Soul

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Soul

Post by Dacey » June 19th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Pixar's next summer feature has a title and a release date. Sounds like Docter is making a quasi-sequel to Inside Out here...

https://animatedviews.com/2019/pixar-to ... l-in-2020/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Soul

Post by EricJ » June 19th, 2019, 3:38 pm

So...they ARE doing the Buddy-cop-guardian-angels idea, then? Told ya it sounded kind of cute, and I'd trust Pete Docter with it.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Post by Ben » June 19th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Ah, "Soul". Yeah, that’s a better name for it. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 24th, 2019, 7:26 pm

First images:

Already love the design of the "soul" characters, they're so cute! Little sass in that last character? ;)

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Post by Ben » August 24th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Although distinctly related to the emotions of Inside Out, which doesn’t really help it feel "original"...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 24th, 2019, 9:59 pm

The human guy is cute, but the...whatever they are...remind me too much of the Glow-Worms 80s toys/cartoon.

But the setting or “city” (I guess) looks AMAZING! :)
"That’s right, folks, it’s gonna be a Meg episode, stick around for the fun.
Here’s the clicker...no one’d blame ya.”

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 24th, 2019, 10:08 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:59 pm
The human guy is cute, but the...whatever they are...remind me too much of the Glow-Worms 80s toys/cartoon.
They're Souls--hence the punny title with Jamie Foxx's jazz musician--as Foxx get's Coco'ed after a near-death experience.

(So...not the buddy-cop guardian angels, then, or was that an earlier script that got Good Dinosaur'ed, and they end up as supporting gag characters?)

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Post by Randall » August 25th, 2019, 11:27 am

I saw the presentation yesterday, and my sense is this could be one of the great Pixar films. Onward initially felt more like the Good Dinosaur to Soul's Inside Out, but some scenes we saw began to indicate that Onward could be a real heart-tugger, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 7th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Plot info:

The main character is Joe Gardner, a middle school band director with a love of jazz. He dreams of playing at the Half Note, New York’s prestigious jazz club. Then, after 20 years of trying, he gets his wish. In a trailer, we see him emerge from a subway and rehearse on the piano at the club. When he nabs the gig, he’s beaming, and walking back down the city street ... where he falls down a manhole and dies. His soul separates from his body and goes to the great beyond.

The film revolves around You Seminar, a otherworldly location where souls are trained with quirks, abilities, and interests. “All the things that make you, you,” Doctor said at the presentation. Once ready, the souls graduate from You Seminar.

Joe is of the new souls at You Seminar. There, he meets a soul named 22 who thinks Earth sucks, and has remained at You Seminar for a hundred years. His journey with 22 will “make him think about what it means to have a soul.”
Man, tough break for Joe!

So the sassy character is named 22, huh? How very Stonecutters-y... ;)