Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Ben » May 23rd, 2023, 7:38 pm

I still wanna know what was wrong with the sea shells!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 23rd, 2023, 8:30 pm

I honestly thought Disney had stopped working with Mcdonald's for Happy Meals bonuses as it promoted unhealthy eating. Or maybe that was just in Australia where now we often get books to go with our meals. Healthy minds, unhealthy bodies. [Other movie studios still provide toys for Aussie Maccas]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » May 23rd, 2023, 11:18 pm

They stopped in my country a long time ago.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 24th, 2023, 7:03 am

Disney made up and has been working with them for some years now but have the option to go to burger king or wendys also if they choose.

We just had gotg vol 3 toys here at mcdonalds along with masked singer, and non disney like teen titans go, super mario and others.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2023, 2:20 pm

Subway is the only option I remember them saying, but yes, they teamed up again in 2018 with an agreement to offer healthier choices.

HSN is offering an exclusive version of the soundtrack which includes a bonus track called "Impossible Child":

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 24th, 2023, 3:26 pm

I'm assuming "Impossible Child" is a song for Triton, who didn't get one in the original?
(And good thing, too: A riot is an ugly thing...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2023, 3:29 pm

Yah.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » May 24th, 2023, 4:09 pm

I just saw the movie and overall I thought it was meh but not as awful as previous remakes, I just don't care for these. I thought it followed the animated film pretty closely with some changes here and there, but the execution is just not as good as the original, there's an overall lack of energy and everything is slower (I had a similar feeling with the Aladdin remake). They didn't really add things, but they rather extended things that were already there in the original.

The better parts for me were with Ariel and Eric on land, everything under the sea just feels bleak and uninspired and boring so it was a nice change to have light and an actual location (rather than ugly CGI everywhere). I did like the bonding between them, and overall I'd say that their characterization is similar to the original characters' (unlike the characters from Beauty and the Beast).

The weakest parts for me were Triton and Ursula. In the original film Ursula had much more nuance to her mannerism and humor. In the remake McCrathy just shouts loudly all the time, and Triton doesn't feel menacing when he should be.

Awkwafina is not as annoying as I thought she would be, and both scuttle and Sebastian got a lot of laughs from the audience.

I also got the feeling that people really loved it and they even applauded a few times and when the movie ended.

Will I watch it again? I might watch it one more time but that's it for me. In the end I think it's just like the other remakes - uninspired and unnecessary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2023, 8:15 pm

Thanks for sharing. What did you think of the sisters? Did they get more screen time?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » May 24th, 2023, 10:29 pm

They did get more than in the original but not by that much.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 25th, 2023, 5:30 am

How was The Scuttlebutt in the film? The radio station I listen to has had 3 different DJs on 2 different shows rave about how amazing the number is. On record I found it tiresome, unoriginal, half the vocals painful to listen to and not funny at all. Do the visuals elevate the song to amazingness or is this just another case of people worshipping at the altar of LMM?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » May 25th, 2023, 5:33 am

I didn't care for it even in the film. That song is so out of place and doesn't fit in my opinion.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 25th, 2023, 1:07 pm

Ouch!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 25th, 2023, 4:19 pm

For those score aficionados, Menken's score is now available to listen to in its 'entirety' with the release of the Deluxe Edition. Hopefully it will be a more rewarding experience than the one i had listening to the songs for the first time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » May 26th, 2023, 1:33 am

The score was disappointing, not that it was bad (well it was a little bit generic, with no offense), but it seems that Menken rarely used motifs from the original film.
The score itself didn't really sound "Menken" too, it sounded more like Mark Isham's work from Once Upon a Time.

I mean where is this? Where is the Menken who did this?

I guess he wanted to do something new...