Movies of 2008

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2008, 8:23 am

Scary Movie 3 was a poor, poor let down. I never saw the fourth one. I've missed Date Movie, Epic Movie (and there was another one I think?) since then too.

I'm hoping this will be good for a couple of laughs, but the "trick" seems to be now to just ape existing scenes.

The reason why oldies but goldies The Big Bus, Airplane and The Naked Gun worked is because they were their own stories, with much influence and recognisable quotes from other sources, but very dramatic in their own right.

What they should have done here is create a new superhero that has <I>allusions</I> to those other heroes rather than just remaking Spider-Man as a comedy and throwing in another couple of references.

I mean, basing it on the early 2000s first Spidey dates it anyway, and didn't anyone learn anything from My Super-Ex Girlfriend or whatever it was called?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 10th, 2008, 10:09 am

I'm hoping this will be good for a couple of laughs, but the "trick" seems to be now to just ape existing scenes.
Yes, exactly. No imagination, no wit, nothing. Not only is it not "funny" anymore but there's no possible way you could ever even become slightly invested in the characters, since "it's all a joke" anyway.
The reason why oldies but goldies The Big Bus, Airplane and The Naked Gun worked is because they were their own stories, with much influence and recognisable quotes from other sources, but very dramatic in their own right.

So true. :) Another example of that, IMHO, is Galaxy Quest. That movie not only was a wonderful satire of Star Trek, (and sci-fi in general) but was warm, touching, even exciting, so much more than just a "parody" or "spoof."

(I always loved the Naked Gun series but I don't even think I even knew what it was supposed to be parodying--old cop shows I guess? I always considered Frank Drebin an original in his own right--so sad how how Leslie Nielson is reduced to doing films like this. :( )
I mean, basing it on the early 2000s first Spidey dates it anyway
Yeah...I would have loved for them to have based it around something more recent, like Superman Returns or even Spider-Man 3! :) Although it's quite possible that the script got started years ago anyway, hence the dated references.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 10th, 2008, 11:23 am

Speaking of spoof movies, it looks like they won't be going away anytime soon:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=41774
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2008, 1:04 pm

I read about another one recently too. Shows how much I cared...I didn't even bother to lodge it in memory!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 10th, 2008, 4:06 pm

I'm going to go on record and say that that I am not a fan of these spoof-based "comedies". Scary Movie was idiotic enough that I never saw any more of that series and everything I've heard from people whose opinions I respect has told me that Date Movie and Epic Movie are complete garbage. I will admit that Superhero Movie looks like it has a chance of being halfway decent, but Meet The Spartans hasn't had good reviews at all (one review said it was basically a 90-minute gay joke, and not a very nice one). Between the ever multiplying line of spoofs and other crud like "Harold and Kumar", it saddens me to think that no one knows how to make a great comedy film anymore. However, there is a bright spot. The trailer for Jack Black's "Be Kind Rewind" is hilarious and reveals just enough to whet your appitite without giving away absolutely everything. If the finished movie is as good as the trailer, it could very well be the best comedy of the decade (although, given what there is to compare it to, that may not be saying much).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Hurrah!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » February 28th, 2008, 1:45 am

For anyone that had the slightest hope Super Hero Movie would be different, take a look at this:
http://www.impawards.com/2008/superhero_movie.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 28th, 2008, 7:14 am

Boo...:(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2008, 8:52 am

Uh-oh...

Quite frankly, I don't get how they can burn this close to other studio franchises. I mean, it's not enough that they should basically copy sequences from Spider-Man <I>shot for shot</I> (surely some infringement on Sony's copyright?) but they should they basically have Wolverine and other X's (all Fox) and two Fantastic Four characters (Fox again) on the poster? And what looks so close to being the actual Spidey chest insignia dangling off the title?

And out come the oldies again: Pam Anderson and her dynamic duo was very old already in Scary Movie 3, while I actually have something against Leslie Neilsen wearing a sweater that reads "with great power comes hot b*****s" on something that will be seen - and be somewhat attractive - by children in a theater.

Finally, what gives with the tag line? Scary Movie? Um that was the Wayans brothers. <I>These</I> guys only gave us the lameo, lameo, lameo third and fourth Scary Movies.

I doubt it will, but I hope this crashes and burns. And to think I used to love these spoofs! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 28th, 2008, 9:57 am

:lol:.
I only saw a trailer with the Spidey stupid,very stupid but i loved the Kirsten Dunset parody XD,it acutally look like her XD.
I can't stand Pamela Anderson,she's so annoying,i hate her :?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 28th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Earlier this year, I was going to see "Superhero Movie" without question. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Still, I'll probably end up checking it out, just to see what it's like.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 28th, 2008, 5:15 pm

But even just 'checking it out' will put money in their pockets...And that will cause them to make even more of these...:( ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Um...I just saw Date Movie. Or rather, I saw it was on TV and just let it run in the background.

From what I saw, I'm sure glad I didn't give it my full attention!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 28th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Why was it on your TV in the first place?!

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 29th, 2008, 8:17 am

That's a very good question, to which...I have no answer to. ;)

Well, y'know, you hear people talking and you always wonder, can it be <I>that</I> bad?

Yes. Yes it can.