in the background and blue in the animated figures, no yellow glow in the background with neon turquoise figures in front of it. I did miss the pink glow from the palace as they walked in the garden, that is now a dull white, and it doesn't look as good in my opinion. The glass slipper also didn't look as purple as I remember loving as a child. But Cinderella entering the ball and leaving her slipper at midnight was silver, silver, beautiful, intact-lined, no-ghosted silver! The original animation mistakes were kept in. There seemed to be more contrast between light and shadow. It seemed the 2005 restoration had artifically brigthened everything.

So...all in all...WAY BETTER! I LOVE it! I actually would not mind popping in the old 2005 transfer Blu-ray every once in a while, as I like some of those colors and brightness sometimes, but I will watch this new 2023 transfer more often. I really think it will depend on my mood. But if you must choose one...THIS is the one. It's THE way to watch Walt Disney's masterpiece, Cinderella! Oh, finally God, what I really needed has come true!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 16th, 2023, 1:57 pm

I'm glad the dreams you wished for have come true!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2023, 5:32 pm

I see what you did there.

Glad you are pleased, Dusty. Yes, remember that the 2005 resto would have also been trying to make an old film blend more consistently with the DTV offerings, unfortunately, as a lot of the old classics were more prone to do. With those films largely confined to their own corner, the emphasis seems on 4K remasters in general to try and get back to any original film's intent, even though we know that’s not always the case either.

But Cindy seems to have been brought back relatively unscathed, which is good news all around! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 17th, 2023, 5:09 am

Thank you Daniel, and thank you, Ben! And you caught what I was doing in the end there, too!

I actually heard these 4K restorations of late were being outsourced to a company based mostly in Europe using archival negative prints and Disney isn't able to "mess" with them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 24th, 2023, 2:39 pm

The Blu-ray that comes bundled with the 4K is from the Signature Edition:

That's a gyp.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 24th, 2023, 9:24 pm

Not just a gyp. That's awful to restrict the new restoration to the 4K. That's pretty much a bait and switch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » March 25th, 2023, 12:09 am

It's not uncommon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 25th, 2023, 4:29 am

Unfortunate, but I guess the new resto is also on D+?