Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Post by Ben » May 13th, 2023, 3:14 am

Oh yeah, for sure! *And* it had the right colors from the get-go! I donut think that almost one-hour making of has ever turned up on another release either…?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 7th, 2023, 8:43 pm

Wide 4K release confirmed…just put my order in for the "regular" Amaray edition, which streets Aug 1st.

Now just for the DMR to offer the remake around the same time… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 19th, 2023, 2:22 pm

Some info on the restoration:
Media Play News wrote:Kevin Schaeffer, director of restoration for Walt Disney Studios, said the restoration process included pulling the original nitrate negative from the Library of Congress, and scanning the successive exposure color records in 4K. A so-called “cleaning pass” removed dirt and as many artifacts as possible. To make sure the restoration process didn’t lose any of the detail or artistic choices of the filmmakers, Schaeffer said the team turned to Disney Animation experts, including Michael Giaimo and Eric Goldberg.

Their input, and others, proved to be a winning combination. Working with Dorothy McKim (special projects and 2D animation producer for Walt Disney Animation Studios), and Bob Bagley (digital imaging manager for Disney Animation), the team was able to restore and preserve the rich colors, contrast, and accuracy of the original cels (a transparent sheet of celluloid) and artwork.

“Working with our restoration team along with internal technical experts, outside vendors (like Mike Underwood at Picture Shop Hollywood) and advisors from Walt Disney Animation Studios, we were able to make this 1950 classic look and sound better than ever,” Schaeffer said in a statement.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2023, 8:01 pm

Yes, great. Now do that for all the other hand-drawn films, or at least all the Walt-era ones! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2023, 5:12 pm

Cinders turned up today! Looks to have literally only dropped the DVD from the wide package, the rest of the design looks as is from the DMC included-DVD version, including the nice white 4K top border on the front, which would be a nice touch for Disney to retain on their upcoming animated 4Ks, esp Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. (Actually, VHS-era white 4K *cases* would be pretty neat!) I very much look forward to projecting this at some point "soon"ish, though I fear it will likely be nearer Christmas or even the new year if I don't get a chance to sneak a peek myself sometime earlier. Glad to have this in hand…standard case-and-slip does exist and is here! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 3rd, 2023, 11:09 pm

Saw Cendrillon in stores yesterday (bilingual packaging). Given it's based on the Perrault literary version, it actually makes sense to see the French title on the package. Might make it part of my last DMC purchase.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » August 4th, 2023, 12:23 am

I need to buy that steelbook as a double dip! It has my favorite scene surrounded by classic silver! But as droosan said, that Cinderella Masterpiece deluxe set (laserdisc and VHS, though I only had the VHS) was the best in terms of packaging. Thank you Daniel and Ben for your info.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 4th, 2023, 5:32 am

CAV LD box for the win, definitely. Even in terms of extras, really, too.

I love Rand's justification for his French-branded cover. ;)

I’m not crazy on any of the steelbooks. As I said before, Cinders especially looks like she’s trapped in a "magic mirror" on the front of that one! And she’s off-model. Not the right look for this title. As for the rest of the range, it bugs me that Disney are doing the Warners100 thing of including films they had no part in.

According to WB, they made Wizard Of Oz and Citizen Kane in their hundred year history, and apparently Star Wars is a Disney movie. No. Not only was SW a 20th Century-Fox film, shepherded through personally by Alan Ladd Jt, but Disney *turned it down*!

Obviously I get why the studios include their catalog titles, but just have separate anniversaries for those companies. LucasFilm is almost 50, and Marvel is 15 going on 20. Rebrand all those movies at the appropriate time. Don't retro brand things you didn’t make!

/rant ;)