WALL-E

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 1st, 2008, 7:39 am

I think Dusty might be taking more than just movies a little too seriously. Really, relax a little more...anyone who can come blasting in like this (and start going on about the shape of a character's eyes in a site theme that is just a <I>bit of fun</I>) needs to take a chill pill.

Basic bottom line...is WALL-E worth seeing, or is it a mis-fire? I'd say James' review perfectly encapsulates the answer while not giving <I>any</I>thing away. I am now excited to see the film, ready to take on board a couple of misgivings James had about the film that will now not "shock" me as much as they might, but have not been subjected to any revelations - as so many "reviews" do - that will essentially make me feel like I'm sitting through something I've read too much about.

Yes, no doubt I will look at the DVD when it comes out...and yes, as James says, I will probably go more in-depth on plot issues as we would have hoped that readers would have seen the film. Even then, I try to glide carefully between writing for those "in the know" and those obviously coming to the film for the first time. While I may well expose some secrets in a review, I'm careful not to take away from the enjoyment of the film.

And...yes, writing a positive review is <I>much, MUCH</I> tougher than slating something. Writing for Ratatouille was almost painful as there are only so many good things one can say without sounding like a sycophant. A bad film will generate some form of frustration or anger - a much "easier" emotion to express in words, especially when the film could have been so much better. Why don't you try it some time?

Everyone's a critic, but it's not as easy as it looks. And a review of a review? It's not a first but still amazes me!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Pixar's Wall-E

Post by Dusterian » July 1st, 2008, 10:59 am

But the thing is any film could have almost everything well done. It could be any film. One thing I did think was good was how well crafted the romance was. Why not talk about how it slowly developed, and it had to do with the fact that it's two robots who connect in the face of danger and teamwork? It kind of gives a different take on what love is. Interestingly, Wall-E was smitten instantly like a Disney prince, but it took a long time for the girl to come around. The problem is...it's two robots who have no human feelings. They can't feel real love that the audience is supposed to feel.

Anyway, I didn't get all good feelings from Wall-E, so I couldn't try writing about something I think is so positive, so perfect, since Wall-E is not.

Still can't believe people miss how when the humans become less human, less complex, less "good", they become more animated.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Pixar's Wall-E

Post by Ben » July 1st, 2008, 12:28 pm

Dusterian wrote:Anyway, I didn't get all good feelings from Wall-E, so I couldn't try writing about something I think is so positive, so perfect, since Wall-E is not.
Well...that's your opinion. Had you been writing our review then it would have turned out differently. And that's all a critic is. A person with an opinion, but one that states that opinion publicly.

Not having seen it yet (two/three weeks) I can't attempt to answer the "animated" question, but would suggest that, essentially, they're not getting more animated, but more synthetic...more..."computerised"...? Of course, I could be talking donuts, not having seen the film and not really knowing what the argument is, but that would be my initial picking up on the change.

Without seeing it, though, I'll admit I find the use of real humans odd, against other areas of the film that use the stylised CG counterparts. Either go with one or the other, or have an explanation. I'm looking forward to making my mind up on that one...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 1st, 2008, 12:35 pm

I've had the WALL-E soundtrack CD on 'endless loop' for the past couple of days.

I was already a pretty big fan of Thomas Newman's scores based on Finding Nemo and A Series of Unfortunate Events .. but he has truly 'outdone' himself with WALL-E. The themes he came up with tell almost as much of the story as the visuals; the WALL-E theme conveys loneliness; the Spaceship and Axiom themes invoke sci-fi grandeur; the EVE and Define Dancing tracks are sublimely graceful; the M-O theme suggests gentle comic relief; and the tension is palpable in the track Desperate EVE.

Peter Gabriel's end-title song Down to Earth also fits quite nicely with Newman's score .. and as stated before, the included songs from Hello Dolly! ensure that I'll never again watch that movie without also thinking of WALL-E.

Kudos to Walt Disney Records for actually arranging the WALL-E CD tracks in sequential order; weaving the songs into the score, rather than 'segregating' them, as they usually do. :)

edit/addendum: The recycled-paper packaging adds a very nice 'thematic' touch. :idea:
Last edited by droosan on July 1st, 2008, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 1st, 2008, 12:35 pm

Does anyone know if there's some place I can get the song "Super Strength" by "two steps from hell"? It's the song that plays during the second half of the theatrical trailer and I have searched the entire internet for it and can't find it :(

edit: regarding the soundtrack, it really is amazing. The "2815 ad" track is just amazing. As is the "The axiom" track

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 1st, 2008, 12:46 pm

Macaluso wrote:Does anyone know if there's some place I can get the song "Super Strength" by "two steps from hell"? It's the song that plays during the second half of the theatrical trailer and I have searched the entire internet for it and can't find it :(
You and me both. :(

Unfortunately, Two Steps from Hell is a 'commercial' CD collection which is intended for production use in movie trailers; it's not available for public sale (it's also exorbitantly expensive for the studios/editing suites that can legally purchase it).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 1st, 2008, 12:53 pm

Well I figure someone must still have a source or an inside to get it. C'mon film poeple hook me UP

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 1st, 2008, 1:36 pm

Hey droo...I'm on the lists of several production music libraries that deliver their new tracks to my offices at Elstree Studios. Can you give me a publisher's name and I'll can see if I can get it through such channels...

Or you could simply Google: "Super Strength two steps from hell" and look at the "magesy" page... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 1st, 2008, 1:48 pm

Ben wrote:Or you could simply Google: "Super Strength two steps from hell" and look at the "magesy" page... ;)
I have, and I actually joined that site a few months ago .. only to discover that all of those links are long-dead. :(

------------------

This is Two Steps from Hell's website. The particular tracks Mac and I are looking for are the Super Strength theme, which are the first three tracks of the 3-CD collection titled "volume one"

It would be several dozen kinds of awesome, if you actually have access to it! :)
Last edited by droosan on July 1st, 2008, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 1st, 2008, 1:49 pm

Sadly the download link on that site doesn't work :(

hook me up ben HOOK ME UP

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 1st, 2008, 4:43 pm

I was thinking of catching this at Downtown Disney in Anaheim when I'm there later this month. That'd be fun, eh?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » July 1st, 2008, 7:48 pm

I can't get the soundtrack out of my head... nor would I want to.

Eve's theme is rolling around there right now. Is it me, or does it remind anyone else of the CD music for the SegaCD version of Ecco the Dolphin?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 1st, 2008, 8:00 pm

I listened to some tracks from the sega CD version of Ecco the Dolphin (I've only ever played the genesis version. Hardest game ever), and I kind of see what you're talking about, but on the other hand Ecco's music is always very... not so much menacing but it gives the idea that not everything is quite right. Where as the Eve theme is just so happy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 1st, 2008, 10:58 pm

Ack, I know what you mean. I always found the music from that game to be very pretty, and yet a little bit scary...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2008, 1:08 am

Wonderful film. Just amazing on every level.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!