Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2007, 9:16 pm

i still contend that this film will be capable of best picture. yeah ,i know, Sicko has everyones shorts in a knot.

Nah, no way Sicko could get a Best Pic nom. It's a documentary, for one, and I also think (even though I agree with a lot of his views--not all, but some) that Michael Moore has fallen out of favor with the Academy. After winning Best Doc in early 2004 and then going on a long anti-Bush rant right on stage, I don't think we'll see him on that stage again.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » August 10th, 2007, 2:46 am

...unless there are free hot dogs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » August 10th, 2007, 9:06 pm

killed a 10 banger rattle snake with a hockey stick today. nasty bugger. one of the dogs cornered it. gorgeous design, a rattle snake. it's the 5th one i've killed in the last 10 years. i'm not really proud of it though but i can't have them around so close to the house with kids and dogs. the first 2 i blasted with a Rem 870. finally i started skinning them and giving them to Marin County hippies as presents. i tell them it has some kind of "karma" crap affixed to the pelt. usually they turn them into fanny packs or wrap them around their silly silver tinker hats.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 10th, 2007, 9:28 pm

Spaz, this board would not be the same without you! :D

...unless there are free hot dogs.

LOL! :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 11th, 2007, 3:51 am

Ultimate Disney wrote:Sadly, it appears that this critically-acclaimed hit will arrive on DVD in the pared-down mold of Cars rather than Pixar's earlier triumphant two-disc sets.
Bummer. :(

Here's the cover art, though: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/images/q-s/ratdvd-lg.jpg

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2007, 7:46 am

Yep...you're all gonna HAVE to go out and buy Blu-Ray! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 11th, 2007, 10:09 am

Dagnab! :x

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » August 11th, 2007, 1:20 pm

At least the DVD art looks decent. But still... Disney, please let the Pixar releases maintain their awesome.

You're killing the awesome! :mad:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 11th, 2007, 2:19 pm

True...Although most of the characters are in poses we've already seen them in.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Actually, I'm surprised they've announced this yet. Was expecting maybe end of August at the earliest.

Yep, sounds like Rat and Cars will offer so much more on BRD... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » August 11th, 2007, 5:13 pm

I personally, am not a fan of whoever is making cover art for Disney DVD's these days (with the exception of perhaps to the Pixar Short Films Collection: Vol 1). It doesn't seem at all as if the cover art is thought through. The Incredibles DVD cover art was great. I love the Incredibles DVD cover art. This is just as bad for me as the Cars DVD cover art. They even have Linguini imitating Lightning McQueen looking up!
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » August 11th, 2007, 8:20 pm

bawpcwpn wrote:I personally, am not a fan of whoever is making cover art for Disney DVD's these days (with the exception of perhaps to the Pixar Short Films Collection: Vol 1). It doesn't seem at all as if the cover art is thought through. The Incredibles DVD cover art was great. I love the Incredibles DVD cover art. This is just as bad for me as the Cars DVD cover art. They even have Linguini imitating Lightning McQueen looking up!
My thoughts (almost) exactly. This Ratatouille cover art looks rubbish to me... Sorry... Whoever did it just took some PR materials, cut out all main characters and put them on parisian themed background. Bad overloaded composition, no chemistry between characters, no eye contact, lack of general concept. It's just another example of bad commercial design... It's sad. Same goes for Cars DVD cover... I miss those maybe not very ambitious but well designed and quite charming DVD covers like those for A Bug's Life, Monsters Inc. or even Finding Nemo. I thought that even The Incredibles Cover was like a step down from those previous covers (I really hoped that incredibles cover will maintain that graphic look of incredits - at least they made inside of the cover to adopt ASIFA DVD cover version which I really like - http://www.asifa-hollywood.org/hello/20 ... s_swag.jpg ). Why the hell put there all main characters? I would prefer The Incredibles DVD cover to look like their OST cover or adopt one of those wonderful not overcrowded posters like this: http://www.impawards.com/2004/posters/i ... s_ver2.jpg
Wouldn't it be cool if Cars DVD share cover art with Cars OST cover ? http://www.colonnesonore.net/public/cars.jpg
I know I'm a dreamer ;) Kids have to recognize their favourite characters on the cover to make their parents buy the DVDs in ennormous quantities, but still... would be nice to see Exclusive Collectors Edition witch simple and elegant cover at like this ;)
As for Ratatouille I understand reasons why they can't put one of those exceptional cut-out-like 2d poster designs on the cover, but even the carrot poster would make much more appealing cover than actual one... :(
Last edited by Kaszubas on August 12th, 2007, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » August 12th, 2007, 1:39 am

Just got back from a screening of Ratatouille. Loved it.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 12th, 2007, 12:42 pm

The DVD cover also does that thing most Disney releases do knowadays - the title of the film is smack in the middle with the main characters positioned around it - I hate that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 14th, 2007, 11:16 am

At least the DVD art looks decent. But still... Disney, please let the Pixar releases maintain their awesome.

You're killing the awesome!
I think the whole BRD thing is also very much the Pixar brain trust's decision, not just Disney's. I think it's been said by many that these guys LOVE technology and extras and love it even more when it's cutting-edge Blu-Ray.

It's hard to accept and is kind of heartbreaking, but I doubt the fact that many cannot afford a whole new system/double-dipping is on these guys' minds much. :?

If the Trust really wanted "the people" to have access to all this stuff through regular DVDs, they would have used the power they have now to do something.

The paltry one-discer for Cars vs. the loaded BRD for Cars AND Ratatouille is all you need to know. :( Wi th all due respect to Pixar and their fans, I doubt that Disney "forced" them to skimp on extras for Cars the first time around and said: don't you dare put any really cool extras on this until you're Blu-Ray!

If anything, I think Disney would have preferred Pixar to put more stuff on regular DVDs. (In order to reach a wider audience than they would with Blu-Ray) Like Apple, Pixar thinks in terms of people buying cutting edge technology no matter what the cost, or if not, then cutting edge technology for the ages, even if not many do not have access to it.

As long as it's "progress" and the important people, like film critics, technology experts and writers can access the BRD discs, I don't think they care much. :?

(Kind of like the iphone deal :roll:)

(BTW this is only a basic generalization and no offense to anyone who is going Blu-Ray! :) )