Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

DVD Exclusives...

Post by GeorgeC » January 31st, 2006, 9:50 pm

Yes, they are VERY annoying, but sometimes worth looking for.

Between them, Wal-Mart and Best Buy have had on the order of AT LEAST 20 exclusives over the past 2 years and it won't stop any time soon.

For instance, Best Buy released the Battlestar Galactica (new SCI-FI TV series) Season 1 set MONTHS before other stores. Unfortunately for all the suckers who bought it, it was an NTSC transfer of the British release and very lacking in extra features. When the official American BG release came along, it had extras PLUS the original Sci-Fi BG mini-series.

Sometimes, it pays to wait.

Most recently, Wal-Mart seems to be getting the better of the exclusives.

The limited edition Episode III DVD release at Wal-Mart featured an extra DVD bundled with the regular E3 DVD that had documentaries about Luke and Anakin on it. (Yep, I bought my E3 disc at W-M. Generally speaking, you're not missing much if you DIDN'T get this bundle but it's still a neat extra.) Today's release of The Corpse Bride saw Wal-Mart get yet ANOTHER limited edition release. This time it was a slipcover that had a nice lenticular sticker on it of the main male lead with his two female leads AND a small storybook shrinkwrapped with the DVD!

Next week, yet another Wal-Mart exclusive bundle hits stores. An exclusive 2-disc bundle of the Wallace and Gromit movie will be released...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2006, 12:37 pm

The Corpse Bride bundle is the same that will be released here in the UK next week, with the book.

Wallace & Gromit is a 2-disc here in the UK, which bundles the Cracking Contraption shorts in with the standard edition.

Will be interesting to see what the WM bundle offers...George, are you trying to tease me with these!?!?

You know I'm gonna end up asking you to pick one up for me one day... ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 4th, 2006, 7:46 am

You're right.

The WM exclusives are probably the same ones being released in the UK as standard releases.

(Still, for some reason I couldn't resist the lenticular paperslip cover AND the shrinkwrapped mini-book on The Corpse Bride. That film wasn't even by a far stretch my favorite animated film of last year, either!)

One thing about the WM-exclusive Star Wars Episode III release that was KIND of funny...

The documentaries on the extras disc released with the WM-pack included UNALTERED footage from the original versions of the Star Wars movies! Yep, it's the first and only time that you can see Sebastian Shaw as middle-aged Anakin Skywalker doing his best impression of Casper the Friendly Ghost on an authorized DVD.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 7th, 2006, 7:40 am

Wow, cool.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 8th, 2006, 8:37 am

Interestingly, the special cover and book bundle for The Corpse Bride came from Future Shop (currently owned by Best Buy) here in Canada. My copy's in the mail, so I haven't seen it yet.

GeorgeC

GL Caves in... Original Star Wars out in September!

Post by GeorgeC » May 4th, 2006, 7:01 am

Yep, it's official at the Digital Bits. (See today's update at www.thedigitalbits.com )

After years of pirated editions, LucasFilm is FINALLY releasing the original, unmolested, UN-SPECIAL theatrical editions of the first three Star Wars films on DVD!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hoagiebot » May 4th, 2006, 9:27 am

Praise be to the force!!! That is the greatest, most fantastic, most utterly cool news that I have heard in a very long time! Yeah! Thanks for posting that story here, and may Lucas continue to amend his ways by burning every copy ever made of Episodes I, II, and III and starting over with them so that they can actually have a chance of one day being good as well!
There's a 68.71% chance that I'm right.
END OF LINE

[b][i][url=http://www.projectdestinystudios.com/]Project Destiny Studios™[/url]
[url=http://www.foxee.net/]Foxee.Net - Home of Foxee™ the Interactive Arctic Blue Fox![/url][/i][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 4th, 2006, 1:30 pm

This makes me very happy. I wonder if GL watched that episode of South Park?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 4th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Interesting.

Funnily enough, we were watching "A New Hope" last night at my house, and I said, "Someday, I want to see the unaltered version, but it'll never come to DVD". Pretty weird, huh?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 4th, 2006, 7:31 pm

I like all the SW movies, every version of them. Don't really feel like getting that picky about it. Of course, the non-Special editions should've been included with each of the special edition DVDs, making each one a 2-disc set.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 4th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Isn't that kinda like what Spielberg did with E.T.? He had the regular version there too, thank goodness.

"Hippies"...right. :roll:
Thanks for posting that story here, and may Lucas continue to amend his ways by burning every copy ever made of Episodes I, II, and III and starting over with them so that they can actually have a chance of one day being good as well!

That would be really cool. GL could just say that the whole thing occured in an alternate universe, or that it was a "possible" version of what the Star Wars timeline might have been like. Hence all the bad continuity. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Well, at least this proves George "The orignals don't exists anymore" Lucas is a liar.

And all this fuss??

I don't get how anyone can't see that it's just to make more money. Demand?? Oh pooh...he realises that this is the last Christmas he can realistically release the originals on standard DVD before an eventual Hi-Def release of the 2007 editions.

It's simply a case of "now or never" for these versions on this format, and thus one extra stream of revenue.

I'm sticking to my CAV box set and will get whatever uber-boxset comes out in the next gen format eventually.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 7th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Well, at least this proves George "The orignals don't exists anymore" Lucas is a liar.
Yeah, and that he thought up the entire story beforehand too. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2006, 6:58 pm

The Luke/Darth connection wasn't even in the first draft of Empre Strikes Back.

That twist came in drafts three and four, which just goes to show that GL speaketh sith, but padawan learners believe him anyway... :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 7th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Hoagiebot wrote:Praise be to the force!!! That is the greatest, most fantastic, most utterly cool news that I have heard in a very long time! Yeah! Thanks for posting that story here, and may Lucas continue to amend his ways by burning every copy ever made of Episodes I, II, and III and starting over with them so that they can actually have a chance of one day being good as well!
He won't get MY copies! (hides his precious prequels)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."