Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » August 14th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Guess I actually never thought of it that way. I guess they are trying to get people to switch though and help decide the format war. I certainly won't be going with a format until the format war is over. Just means I'll have to miss out on owning Ratatouille on DVD also just like I don't own Cars yet.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 15th, 2007, 7:58 am

ShyViolet wrote:Like Apple, Pixar thinks in terms of people buying cutting edge technology no matter what the cost, or if not, then cutting edge technology for the ages, even if not many do not have access to it.

As long as it's "progress" and the important people, like film critics, technology experts and writers can access the BRD discs, I don't think they care much. :?

(Kind of like the iphone deal :roll:)
Nonsense!

First, Apple products are well regarded for being able to run longer than most other products in their class without needing to be replaced. A five year old Mac, for example, will be able to run the upcoming new version of Mac OS X easily. That was no not the case, for example, when Microsoft released their latest OS update this year.

Second, how can you say "Pixar thinks in terms of people buying cutting edge technology no matter what the cost" when the only thing Pixar has EVER sold consumers are DVDs and movie tickets? This is just you projecting your anti-Pixar bias on this situation when it does not apply!

Third, what "iPhone deal"? Everyone has praised the iPhone not just critics and "important people", and a TON of people have bought it! Just because Jobs had a hand in it does not mean you have to automatically hate it!

And lastly to the overall topic, IIRC Disney and Pixar both used to sell two versions of their movies - a basic one disc and a loaded two disc. They're doing the same thing now it seems. Except the two disc is being really loaded up with HD content. Having both a DVD and BD version would mean a stripped down BD because they would try to make sure they had the same content on both. Sure they could down-convert the video for DVD, but they can not duplicate all the extra space and features available on BD.

Blu-ray is not some pie-in the-sky futuristic technology only available to the rich! We're way beyond that now. Players are under $500 (the same as the very popular iPhone!) and dropping and discs are around $20. By federal law all new televisions in stores right now over 19 inches must be digital. The future has arrived today! Thank goodness Disney is jumping on the bandwagon at the onset instead of waiting as long as they did with DVD!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » August 22nd, 2007, 4:34 pm

Well said James.

About Ratatouille in Paris, Remy rocks and beats Nemo on his third week, with a drop of only 3%! That's incredible. More than 4 millions french saw the adventure of Remy since August 1st. Ratatouille can expect to have a 6 millions finish score.
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 23rd, 2007, 9:36 am

Wow! That's great! Nice to see it doing so well in the foreign box office.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » August 27th, 2007, 9:49 am

Finally Ratatouille opened here in India last friday. Watched it just yesterday. My hopes were really really high and it did meet every bit of it. Undoubtedly one of the year's finest films. Great to see the creative team at Pixar pushing the boundaries with every new film!

My biggest disappointment is the upcoming dvd. Wish they had given it a loaded 2-disc standard release just like most of their earlier films. Owning it on BD or standard edition should be optional. How can they deprive us of all the extra features which they always used to give us on standard releases? It surely sucks. I'm not sure if I would pick the barebone release though I loved the movie.
Last edited by Jafar on August 28th, 2007, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banned
Banned

Post by Remy » August 28th, 2007, 1:12 pm

I've seen it 2 times but I want to see it like 2-3 more times before it's on DVD. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 28th, 2007, 2:18 pm

I'm ticked off that this won't be a 2-Disc release as well, Jafar, but I figure this one is good enough to double-dip on. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » August 28th, 2007, 2:58 pm

You're right Meg, but as of now, I'm soooooo disappointed

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » August 28th, 2007, 3:30 pm

Rata, like most of Bird's work, is like Le nozze di Figaro. naturally, it is accompanied by a Salieri(s).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » August 31st, 2007, 7:32 pm

have any of you guys seen a film called "I Am David" made in about 2003 about an English kid who (for some reason) escaped a Bulgarian work camp in 1952 ?. great, emotional film. yeah, i know this is the Rata site, but who cares. talking about another good film on this site seems fine.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 31st, 2007, 9:10 pm

I've heard of it. It sounds really good. I'll definitely see it if I can. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 1st, 2007, 4:21 am

I'm at a loss for words. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 2nd, 2007, 9:41 pm

It's official: Ratatouille has finally crossed 200 million:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... ay-bo.html
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » September 3rd, 2007, 2:19 am

Excellent. I wonder what Jim Hill has to say.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 4th, 2007, 12:24 am

Wow! :shock:

Very interesting article! :)
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... staff.aspx

(Yeah, I'm not saying everything Jim says is 100% accurate, but I found the article to be a good read as I DO think Jim has some sources on the inside.
:wink:)
Last edited by ShyViolet on September 4th, 2007, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.