Transformers 25th Anniversary Deluxe Set

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Transformers 25th Anniversary Deluxe Set

Post by GeorgeC » June 3rd, 2009, 9:35 pm

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Old news really, but I haven't seen anybody else post this here.

There's a picture up of the Transformers 25th Anniversary set up at The Digital Bits (6/2/2009 late update) and they have a review today of it.

It's a very nice-looking set!

Now, I'm only bothering with the Animated movie since that's about where my collecting interest ends.

This does seem like it's by far the best version of the series out on DVD (or soon to be released).

You can pick it up at Comicons starting with San Diego in July or pre-order through Hasbro and get it delivered around July 13th.

Your other option is to wait for store release but it probably won't show up in stores or on Amazon.com until much later this year...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 3rd, 2009, 11:37 pm

(Actually the review is just for Season One; the pictured full set isn't available for review yet.)

I've never watched a minute of Transformers, and I don't think it's my kind of thing, but for fans I'm glad that the series is being treated so nicely. I'm even a little tempted to get that big box.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 4th, 2009, 12:05 am

Well,

Transformers is one of those 1980s animated series that in retrospect isn't that good. It's basically a glorified 22-minute per episode advertisement for a toyline -- just as He-Man, GI Joe, and at least a half-dozen other shows of the same era were.

If there's one thing I've learned about nostalgia it's how it clouds the reality and perception one has of many things. Usually the things you liked in childhood were simplistic and really not that good. (We're all generally MUCH better off that we didn't marry the first persons we had crushes on, too! :lol: ) Horrible even. It's rare that something from childhood retains a quality that still entertains even as an adult. It's rarer even when you see something in a movie or TV series you haven't watched in years that pops out. There really are only about a half-dozen or so movies and TV shows like that to me -- Star Trek (the original series), Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Robotech/Macross, the original Twilight Zone, the Adam West Batman series, and something else I can't remember at the moment...

I really don't like big, overgrown sentient robot shows, either. I prefer big robot shows where the robots are vehicles controlled by human beings. That's why I like Macross and about half of Gundam better than Transformers.

Transformers does have a much bigger fanbase than I realized, though, even if I think the TV series and the live-action films (in particular) are over-rated melodramatic pre-teen soap operas (now featuring Shia LaBeouf!). There's nothing particularly deep about this stuff and I just think a lot of people get a thrill out of watching robots smack the microchips out of each other. The writing on the Transformers series and comic adaptations make even the Star Wars prequels and spin-offs seem deep!

Transformers WAS BattleBots before there was an actual BattleBots competition!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 4th, 2009, 12:24 am

The animated Transformers movie is still one of my favorite "cartoon features" (to revive an old term) and I enjoy the series. The live action movie had a lot of room for improvement and I'm hoping the sequel is better. I'm just happy that they're including the constructicons in it (I want to see them combine just one time. That's not asking too much, is it?).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » June 4th, 2009, 11:23 am

I agree with George on the original series. In retrospect, it wasn't great, but I think there is an element of fun in the original series. I, for one, enjoyed the live-action movie. It was a fun to watch and I'm looking forward to the sequel.