DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 14th, 2011, 11:11 pm

I'm not expecting more than what came out in the silver box on DVD a few years ago. That set is magnificent, but if you don't have it then by all means you need to get the BD set!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2011, 3:15 pm

I've held off on buying Superman on Blu because something like this was practically a given (the only surprise being that they aren't waiting for the theatrical release of the next one). And as much as I like the Donner II, I didn't just want to own that and not the other version.

So this is welcome news to me, and since I've got the first film on every home movie format it's a natural for me to dip again. I'd actually have been quite happy with just the four original films (if there had been a "Christopher Reeve Superman Anthology" like before, I'd have gone for that set as I just hate, hate, hate Returns and it has no place being alongside even the likes of III and IV).

And, like Rand says, extras are likely to be two discs (maybe even DVDs?) worth of dips from the excellent 2008 set, which makes them redundant to many. The ideal Super-BD box for me would have been:

Superman: The Movie - Theatrical, Donner Expanded Cut and TV Version
Superman II - Theatrical, Donner Restored Cut and TV Version
Superman III - Theatrical and Alternate TV Version (with different title sequence)
Superman IV: Quest For Peace - Theatrical and Workprint Assemble

Throw on all the deleted scenes and of-the-time TV specials and I'd be happy as Larry (and Larry would be very, very happy). That would do me: I don't need Returns in HD. Heck, I don't even want it in SD! But I'll spring for this knowing that Nolan/Snyder's films probably won't be too attached to the originals (like with Batman) and probably won't come out in a megaset (more likely their own trilogy collection - if they get that far - down the line).

But...yep, I'm basically pleased to know that I'll have the guy in the red cape's first two films (and even have spots for III and IV) in HD. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Superman Returns... again!

Post by Dacey » March 27th, 2011, 3:44 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 27th, 2011, 5:03 pm

I'm quite please with that. Makes me think they're going for something classic.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 27th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Kinda good, but... she's a redhead! I know she can die her hair, but I just find it bizarre that Hollywood can't seem to find actresses with the right hair color. Other than that, a good choice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 28th, 2011, 8:18 am

Yay Amy Adams! <3

GeorgeC

Re:

Post by GeorgeC » March 28th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Randall wrote:Kinda good, but... she's a redhead! I know she can die her hair, but I just find it bizarre that Hollywood can't seem to find actresses with the right hair color. Other than that, a good choice.
Actually, she's a natural blonde.

Most of the redheads in Hollywood nowadays are dyed blondes. One exception (kinda) is Alyson Hannigan, but her natural color is more auburn.

I dunno about Adams as Lois Lane.

People have suggested Rachel McAdams and I think they might have been on to something there...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 29th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Rachel McAverage?

Yep, she might have looked the part, but me thinks Adams will bring a gusty nature to the character that it needs without coming over as arrogant.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 7th, 2011, 5:17 am

The upcoming Superman Anthology Blu ray set will NOT have the Fleischer Superman shorts in HD.

(The fact that the Fleischer shorts ARE SD was confirmed by The Digital Bits a few days ago...)

At least one of the Superman shorts, the pilot, no longer has an intact master film... It turned to goo years ago. Also, there are a lot of scratches and damage on the existing films and soundtracks. WB is NOT going to pay for restoration on these shorts anytime soon. Ditto for all the MGM shorts that are missing original master elements because of an old studio fire.... and there still hasn't been a proper DVD release of the Tex Avery MGM shorts let alone the Happy Harmonies and other MGM series.

For that matter, contrary to popular belief, NONE of the Looney Tunes have been redone in HD for home video thus far, either. They have all been SD ports from the DVD masters.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 8th, 2011, 4:36 am

Never said they were, George. :)

The post on the front page mentions that only some select documentary footage will be in HD.

But, actually, some of the cartoons on WB BDs (Adventures Of Robin Hood for one) have been remastered in HD.

GeorgeC

Re: Superman Returns... again!

Post by GeorgeC » April 8th, 2011, 12:58 pm

I've got The Adventures of Robin Hood BD, Ben...

I'm fairly certain the toons on that one are SD. That's what the package says in front of me. There are no HD extras with the movie; they're all ports from the last two-disc DVD version of the home video release.

WB is doing HD remasters of some Looney Tunes but the BD sets are still some distance off in the future.

Right now, the only place you can get HD copies of Looney Tunes is XBox Live marketplace.
They've (at least 50) been there since 2010 at the latest.

Wish those toons were on more sites but WB negotiated a deal with MS to have them exclusively on the XBox 360.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 10th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Not that I have the Robin Hood BD, George (waiting for an eventual UCE), but I remember the reviews of the time being overjoyed that the cartoons were in HD on that title and a handful of others.

Here's DVD Beaver's Robin review:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... lu-ray.htm

"The Blu-ray has the excellent Rudy Behlmer commentary and the wonderful documentaries on the advent Technicolor etc. BUT the cartoons are in HD! and look just wonderful. I believe this is the first time I have seen vintage cartoons in 1080 resolution. Wow."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 12th, 2011, 2:07 pm

"Now kneel, and swear eternal loyalty to Zod..."

http://screenrant.com/michael-shannon-z ... ob-110261/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 13th, 2011, 5:41 pm

Zod? Here? When? ;)

This had been rumored for a while, and I'm not sure what to make of it. This is supposed to be a Superman movie apart from any other Superman movies. But they're going with Zod as a villain, which is obviously not only a remnant from the Chris Reeve movies, but the supposed direction a follow-up to Superman Returns was going to go as well.

The rumor mill is still spinning, but are they going back to an early suggestion that "Superman: The Movie" has happened, that Superman is here, but that they're going to kind of start from there with a "proper" II, III, etc...? That would be interesting thinking. That said, there's been a lot of speculation on if Viggo Mortensen has a part to play. He's obviously not Zod now. But maybe...Luthor...?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 4th, 2011, 11:32 pm