Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tangled (Formerly Rapunzel)

Post by Prince Kido » August 1st, 2010, 9:09 am

If you want to discover an all new Tangled's official concept-art 24 hours before its releasing on official Facebbok page, please click on my blog's link :http://davidgilson.blogspot.com/
or on my Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/DavidGilsonDrawings
Enjoy!! ;)
[url=http://davidgilson.blogspot.com/][img]http://davidgilson.free.fr/petitpoulet/banblog2.jpg[/img][/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Rapunzel

Post by Dusterian » August 1st, 2010, 1:50 pm

Ben, I was asking you about this:
Ben wrote:After many false starts and delays while he attempted to get CGI to mimic traditional hand animation, and more false starts while they tried to hammer the story issues out (trying to please his attempts to make a straight Beauty And The Beast in CG alongside the studio's wishes that fairytales could only be approached as self-aware comedies after Shrek), he was eventually taken off the film as director.
Anyway, this is looking more and more like a straight-telling of the Rapunzel story. There is even lots pointing to them opening with a traditional Disney classic fairy tale storybook that tells Rapunzel's mother was sick, so she needed a plant from the witch's garden to live while she was carrying her baby:

Yes, that's right, some pictures leaked from a Disney Hollywood Studios Rapunzel display. But there are lots of spoilers. But a lot of it hints at keeping close and straight to the Grimm's story, even the ending (I don't think Rapunzel's twins, though, even though the directors said they had wanted to keep that at first!).

Anyway, this could and I still say should be called Rapunzel. It is still very much Glen Keane's special project he is watching over, even her design looks so close to the first pictures we saw of her, and he keeps posting sketches of the characters online that show he probably lead the designs of many other characters. If he wanted to re-do Rapunzel even more his way, he could still call it Rapunzel, just re-done. All that would really change is the style anyway I would think, because he could never finish the actual story, at least we heard. Just the first acts and perhaps the general ideas of the whole thing, but he didn't completely flesh out or work out the story originally.

And I forgot to say I don't think very many people at all, including me thought Tangled was the best alternate title. It sounds the most hip, modern, silly and comedic instead of the others which sounded more fairy tale-like but still "exciting to boys".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 1st, 2010, 4:58 pm

I think I have to agree with the notion that this is more of a "twist" story like Princess and the Frog or Chicken Little. Not that it's the same kind of film as either of those, but as said it's an interpretation of Rapunzel, (in another words, kind of satire, albeit one with heart) rather than a straight retelling. So I also think the title suits the film. True Chicken Little had the same title and Princess had more or less the same title, but honestly I don't think it would have mattered if they had different titles than they did. (Princess with an appropriate title respectful to the material of course.) They were both a take on their fairy tale/fable, and not a straight retelling.

On the other hand Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, despite adjustments to the plot, were the fairy tales. They weren't fairy tales with a twist. That's why they had the original titles. Ditto the Little Mermaid, they could have just called it "Under the Sea!" or something if it was a "new twist on the original." :P

Well...remember that Glen Keane is still working on this, overseeing the animtion, and helping it look as 2-D and as painterly as it is, which may not be as much as was originally, but is at least still there.
True, he was still working on it but the big story decisions were not going to be made by him. (From what I understand) as an animation director he's subject to what the regular directors decide; he doesn't have the final word even if he does have a voice.

It looks like a lot of fun, and is of course great looking. Honestly, in the end I agree that it Tangled is the more appropriate title.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 2nd, 2010, 8:09 am

Which also plays into capturing the Enchanted crowd, meaning that this could be very big and just what Disney really needs about now.

But all these one word coined titles have got me to thinking: what would the other Disney classics have been called? Here's a few ideas...

Dwarfed
Carved
Performed
Soared
Hunted
Bibbity-Bobbity-Booed
Dusted
Dropped
Tramped
Slumbered
Dog-napped
Nannied
Swung
Cat-napped
Bullseye
Rescued
Poohed
Friends
Magicked
Un-Finned
Rubbed
Hamleted
Relations
Hunched
Herc'd
Warrior
Alien
Furred
Uddered
Belittled
Bowled
Dogged
Frogged
Tangled

Most of those would need an exclamation point to hammer home the titles' intent, but you get the idea. Can you guess 'em, or come up with others? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » August 2nd, 2010, 1:36 pm

No comment on the beatiful artwork I keep posting in here? I thought this was about good animation...

Okay, well, I wanna know what the twist is. Chicken Little's twist was aliens. The Princess and the Frog's twist was modern, different country, and the princess becomes a frog, too. So what is Tangled's twist? That the princess was born a princess? That's pretty traditional-like. That the Prince is now a bandit? It's still of that fairy tale time period, and there's hinting he may secretly be a prince. That it's comedic? Aladdin was.

The only good reason it shouldn't be called Rapunzel is one thing, and that's if they change the story too much which they might have. What I mean is, it turns out that the plant that saves Rapunzel's mother may not be Rapunzel lettuce from the witch's garden, but a mysterious magical flower that they make a healing tea from. That's not how the story goes, and I don't want Disney to say that is, and have little kids thing that's how it goes. But really, it can still be called Rapunzel. Especially since I think the flower may be from Rapunzel (because a certain kind of flower can be called Rapunzel, look it up), and it is still the name of the star of this film. Also, Cinderella was apparently named that by her parents in the Disney version, Aurora was not the real name of the princess in the original version (that was her daughter's name), and Snow White was named after snow and a rose in the Disney version while it was after snow and blood in the original version. So, Rapunzel can still be Rapunzel just like the other Disney versions.

Ben, those are really hilarious, more hilarious than a lot of other ones I've seen people do, more and more clever! I especially love Poohed! And Hamleted, oh geeze! Oh, and Belittled, yes, yes indeed.

But I do have to ask what some are. Is Dusted Peter Pan? And Dropped is Alice in Wonderland? In chronological order, they would be reversed. I don't know what Nannied would be. Swung is Jungle Book, right? And Relations is Pocahontas?

I do have some suggestions. I think I would make Soared be Eared! I might make Bibbity-Bobbity-Booed be Fitted, but I like yours better. But I think I'd make Dusted Flown, or...Regressed, haha! I might make Dropped be Wondered. I might make Swung be Jungle-Raised or just Raised. I think I'd make Bullseye be Robbed. I definately think I would make Friends be...Parted, or Seperated. I might make Magicked into Black-Magicked or even Blackened just to be more specific. I would make Locked be Tamed. I might make Hamleted be Bamleted to be more specific, I think they referred to TLK as Bamlet a few times, you know why, right, hehe? I might make Relations be Foreign or Discovered. I might make Herc'd be Muscled or Strengthened or Deified. And Alien is to much like, well, the movie Alien, so it could be...Experimented! What if Bowled was Forwarded?

There's some you have missed that others did address. I don't like to consider them Animated Classics, but Disney does include Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time, and the Aventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. There's some others missing, can you guess which one this is: Detected. I bet you will.

I even have some for the ones I mentioned. Saluded, Freed, and Driven (like driven mad, works for both!).

Oh, by the way Ben that was not Menken score in the video of test animation with the title "Hair", at least I heard it wasn't, that the guy just put that music in there cause he thought it fit, and it does it is great.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 3rd, 2010, 2:04 am

Just some guesses:

Performed: Fantasia
Slumbered: Sleeping Beauty
Dog-napped: 101 Dalmations
Nannied: Mary Poppins
Swung: Tarzan
Cat-napped: Aristocrats
Magicked: Sword in the Stone
Un-Finned: Finding Nemo
Rubbed: Aladdin
Warrior: Mulan
Uddered: Home on the Range
Belittled: Honey, I shrunk the kids

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 3rd, 2010, 6:28 am

My guesses

Dwarfed: Snow White And The 7 Dwarfs
Carved: Pinocchio
Performed: Fantasia
Soared: Dumbo
Hunted: Bambi
Bibbity-Bobbity-Booed: Cinderella
Dusted: Peter Pan
Dropped: Alice In Wonderland
Tramped: Lady And The Tramp
Slumbered: Sleeping Beauty
Dog-napped: 101 Dalmatians
Nannied: The Sword In The Stone
Swung: The Jungle Book
Cat-napped: The Aristocats
Bullseye: Robin Hood
Rescued: The Rescuers
Poohed: The Many Adventures Of Winnie-The-Pooh
Friends: The Fox And The Hound
Magicked: The Black Cauldron
Un-Finned: The Little Mermaid
Locked: Beauty And The Beast
Rubbed: Aladdin
Hamleted: The Lion King
Relations: Pocahontas
Hunched: The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
Herc'd: Hercules
Warrior: Mulan
Alien: Lilo & Stitch
Furred: Brother Bear
Uddered: Home On The Range
Belittled: Chicken Little
Bowled: Meet The Robinsons
Dogged: Bolt
Frogged: The Princess And The Frog
Tangled: Rapunzel

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 4th, 2010, 7:35 am

Hmmm...some interesting comments and guesses here! :)

Dusty...my name titles were a spur of the moment thing: I tried to keep chronological but - hey - so I messed up 1951 and 1953. Big deal? ;)

I liked "Eared" for Dumbo, but would stick with "Soared" (that way they could tie in the Soarin' ride at the parks, y'know, for syngery), and I did actually think of "Fitted" for Cinders, but thought "Bibbity-Bobbity-Booed" was funnier and more "appropriate". But definitely a good catch on "Robbed" for Robin Hood. Better than my "Bullseye" as it fits both character and story - nice! With the other titles I was trying to stick to the one words, and "Alien" was supposed to be a joke...imagine a Disney film called "Alien" after the movie that we would all automatically tie that name to! I didn't worry covering the Package Features since, again, that was supposed to just be a quick, fun, post.

On Vi and Bill's (well done, sir!) guesses...some clarifications:

- "Swung" was The Jungle Book - I completely forgot Tarzan! Howabout "Aped"?
- "Magicked" was The Black Cauldron - not immediately recognizable, but I was thinking of Disney's marketing trying to make the movie appealing!
- "Un-Finned" was The Little Mermaid (no Pixar here). I wanted to just got for "Finned" but that's the reverse of the plot. You could drop the dash for a straight "Unfinned", which might be more in keeping!
- "Belittled" was Chicken Little (nothing but the "classics" in the list), which played on the character name and the movie's plot.
- "Nannied" was Mary Poppins (I thought about "Poppined", but it wouldn't really work or make sense).

But I like "Robbed" for Robin Hood, and "Aped" for Tarzan, so add those into the "Unofficial Official Alternate Classics" mix, along with "Lost" for Atlantis. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 4th, 2010, 7:41 am

Bill1978 wrote:Furred: Brother Bear

.....OHHHhhh! :o
I was trying to figure out how that was supposed to fit in with "Spaced", aka Treasure Planet.

(And that is officially my limit, as I don't make a policy of telling the exact same joke 25 times in one post. :P
Besides, it's not about the Adjectives, it's about the Princess Fear, and their superstitious lucky-charm belief that we wanted them to tell their joke from three years ago several times in a row.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 4th, 2010, 7:48 am

Ahh, Treasure Planet! Another one I missed!

So, add "Robbed", "Aped", "Lost" and "Spaced" to the original "Unofficial Official Alternate Classics" line-up. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 4th, 2010, 7:58 am

Don't forget Llam-ed and Dundeed

I was puzzled for how Nannied could be Sword In The Stone and justified my thinking by Merlin 'nannying' Arthur. I guess I was thinking the list only included the animated classics. Guess we could have had Knobbed as well on the list.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » August 4th, 2010, 1:32 pm

What's Llam-ed and Dundeed?

Aw, Ben, you didn't like some of my other ones more? Like Regressed, Parted (like The Departed!) and Tamed? I think at least Tamed definately fits more. I also think that even though Poohed makes sense in a...gross way, I think Herc'd is almost like Poppined, so I think Deified or Strengthened would be better.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 4th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Llam-ed is Emperor's New Groove, I'm guessing, but I'd have gone for "Grooved". Dundeed would be The Rescuers Down Under, me thinks, although it's more than that. Howsabouts "Boomeranged"? :)

"Knobbed" is good, but a bit suggestive! I'd go for "Bewitched"! ;)

And how about "Imagined" for another live/animated combo?

Dusty...Tamed is good...but not as fun as Hamleted. And Herc'd plays with the character name and what he goes through, what with the celeb trials and the like, so it fits whereas Poppined means one needs to know the character. Hercules, being from popular mythology and the tone of the movie, lends itselff more to a comedy title. Nannied works better for Poppins because that's who she is, what she does and what the movie is about.

Any other suggestions...or are we getting ready to post the definitive "Unofficial Official Alternate Classics" list? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » August 4th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Oh, like lama-ed. I like Grooved more, though Lama-ed does work.

I agree with you now on Herc'd and Nannied.

But Tamed was for Beauty and the Beast! You had Locked, I made it Tamed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 4th, 2010, 7:25 pm

I was thinking of Grooved as well and I do lilke that. While I like Llam-ed, it really doesn't work uness you know how to pronounce it.

I chose Dundeed because at the time of it's release the US was a little bit Australia mad thanks to Croc Dundee and thought Disney would like to ride on the coattails of that movie. But Boomeranged works as well.

Is Imagined Pete's Dragon?

Don't forget Sherlock'd and Twisted