Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » November 3rd, 2009, 6:33 am

Ben wrote:Watch the language, Deco.

I also took out another minor word which would have normally passed, but given the clear anger in your post, it seemed appropriate to remove it. That you started misspelling words towards the end of your post indicates how upset you are with this, but there are other ways to express this.

The supplements in the package are unfortunate, yes, but this is only Disney marketing, and <I>all</I> their current reissues have been dropping important supplements from previous releases. As I say, they need a reason for people to buy them again on the next go around...one of the things I've worried about with Blu-ray is that if they put out the <I>perfect</I> edition in terms of image, sound and extras first time, then what's left to entice us next time?

Well, the answer is clear: while many films basically get one shot, perennials like Snow White and many of the Disneys, will always be prone to holding things back, or creating new documentaries and the like, to get us to add the next edition and the new edition after that. Unfortunately it's the way it goes. With BD's stunning quality, I can't see the films getting any more sharper, except for <I>maybe</I> when we jump to 4K or 8K, and that's still a long way off, so the only way to get us to buy what we already have is better extras.

And with the Snow White BD, that won't exactly be hard. While the added shorts in HD were very welcome, there was much left out (apart from the 20 seconds of the Cauldron scene, I actually missed the several other reconstructed scenes more), but these will probably be back in future editions.

But...basically, it's not like we don't have our LDs or DVDs with this material on it to view anyway, and it could well be that the Cauldron scene especially could not be mastered for HD for whatever reason at this time. But, with its inclusion likely in the next edition (probably for the 80th in 2017) then they already know that's at least one copy they've already sold to you. ;)
Sorry I used a word that offended you Ben ( BTW it was not the F word folks!! ). You are right I was , and still am furious that Disney missed out any of the Deleted Sequences ( in the original Laserdisc release even the Witch?Cauldron Pencil test was included !!! ) but I would just have preferred all of the deleted sequences to have been restored and included in the new reference HD copy of Snow White , and as I said before , I feel about The Witch At The Cauldron scene , short though it was defines the Wicked Queen's chilling evil character!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » November 3rd, 2009, 6:33 am

Ben wrote:Watch the language, Deco.

I also took out another minor word which would have normally passed, but given the clear anger in your post, it seemed appropriate to remove it. That you started misspelling words towards the end of your post indicates how upset you are with this, but there are other ways to express this.

The supplements in the package are unfortunate, yes, but this is only Disney marketing, and <I>all</I> their current reissues have been dropping important supplements from previous releases. As I say, they need a reason for people to buy them again on the next go around...one of the things I've worried about with Blu-ray is that if they put out the <I>perfect</I> edition in terms of image, sound and extras first time, then what's left to entice us next time?

Well, the answer is clear: while many films basically get one shot, perennials like Snow White and many of the Disneys, will always be prone to holding things back, or creating new documentaries and the like, to get us to add the next edition and the new edition after that. Unfortunately it's the way it goes. With BD's stunning quality, I can't see the films getting any more sharper, except for <I>maybe</I> when we jump to 4K or 8K, and that's still a long way off, so the only way to get us to buy what we already have is better extras.

And with the Snow White BD, that won't exactly be hard. While the added shorts in HD were very welcome, there was much left out (apart from the 20 seconds of the Cauldron scene, I actually missed the several other reconstructed scenes more), but these will probably be back in future editions.

But...basically, it's not like we don't have our LDs or DVDs with this material on it to view anyway, and it could well be that the Cauldron scene especially could not be mastered for HD for whatever reason at this time. But, with its inclusion likely in the next edition (probably for the 80th in 2017) then they already know that's at least one copy they've already sold to you. ;)
Sorry I used a word that offended you Ben ( BTW it was not the F word folks!! ). You are right I was , and still am furious that Disney missed out any of the Deleted Sequences ( in the original Laserdisc release even the Witch?Cauldron Pencil test was included !!! ) but I would just have preferred all of the deleted sequences to have been restored and included in the new reference HD copy of Snow White , and as I said before , I feel about The Witch At The Cauldron scene , short though it was defines the Wicked Queen's chilling evil character!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 3rd, 2009, 6:54 am

Yes, it did, but Walt cut that himself. Back in 1937, what was <I>in</I> the movie was chilling enough.

Back in 1993, we were all wowed by CGI dinos, and they don't have the same effect on us now do they? In 1937, never mind that it was a "cartoon", audiences had never seen a fully color transformation scene with such pacing, music and character before...it would have had quite an effect in itself.

Yep, the scene should be there, but cleaned up? That's never going to happen. Deleted scenes <I>should</I> look a bit old and ropey! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » November 10th, 2009, 3:32 am

I am having difficulty with accessing various parts of the Hyperion Avenue experience on the Snow White Blu Ray.

There are various images which , when clicked upon , change colour and lead the Blu Ray disc onto the next section of the disc. I'm finding that it freezes aqnd doesn't get onto the next section , for example the photograph of the Witch live action model/actor doesn't seem to work. I have a Sony 350 model Blu Ray player.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 10th, 2009, 7:10 am

You may need a firmware upgrade. I know my disc wouldn't even play until I got the latest version of my player software.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » November 10th, 2009, 7:44 am

Dear Ben, how do I get my Sony software download please?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 10th, 2009, 8:36 am

No idea! Try the Sony webpage for a start:

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/blu-ray-disc-player

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 25th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Our View on the many editions of Snow White was posted yesterday, marking the release of the new restoration on DVD:

http://animatedviews.com/2009/inside-th ... mparisons/

In short, our advice is if you can only play DVD, find or keep your Platinum Editions for the <I>much</I> better supplements, but if you can play or are planning for Blu-ray, the BD, DVD and Book Collector's Set, found for around $40 online, represents the best allover value for money.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » November 30th, 2009, 4:27 pm

I was bored and decided to look at the bonus features for this film and they were great. I never knew that Walt put so much of his career in the hands of Snow White. Oh, where would I be today if Snow White wasn't a big hit....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Post by Daniel » March 30th, 2023, 6:16 pm

Sounds like a 4K is in the offing!
The Digital Bits wrote:In terms of new release news today, we’ve learned from industry sources that Walt Disney’s original animated Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) is coming to 4K Ultra HD later in the year! Like Cinderella, the title certainly makes sense as part of the studio’s 100th anniversary celebration. Rest assured, we’ll post more information on this as it comes in, particularly if any kind of official news breaks from the studio.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2023, 6:38 pm

Heigh-Ho! Now *this* is the one to get the 100 treatment! And hopefully it comes out before its December release date so it just squeaks in during its 85th anniversary year! Noice! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 31st, 2023, 1:45 am

Absolutely Ben! Snow White is Disney's most important film!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2023, 3:56 am

I think the three all-time most important Walt-era feature films are Snow White, for kicking it all off by way of expansion, Cinderella (you'll be pleased to hear!) for keeping it all going at a precarious time, and Mary Poppins, for confirming Walt's place in the Hollywood establishment and setting up that reputation for the years to come following his passing.

And it’s ironic that in terms of eras, both come in almost perfect thirty year periods: it was in 1934 that work stated on Snow White, and Poppins was released in 1964. In terms of the animated pictures, Snow White released in 1937, and Walt’s last film, Jungle Book, came out in 1967.

Makes one realise just how incredible Walt was, to achieve all that he did within those thirty year periods, depending which start and end date you favor. Amazing man.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » March 31st, 2023, 6:21 am

I'm glad about this, though I wish there were more sources cause the Digital Bits can be a hit or miss.

Hopefully we'll see more 4K releases in the future. This is currently my wishlist:

However, I'll probably get all of their hand drawn films.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2023, 10:45 am

So…basically everything! ;)