AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Frozen

Post by Scar » April 23rd, 2014, 5:54 pm

Well excuse me for being whiney.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 23rd, 2014, 6:03 pm

Scar wrote:Your post was offensive and homophobic and as a gay man I request you apologize for it, EricJ
Exactly what am I "apologizing" for, when it's the first thing you've mentioned about yourself in the last few posts?
You want to be interestingly "different" from the rest of those you converse with, and object when people treat you "differently"? Bobby, have you tried considering that your own personal life is not really something that's a concern to anyone else unless you insist on it being a trademark?

Are you that unable to fathom why straights meet gays who say "Hi, my trademark is that I'm one of a million people out there that you're not!", even before they mention their name, and wonder why that gate comes crashing down at the beginning of the conversation?
Even though, being disabled, I belong to a Neat Social Minority, I may stick up for handicap issues, but I don't go about bringing it up in every single discussion of my hobbies. Although probably because my minority is visible to everyone else, and I don't feel I HAVE to tell anyone what "club" I belong to to make me Neat and Different. Quite the reverse, in fact--Folks find crutches or chairs disturbing, and rather than rattle them in their faces to shout I Am Minority, I often have to go out of my way to show that I'm nice, and likable, and intelligent, and just like them on what most folks call normal common ground...Probably in the hopes that they start ignoring that certain little obvious elephant in the room.
Trust me, that will get a lot more folks talking to you in the way you'd like to be talked to--Folks just seem to like to know you're the same as them where it counts. It's good to be different, but some characters learned in the end that it's better to have a little friendly snow than a bitter blizzard of old personal demons.

(And hey: HE requested. I was willing to leave it there. It's a song about hiding in a corner from the world, and I'm sticking to that.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 23rd, 2014, 6:36 pm

GRAPES!!!

Seriously, though, this has been showing signs of spinning out of control for a while (and Eric's been warned multiple times about it). Obviously, Let It Go is striking an emotional chord with a whole lot of fans (I myself cry during the sequence, and am honestly not sure why, other than that I'm overwhelmed by its beauty and emotion), and it means different things to different people. That's all there is to it, and there's no need to prolong this "discussion" any longer.

I will add, however, that when a song strikes a "personal" chord with you, it can really, really mean a lot to you. Case in point in my case: I'll Try in Return to Never Land, which obviously never achieved true "popularity" as such (although it did make a Disney's Greatest album), but nevertheless hit me in every emotion I was going through in my early teenage years. And there was a time when, yes, I would've defended that song to the death, so I can understand why people are getting on the "defensive" regarding Let It Go. If it means something to you, no one can take that away from you. If not, that's fine too. But, again, that's all that really needs to be said about this. Insulting its fan base and acting like its insane isn't going to win any arguments here.

So, let's all be friends and move on, shall we? :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 24th, 2014, 12:02 am

Thank-you, Dacey.

Eric: The only other mention of this I want to see from you now is to say you are sorry for creating any offense. I mean it. That's it. No more rants, no more offensive generalizations. Other than that, Let it Go.

Now, let's get back to some sane cartoon discussion.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 24th, 2014, 12:35 am

So...

The soundtrack for Frozen remains at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. It has now spent 11 non-consecutive weeks at the top of the charts, surpassing The Lion King as the animated feature soundtrack with the most weeks at No. 1.

As if that weren't enough, it achieved it's best-selling week to date with 259,000 copies sold. That's a whopping 94% increase from 133,000 it sold the previous week. This brings the total number copies of the soundtrack sold in the US to around 2.3 million to date.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 24th, 2014, 1:02 am

A part of me wishes that all the people buying the soundtrack are also enjoying the score section. But I imagine many purchasers listen from the opening track to Demi's Let It Go and then quickly jump back to Track 1.

While I am sceptical it will happen, hopefully this will encourage more score tracks to be tacked onto the end of a soundtrack release. With Titanic it happened a little bit. Actually what I am hoping the sales do is encourage studios to actually have a nice orchestral score as opposed to the electronic stuff that Hollywood insists on having in their movies.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 24th, 2014, 1:05 am

I'm still bummed that I don't have the 2-disc special edition, which I wasn't even aware existed until I had my soundtrack in my hands. Maybe I'll still double dip and get it someday.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 24th, 2014, 6:01 am

Bill1978 wrote:A part of me wishes that all the people buying the soundtrack are also enjoying the score section. But I imagine many purchasers listen from the opening track to Demi's Let It Go and then quickly jump back to Track 1.
It's always kind of annoyed me that Disney soundtracks keep the songs and score separate, so what I do is rip the cd to my computer, rearrange the music to be in its proper order as it appears within the film, burn a copy and listen to that.

And I feel I should note that I was not offended by what Eric was saying. He has some very valid points and I completely understand why he feels the way he does. By effectively censoring his point of view, aren't you being just as much of a bully as you're accusing him of being?
Last edited by eddievalient on April 24th, 2014, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2014, 6:58 am

Well I go from track 5 to 10 to 3 to 2 to 5 to 4 to 5 to 4 to 10 to 2 to 3 to 4...you get the drfit...! ;)

Dacey...the bonus disc soundtrack is worth having for the demos, at least three of which are great tracks. There's nothing in the packaging that you really need to go with that disc, so a download might be a cheaper way to go so that you can get the tracks, burn them to CD (if needed) and pop it in the case. There isn't any real extra booklet info or lyrics provided for the demos, so you wouldn't be missing those.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 24th, 2014, 10:09 am

The demo songs are definitely worth checking out. You can just tell Robert and Kristen were having a lot of fun. And we get more of their cute little daughter.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 26th, 2014, 12:24 pm

I'll be sure to check them out in one way or another then. :)

Frozen (finally) crossed $400 million yesterday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/char ... -25&p=.htm

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 29th, 2014, 10:13 pm

It would appear both Idina and Kristen are interested in playing Elsa and Anna on Broadway. 8)

Source: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/n ... n-broadway

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 30th, 2014, 6:02 am

Makes sense, and I'm not surprised really. I mean, it's natural thinking to get the Broadway star who played your character in a film to then bring that character back to Broadway! Bell is an interesting option too...I guess she's not too busy on screen and so would also be a great choice for the stage version, offering no shortage of publicity stories on the unique angle as well as continuity for the massive amount of fans of the movie ("see them live on stage!")...

Actually, I've a feeling Frozen on stage will fix many of the structural problems I had with the movie and will essentially be the version that those who didn't like it so much would find more appealing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 30th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Ben wrote:Actually, I've a feeling Frozen on stage will fix many of the structural problems I had with the movie and will essentially be the version that those who didn't like it so much would find more appealing.
The biggest problem of which was that it LOOKED like a stage musical, often put its cameras wayyy back for the Big Stage Shot, and was afraid to have its characters leave the "set" during a musical number.
In the movie, I could already see the New Amsterdam staging on "Love is an Open Door" and "Fixer-Upper", and could practically see the Act I Intermission sign flashing after Elsa zaps Anna in the ice palace.

(Over Easter, I was digging up Dreamworks' Prince of Egypt, made during the imitative height of the 90's Renaissance, and was struck by how Disney and its copies back then thought a musical number had to be about the swirling camera and the quickly-edited montage. Except for the stage-hopeful scene with the Pharaoh, which stuck out from the movie like a sore thumb.
It just emphasizes the movies that were made by animators, and the movies that were made by Broadway songwriters and stage-marketing divisions after everyone smelled Beauty&Beast's stage money.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2014, 8:10 pm

Let It Go in Hebrew, with direct translation and transliteration. :)

(click on the small x to erase the pop up)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!