The Little Mermaid

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 31st, 2007, 7:28 am

Great title,Ben :D.
Daniel-i have a feeling that's what it's going to be (also i heard that the screen test were very good so i have a feeling that this film might be even better then Cinderellla III),maybe Ariel's mom got killed becouse of music.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 31st, 2007, 3:54 pm

I doubt it will exceed Cindy III, at least animation-wise. Story-wise, well, one can only hope.

At the very least, I hope the new villain is attractive! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 2nd, 2008, 5:53 am

Well,maybe not a better then Cinderella III but i have a feeling that this will be a great movie :D.
About the villain-i imgain her as an evil fish but we'll see :D.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » January 19th, 2008, 12:48 pm

Keep an eye on the OFFICIAL SITE to see an early sneak peek of the film - a nine minute clip due quite soon! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 19th, 2008, 1:45 pm

Justin-it's not the musical sneak peek from The Little Mermaid PE,right?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 19th, 2008, 2:33 pm

I doubt it, since that sneak peek wasn't even nine minutes to begin with, right? ;)

Ooh, I'm so exited!! Hope we get a look at the new villain, and I hope the animation looks a lot better then the musical preview!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Little Mermaid III

Post by Dusterian » January 19th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Daniel wrote:I doubt it will exceed Cindy III, at least animation-wise. Story-wise, well, one can only hope.

At the very least, I hope the new villain is attractive! ;)
What did you mean by this? I think Cinderella III had the best story out of any of the sequels. It's basically the alternate reality of Cinderella, what would happen if magic wasn't on her side, and what she would do if she had to go after the prince.

Story wise, The Little Mermaid III sounds like it will suck. Instead of the coolness of a villain gaining more power than before and changing time, so Cinderella has to save her love's life and her own happily ever after, we have Ariel's father banning music in Atlantica, and Ariel loves music so she has to go against her father...again. That's it. That's not exciting in the least, we even know how it will turn out: King Triton throws a concert, and because Ariel convinced her father to bring music back, she...misses it to go explore a sunken ship?!

As to an attractive villain...huh? Why do you hope she is attractive? Are you yet another fan of animated females, especially ones that dress in black and can hurt you, and wishes they were datable?

Anyway, I hope that the sneak peek comes soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » January 19th, 2008, 6:52 pm

Just revisited the PLATINUM EDITION DVD of 'The Little Mermaid' and can confirm it is not due to be the same clip.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 19th, 2008, 10:16 pm

That's good to hear. :)

Anticipation...
Dusterian wrote:What did you mean by this? I think Cinderella III had the best story out of any of the sequels.
Not what you were assuming. ;) Since from what we've heard, I was merely hoping LMIII's story is as-good, if not better then Cindy III.

Seriously, Cinderella III is one of my favorite sequels and I love it a LOT. I don't know about best, but it's definitely the most original and unique. The only real issues I had with the sequel, were the rushed begginning and the lackluster climax - Lady Tremaine did more with her cane, then she did with the wand; Ending wise, mind you.
Dusterian wrote:As to an attractive villain...huh? Why do you hope she is attractive? Are you yet another fan of animated females, especially ones that dress in black and can hurt you, and wishes they were datable?
Uh, no. :? The main reason is because that was one of my issues with LMII. Morgana is ugly, IMO. Look at Ursula, even on chubby side, she's very attractive!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Little Mermaid III

Post by Dusterian » January 19th, 2008, 10:39 pm

Oh, Dan (can I call you that, I figured you changed your username for a reason, but...), thanks for clearing that up. I think it's definately the best. I didn't see all the sequels, but I didn't have to. I mean, even with the anti-climax (hehe, I, too, agree that Tremaine could have done better/more), the rest is too good, and the goodness trumps the faults. The only one that can compete is The Lion King 1 1/2, because they're both like alternate versions of the originals, but it's not nearly as intrigueing or alarming as the stepmother who was already bad enough for Cinderella gaining all the powers of the universe. Not to mention I know The Lion King 1 1/2 is more of a parody and Cinderella is more dramatic and throws the characters into new, challenging situations. Besides, the ending with Anastasia's character-turn and Cinderella defending her and a transformation like the famous one from the original make the ending good. As for the "rushed beginning", I do wish it was done better, but I don't think that takes enough away from the story, it's hardly even part of the story. It's Cinderella's happily ever after, we don't need to know much, it's better to get quickly to the plot. The first Cinderella slowly established Cinderella's unhappy life before the real plot.

TLMIII will not be better. It just won't. We already heard the awful plot synopsis. It will only be better for people who love Ariel more than Cinderella...which is unfortunately a lot of people.

As for Morgana, ha, perhaps that just gives her another reason to feel inferior to Ursula and hate her! But seriously, I don't think the ugliness should matter so much, unless she's drawn ugly or animated ugly, as in badly. Abd if that's what you meant, I guess I don't get what people mean very much, do I?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 20th, 2008, 2:05 am

No, you do... this time at least. ;) I just don't find Morgana's character design appealing. She's too skinny and her hair is WAY to big. Nothing to do with being drawn badly.

About the plot for LMIII, I think that's a bit one sided, Dusterian. Yep, the plot synopsis sounds horrible, but who's to say Disney isn't just keeping things secret? The only thing keeping me positive about all this, is we heard LMIII tested positive in early screenings -- so much, that Disney apparently went in and touched up some scenes.

With the "rushed beginning", well, yeah it still irks me. Would've liked a slower pace, seeing what we saw, but more. Bruno not being there is another complaint of mine!

Lastly, I agree that with all of Cinders shortcoming, the good truly trumps it's faults. Regarding your stance between it and Lion King 1 1/2, oh heck yes, I agree! It's not even a competition between the two. Yes, I love 1 1/2, and yes, the animation is super close to theatrical quality (...that if I took a screenshot of JUST Timon and Pumbaa, you would probably say it was from the original.)

BUT - I got they were going for, I just didn't care for it. At least, not as much as other folks. Everytime they paused the movie, it ruined the flow for me. This was a new area/characters that I wanted to get a better idea of, but I didn't like being interrupted with 4th wall jokes. The one time it bugged me the most, was when it was dark and an exchange happened between Timon and Pumbaa, gah, why did they have to pause it!? :( At that exact moment, it was reaching something that felt lifted from the original. It was the movies goal, but I wish they would've cut down a few of those pauses...

Btw, yes, you can call me Dan. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 20th, 2008, 8:29 am

JustinWilliams wrote:Just revisited the PLATINUM EDITION DVD of 'The Little Mermaid' and can confirm it is not due to be the same clip.
Then i can't wait for the sneak peek :D i"m glad it's not the same clip.
Also i hope that the cover won't look like that (well,i think that the sisters and the music box with Triton and Ariel's mom will be on the cover but Ariel will have a clipart from the Princess marchandise and Flounder and Sebastian and maybe Marina Del Ray will be on the cover).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 21st, 2008, 2:49 pm

Oh my gosh! a NEW TRAILER FOR ARIEL'S BEGINING!:
http://video.homemediamagazine.com/?fr_ ... rf=sitemap
This is so great :D the animation is beautifull and i think that it will be even better then Cinderella III.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2008, 3:58 pm

The animation stinks!

This is no-where near the quality of Lion King 1.5, Bambi II or Cinderella III. All they've done here is overshade the characters to make them look more lush, which is what a lot of people mistake for better "animation".

This, I can see even from the trailer, looks to be about on par with the actual <I>personality animation</I> of the second film, or Cinderella II. There is seriously no progress from there.

I've yet to see any credits, but I'll bet right now that LMIII has been outsourced to the Japanese companies responsible for those earlier films and NOT the Australian crew who were <I>really</I> coming on in their approach and did make those better films mentioned above.

What makes this look "nice" is the lower cost now involved in putting light and shadows on the characters, but this does not equate to "beautiful" animation. There are quite a few things in there that look as TV animation as usual.

Such a shame that the DisneyTooners' traditional films are going out with this, another midquel/prequel instead of the well animated proper continuation they had with Cinders III.

Ho-hum... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 21st, 2008, 11:01 pm

The thing is, even if this was outsourced, it can't possibly be the same company responsible for Cinderella II - they closed down shortly after completing Cindy II. Of course, it could be another studio in Japan or possibly India.

With the trailer, I'm a little dissapointed. The animation looks exactly the way it did in musical sneak peek. What happened with those touch ups? Like I've been dreading, and already mentioned, the quality just doesn't compare with the likes of Cindy III etc. :(

I also didn't care, for what I can only assume were nods to LMII. However, it was kind of neat seeing young Triton and all of Ariel's sisters. Heh, one of the mermaids looked like Belle only with black hair.

Even though I'm not overly impressed, I'm still hopeful that LMIII will at least have a good story. Now, show the darn villain Disney!!