Up (Pixar's film)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 24th, 2011, 1:22 am

Up was still smurfing good, for smurf's sake!

(Don't you just love being able to cuss in smurf?) :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 24th, 2011, 2:15 am

anyone else think [popular movie] was overrated?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 24th, 2011, 10:48 am

Does anyone else think that (popular movie from Pixar) was overrated?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Anyone else think Up was overrated?

Post by droosan » March 24th, 2011, 1:05 pm

In what part of my post did I say that I thought Up was overrated..? :?

It is possible to state my own opinion on the movie (which, BTW, is mostly positive) without whole-heartedly supporting the (admittedly tired) premise within the thread title. :|

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 24th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Wasn't really commenting on your post, Droo. :)

Was just commenting on how this is the second topic of it's kind here in less than a month.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Anyone else think Up was overrated?

Post by droosan » March 24th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Well .. this is an animation discussion forum .. and the topic (however :roll: its title may be) is a valid one.

But at least you're not saying 'smurf' for every other word .. so, I'm thankful for that..! :mrgreen:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 24th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Hey, stop talking about smurf behind my back!

(Seriously, I'm getting sick of it, too... My 12-step guide to quitting smurf is telling me to take it easy as I transition away from smurf!)

Nah, Up isn't overrated... Seeing two cultural icons collide in an animated gif IS overrated!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » March 24th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Just when I thought I was the only one on this site with a bit of perspective ;)

Nonetheless, Up suffers from the same "simplistic antagonist plot" issue as Toy Story 3 and many other Pixar films.

The movie starts out great with a story about an old man mourning the death of his wife, dealing with issues such as mortality and lost dreams. But about half way into the movie, the directors must have ran out of ideas, so they introduced this gratuitously evil antagonist, the old man Muntz. He wanted to capture that bird which I saw very little of in the movie and cared even less about. And during the dramatic end-scenes, the main characters are literally being chased by this villain, who is wielding a shotgun, and stereotypical, ugly dogs are flying around in little airplanes – and I find myself confused, wondering where the actual plot disappeared.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2011, 10:23 am

RESET!

George: No. More. Smurfing. None. Save it for the Smurfs thread only, when the movie comes out.

ibrmacf wrote:"Anyone else think Up was overrated?"
Um, anyone else think this question is about two years too old? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Up (Pixar's film)

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Spin-off coming to Disney+:
Dug Days, which premieres exclusively on Disney+ in Fall 2021, is a new collection of shorts that follows the humorous misadventures of Dug, the lovable dog from Disney and Pixar’s “Up.” Each short features everyday events that occur in and around Dug’s backyard, all through the exciting (and delightfully distorted) eyes of our favorite talking dog. The shorts are written and directed by Academy Award® nominee and Emmy® Award winner Bob Peterson and produced by Kim Collins.

Looks cute, plus I'm a sucker for Dug.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 28th, 2023, 2:16 pm

A new short will play in front of Elemental:

Originally was going to premiere on Disney+ in February. Feels like forever since a Pixar flick was paired with a short! What a nice tribute to Ed Asner.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2023, 6:05 pm

Well there's a surprise! Looks like they want to make Pixar special again! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 28th, 2023, 6:29 pm

And (ahemolaf) it's not a repurposed half-hour TV special!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 28th, 2023, 11:10 pm

Aw, that's sweet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 30th, 2023, 2:07 pm

Some info:
Ed Asner returns to voice the square-headed, endearingly crotchety old man, with the performance recorded just months before his unfortunate passing. The short film takes place after a local senior center takes in Charles Muntz's talking dogs, and the woman who adopts Beta happens to also have a thing for Carl and wants to go on a date.
Bob Peterson shared this on press day:
Bob Peterson wrote:No one will ever replace Ellie for Carl, this is just honoring her and Ellie saying, 'Go have a new adventure,' and this really puts it to the test. Should he do this or should he not?
Sounds like it will be a fitting epilogue.