West Side Spielberg's Story

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: West Side Spielberg's Story

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2023, 7:52 am

I hated the new Krupke. That was pretty much the moment the film confirmed it would continue to fall apart for me and showed Spielberg has not a musical bone in his body, sadly. The whole thing was slow, not only the beginning, and lifeless. The guys are doing their best to bring the excitement to what should be the high-energy, "eleven o'clock" comedy number, but the set staging and overhyperactive camerawork is just killing it. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2024, 4:42 am

Interesting clip showing Natalie Wood’s actual singing voice (she was dubbed in the film by Marnie Nixon.). Also Tucker Smith’s (Ice) vs. Russ Tamblyn in the Jet song. (Although Tamblyn wasn’t dubbed for Krupke or Quintet.)

https://youtu.be/edWUQR8MvUQ?si=ZoeYVCzPBdzy4bmW
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2024, 7:25 am

Awesome documentary to look out for from the BBC called Secret Voices Of Hollywood that lifts the lid on all the people who provided vocals for the stars:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01hctw4

They did a cutdown to a hour but look for the full 90m version…tons of interviews with the likes of Marni Nixon, Thurl Ravenscroft and the like. Even if you know the facts and the hidden names, the examples on the way they integrated the actors with the singers is ear-opening!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2024, 9:21 am

Thanks Ben! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2024, 6:43 pm

Neat 1961/2021 Quintet "Supercut".