Enchanted

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 7th, 2007, 7:51 pm

I think it's Hikaro Miyazaki.

Spirited Away was mostly a great film, especially the first hour or so. For me the second half kind of peters out and is almost totally incomprehensible, which was when it lost me emotionally. By the end I just wanted it to be over.

It was a real achievement, I agree, but I still think Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron should have received the Best Animated Feature Oscar. Especially since Miyazaki didn't even bother showing up the the Oscars, even when his film was nominated, praised as the next Snow White and the odds-on favorite to win. Come on!

:?

(Although I did think Daveigh did a great job as Jahiro. :) )

I read (on this site actually, but before I joined and when it was still Animated Movies) that when Miyazaki's name was read the camera focused on Jeffrey Katzenberg and that he didn't look very happy at all. :? :P 8) Because if Spirit won he would have come on stage himself to accept the Oscar, since he was nominated as producer.

I still hope he gets a chance to do that. :wink:

But do I remember what he said beforehand was sort of fake: "Oh, it's a thrill just to be nominated." Uh huh. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 7th, 2007, 8:09 pm

Hmmm...I think I like Spirited Away better. I thought Spirit dragged a bit, and I didn't feel connected to the horse that much...The animation was soooo pretty though! :) Nice use of CG.

(Funny that two films with "Spirit" in the title were both nominated, eh?....Maybe?....Okay, I guess not...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 7th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Yeah, I thought that was funny too! :P

That's why I wrote out Spirit's full title so there wouldn't be a mix-up. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 7th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Meg wrote: I was thinking Hayoe Mizakie (Sorry, NO idea how to spell his name)/Don Bluth myself.
Yes, that's it! It was the great Miyazaki whom I was thinking of. Thanks, Meg. ;)

Spirited Away has to be one of Miyazaki's most elaborate films to date, besides Howl's Moving Castle, and even the latter film wasn't as in-depth as the former. I though that Spirited Away was absolutely brilliant, in my opinion; however, Totoro will always be my favorite. Before the English version of Totoro came out, I used to be able to recite the whole film in Japanese, because that was the only version of it at the time. ;)
"Welcome to hell." - Skinner

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 7th, 2007, 9:41 pm

Spirited Away is the only Miyazaki film I've seen so far. However, I am trying to get my friend to lend me her collection. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 8th, 2007, 3:05 am

I'm with ya, Meg. Its the only film I've seen of his to. :P
ShyViolet wrote:Spirited Away was mostly a great film, especially the first hour or so. For me the second half kind of peters out and is almost totally incomprehensible, which was when it lost me emotionally. By the end I just wanted it to be over.
I completly agree, I didn't even finish it the first time :?
ShyViolet wrote:It was a real achievement, I agree, but I still think Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron should have received the Best Animated Feature Oscar.
You to? That's what I wanted, but nooo! Ah well, I'm still happy it was nominated :)
ShyViolet wrote:(Although I did think Daveigh did a great job as Jahiro. :) )
Oh, I did to! Even though it wasn't a far stretch from her Lilo voice.

That makes me curious though, why did she make the effort to do this film, and not L&S2? :? They were both Disney, one way or another...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 8th, 2007, 5:14 pm

I still think Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron should have received the Best Animated Feature Oscar.
Why am I not surprised? ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 8th, 2007, 5:25 pm

:P 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 9th, 2007, 6:02 am

that oscar SO belonged to Lilo & Stitch. The real best animated feature of 2002.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 9th, 2007, 4:50 pm

Eh...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2007, 5:10 pm

I disagree. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » January 10th, 2007, 3:03 pm

Spirit was disapointning. Yeah, it was great animation.
But the story was repeating itself again and again....

Lilo and Stitch was cute and some parts were funny (Elvis), but the style of animation isn't really mine.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 10th, 2007, 3:38 pm

Of course not, its Dumbo's. :lol:

The story repeats itself? Not really.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 10th, 2007, 7:52 pm

I agree with Groaning about Spirit- the story just kept going, "Spirit is free! Spirit is captured! Spirit escapes! Spirit is free! Spirit is captured! Spirit escapes!" Etc....It had fantastic animation though.

Lilo and Stitch was cute, but...I dunno. Not really my thing. It wasn't a bad movie at all - again, just not my thing.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 11th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Well, on the "Spirit" note...

The animation was great, and I really liked it at first. It wasn't until I saw it repeated times on DVD that I realized the story was a pile of horse manure. ;)

But I still like it alright, it's just BY FAR my least favorite DW film.