Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 16th, 2006, 2:01 pm

BTW in that story in O-Meon.com the writer totally disses Jim Hill, not mentioning his name but referring to the story he wrote about Cars supposadley underperforming BO and saying that "only someone living in the deep woods of New Hampshire" would believe what the story says.

JHM lives in New Hampshire, of course.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » June 16th, 2006, 2:05 pm

ShyViolet wrote:BTW in that story in O-Meon.com the writer totally disses Jim Hill, not mentioning his name but referring to the story he wrote about Cars supposadley underperforming BO and saying that "only someone living in the deep woods of New Hampshire" would believe what the story says.

JHM lives in New Hampshire, of course.
Oh Snap! :o
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 16th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Chuck and Jim are friends so I think Chuck was just making a playful dig at Jim.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 16th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Oh, O.K. That makes sense I guess.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 16th, 2006, 3:09 pm

There was a funny playful trading of jabs between Animated News and Cartoon Brew a year or so ago.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » June 16th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Well - I found a MAJOR story error in Cars. I'm surprised they let this one slip.

SPOILER ALERT

Doc Hudson is a 1951 Hudson Hornet.

According to the trophies, he won the Piston Cup in '51, '52, & '53.

We are told at the beginning race that no rookie has ever won the Piston Cup but in order for Doc to have won it in '51 he would have to have been a rookie since that's the year he was manufactured.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 16th, 2006, 3:31 pm

There was a funny playful trading of jabs between Animated News and Cartoon Brew a year or so ago.
During the time of SaveDisney, Jim Hill had some kind of a running feud with Al Lutz. (MiceAge) I guess it might have just been in fun.

Oh, and then there was his feud with SaveDisney, which wasn't QUITE as much in fun... :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » June 16th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Brandon Neeld wrote:Well - I found a MAJOR story error in Cars. I'm surprised they let this one slip.

SPOILER ALERT

Doc Hudson is a 1951 Hudson Hornet.

According to the trophies, he won the Piston Cup in '51, '52, & '53.

We are told at the beginning race that no rookie has ever won the Piston Cup but in order for Doc to have won it in '51 he would have to have been a rookie since that's the year he was manufactured.
wow. i never thought of that. Very nice job :D
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » June 17th, 2006, 4:36 am

Story error, eh? Hmm... that very well could be. I don't imagine they did car releases like they do nowadays (for example, the 2007 models will begin selling soon, if they haven't already). If they did, there wouldn't necessarily be a problem, because then Doc could have been in the 1950 racing season (depending on when in the year it started) as a fresh-from-the-manufacturer car.

That, of course, is a stretch. :P

Perhaps the format of the race has changed enough that they can't hold the current race to the old standards and vice versa. Which would kinda suck for Doc... to have his awesome rookieness be obliterated (in the "people forgetting about the good ol' times" tone of the movie, even!).

Or even more probable, Pixar just goofed. And I'm fine with that - especially since I don't recall the movie specifically saying he was that particular model. An average moviegoer would just get that he was an old car and life could go on.

Still... details.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 17th, 2006, 1:54 pm

No buddy things going on in The Incredibles?

I guess we'll rule out Bob and Frozone's friendship then...or Bob and his wife's bickering...or Syndrome's banter with Bob...or...

--------------

Not sure when Cars opens here, but I'll see it. Unfortunately, I'm not the best person to ask about European attitudes...been a Yankee-phile all my life since growing up on Walt-era DisneyLand re-runs when I was a kid, so I'm very steeped in the US culture.

BUT...I will say that international audiences didn't have a problem with NASCAR in Herbie: Fully Loaded, and I doubt very much that they'll have a problem here. Formula 1 is very hotly followed in Europe and at the end of the day, car racing is car racing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » June 17th, 2006, 8:35 pm

Ben wrote:No buddy things going on in The Incredibles?

I guess we'll rule out Bob and Frozone's friendship then...or Bob and his wife's bickering...or Syndrome's banter with Bob...or...
Heh. Yeah really. And while we're at it, let's just forget all about Dash and Vi learning to get along and act as a team. ^__~

And hey, isn't there even a character named Buddy? XD Haha.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 18th, 2006, 3:37 am

That's stretching it horribly though. The Incredibles wasn't a buddy movie. They had a whole team, and some superhero friends, but it wasn't anywhere near like Buzz & Woody, Sully and Mike, and Marlin & Dory.

Of course, I also didn't think that Cars or A Bug's Life were buddy movies either. Flik works with a whole team of characters, and not just one friend. And Cars... you could say Mater is the "buddy" aspect of it, but Cars has too huge of a cast for Mater to play a dominent "buddy" role.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » June 18th, 2006, 4:05 am

No, I know what you mean. The Incredibles really wasn't a "buddy movie". If anything else, it was more about teamwork. And you're right about A Bug's Life and Cars.

Of all the Pixar films, the one that had the best example of characters who were buddies was most likely Monster's Inc. Mike and Sulley were buds to begin with, even if there was a little conflict between them at one point. Marlin and Dory became buddies, but Marlin was most definitely uncomfortable with Dory for the longest time before warming up to her. Woody and Buzz were far from being buddies before things kinda clicked for both of them about the way things were.

Or is that the wrong way to look at all this?

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 18th, 2006, 11:33 am

PixarVixen wrote:No, I know what you mean. The Incredibles really wasn't a "buddy movie". If anything else, it was more about teamwork. And you're right about A Bug's Life and Cars.

Of all the Pixar films, the one that had the best example of characters who were buddies was most likely Monster's Inc. Mike and Sulley were buds to begin with, even if there was a little conflict between them at one point. Marlin and Dory became buddies, but Marlin was most definitely uncomfortable with Dory for the longest time before warming up to her. Woody and Buzz were far from being buddies before things kinda clicked for both of them about the way things were.

Or is that the wrong way to look at all this?

~~=oP
Well I understand that Marlion & Dory/Woody and Buzz weren't friends to begin with, but the whole two movies centered around the PAIR of each movie doing whatever it was they were trying to do. They worked together anyway. (yes finding nemo also cut back to Nemo numeroous times. It's like... half a buddy movie)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 18th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Hey, "Incredibles" DID have a character named "Buddy". ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."