Tinker Bell

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 29th, 2008, 1:07 am

I agree on the PS3. Updating mine has been soooo easy.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 29th, 2008, 1:52 am

Oh,

The PS3 is easily the best piece of Sony hardware I've bought in 20 years!

Much, much more reliable than the PS1 and PSP were for me. (I've got stories to tell about those two systems! :evil: )

PS2's been good to me, but then again I bought the PS2 AFTER it was redesigned and the first shipments of the slimline models came out.

Anyhow, I try to keep update to with the PS3 firmware since it's proven time and again to be the smart thing to do. They've had problems with some updates but for the most part it's safe within the week after a firmware release.

I was really happy with the 2.48/2.50 updates since they streamlined the video settings and gave us the ability to shut down the system via remote or controller WITHOUT touching the blasted power button!

That alone was worth the download time from Sony's website.

Next on the agendas for the PS3 --

a) more Blu-Rays (duh!);
b) more games -- tis the year for decent games;

and c) an actual Blu-Ray remote.

Using controllers to set audio and subtitle options is for the birds.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2008, 9:01 am

Maybe you guys can advise...

The thing is…I was writing my take on the SD of Sleeping Beauty (the only one we could squeeze outta Disney), and it’s just gotten to the point where it’s nuts that I’m still using SD DVD. Just doesn’t make sense! I’ve always been an early adopter, and have been picking up BDs in anticipation of the player, but although I’ve been trying for the past couple of months to slap some money down on a deck, I’ve been hearing so many contrasting reports about different players and manufacturers that it’s been a bit of a nightmare picking the right player.

Usually, I’ve either been an early adopter or kept my eye on the models that seem the best option, and that’s carried me through LD and DVD, and I still have main players that I’m extremely happy with.

With the battle between HD and BD formats, however, I kept out of the game and ended up losing track. Being in the UK but receiving a lot of US discs, I reasoned I’d import a US player for the majority of my disc viewing, but the news has filtered through that many places are now either selling multi-region decks or there are instructions on how to switch a machine readily online.

Still…the question remains…which one!?

I’m ready to buy, and I basically am looking at the best or so out there. I’m looking at moving home next year and will have the opportunity to build a dedicated home theater from scratch, so although I could hold off until then it just seems nuts to do that with all the good – and essential – stuff coming out this quarter (yes, WALL-E, natch!).

I’ve been looking at reviews for Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer machines, but frankly my head is spinning. Some offer 7.1, some only 5.1 (what’s the point in that!?) output, and so on.

Could you advise – or tell me where to look! – on essentially the couple of so decks that have been causing the most noise? Money is thankfully not something to worry about but I'm probably not looking at a $1000+ Elite model yet...!

I want something that’s going to do me for the next a few years, with the best upscaling, 7.1, obviously Profile 2.0, and multi-region functionality...all-round performance really. Just as in the good old LD days, surely there’s a player or two that jumps to mind as being the "all-in-one" best value (not the cheapest but the best mid/upper priced range one)?

Yep, I’m in the UK, but a model number or the top three to look at would be a great start to go demo the equivalents over here. And, while you’re at it, you couldn’t recommend a very decent AV amp too, as I'll need to upgrade the pretty basic DD/DTS one I use right now (which can end up in our lvinig room).

Looks like I’m going to go for another SharpVision DLP projector, but I’ve been so out of touch on the technology side that all the peripherals are a bit of a mystery to me now… I'm always answering questions on these here forum boards...time to ask one myself and find out from the people who have already taken the plunge.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 30th, 2008, 2:15 am

Ben wrote:Still…the question remains…which one!?
I'm still stuck in late-'07 mode, so can't say whether the Playstation 3 still IS The Most Trouble-Free BD Player On The Market, but for loading times and software update, it's still the major contender to beat.
(Yes, there aren't enough games yet, but what the heck did that ever have to do with it?? :P )

And you haven't bought your PS3 BD Remote (sold separately) yet, George?
It's been on the market about as long as the disks have--Which, through Sony marketing has been...since the beginning, pretty much.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 30th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Ben wrote:Maybe you guys can advise...

Still…the question remains…which one!?

I’m ready to buy, and I basically am looking at the best or so out there. I’m looking at moving home next year and will have the opportunity to build a dedicated home theater from scratch, so although I could hold off until then it just seems nuts to do that with all the good – and essential – stuff coming out this quarter (yes, WALL-E, natch!).

I’ve been looking at reviews for Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer machines, but frankly my head is spinning. Some offer 7.1, some only 5.1 (what’s the point in that!?) output, and so on.

Could you advise – or tell me where to look! – on essentially the couple of so decks that have been causing the most noise? Money is thankfully not something to worry about but I'm probably not looking at a $1000+ Elite model yet...!

I want something that’s going to do me for the next a few years, with the best upscaling, 7.1, obviously Profile 2.0, and multi-region functionality...all-round performance really. Just as in the good old LD days, surely there’s a player or two that jumps to mind as being the "all-in-one" best value (not the cheapest but the best mid/upper priced range one)?

I have no idea about projectors but I understand those usually cost more than deck players.

As for deck players, I'd go with Pioneer or Sony.

Pioneer's a reliable A/V brand but it is more expensive.

Sorry, but I'm not aware of multi-region capability in ANY BD player. Hardware hacks are harder for BD. Nobody's done a software hack for multi-region that I'm aware of, either. The good news for us R1 fans are that we're FINALLY in the same region as the other NTSC zone (Japan) and can import Blu-Rays from the Rising Sun and they play on our decks no problem. (Blu-Rays from Japan are essentially the same as American Blu-Rays if titles releases are 1 month apart. No point in paying an extra $10-$15 for the Japanese BD release if it's the same thing released in the US 3-4 weeks later!!!) Region locks, however, are still in effect for DVDs and R2 DVDs remain locked out on Region A (American and Japanese zone) BD decks. In other words, I can't play Japanese DVDs on my PS3 but I can play Japanese Blu-Rays on the PS3! Weird, but true... Which is why I keep a hacked PS2 for Japanese DVD games!

The reason I'd lean more towards a Sony deck is that a) it's in Sony's interests to keep consumers happy since BD is their format and they do seem to be doing a good job with firmware updates when bugs pop up; b) the reliability factor seems to weigh in -- especially with hardware like the PS3 which a lot of people were skeptical about. Those machines have had an excellent reliability record so far.

I hate to be a Sony pimp, but the PS3 really is an excellent machine. Granted, it should be taken more as a gaming rig, but it does have from all reports (I can verify this because I've read a lot of owner reviews and some pro sites) excellent video upscale capabilities and good hi-def playback in both audio and video. There were issues with overheating in earlier models (which is why I bought a third-party, externally powered fan for my machine) but later models (40GB driver and up) use smaller chips that produce less heat and use less electricity than the previous first-run production 20GB and 60GB (American/Japanese) models and the last PS2-compatible 80GB model. Really, it does seem like the unit has been hardware-debugged in the latest console revision. Some people hate the lack of PS2-compatibility in the newest 80GB model, but it is superior with regards to the facts it won't melt down and uses significantly less power.

If you're not a gamer, go for a standalone deck. There are good standalone decks selling now for $300 American now. They're Profile 2.0, 7.1 Audio (I think), and another reliable Sony brand. There's no point in saving $60-$70 in getting a machine that isn't upgradeable and doesn't have 7.1 audio capability.

Yes, there are continuing problems with software titles (Mr. Bond's BD titles are the latest troublemakers) but these are getting addressed and the firmware updates for the incompatibility issues are getting issued as fast as possible... Recommendation: regardless of what deck you get, ALWAYS keep a bookmark on the website for the latest firmware update!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 30th, 2008, 2:07 pm

So how's the movie? (I want to buy it but don't know when).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 2nd, 2008, 7:07 pm

Daniel wrote:I saw it yesterday and pretty much agree. It's a little cheesy, but it has a lot of heart. It's on my wish list for Blu! I'm also exited for the next film too.
Even the "twist" ending, where Tink smiles as she gets to help do nice things for a little girl named Wendy--
Aww, isn't that sweet?........HERESY! HERESY!!! :evil:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2008, 7:32 pm

I don't follow. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 2nd, 2008, 11:49 pm

With a little warning, I can take the "talking" Tink...
For the sake of narrative plotline, I can even take the constant shots of Tink looking sheepish and giving "Oops, my bad!" expressions. (The Classic version never admitted making mistakes, and always blamed it on Wendy)...

...But when we have the new version actually being friends with Wendy in the last shot, I'm sorry, that's taking "cutesy" revisionism too freakin' far:
BRING BACK OUR NASTY-VERSION TINK!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 3rd, 2008, 8:09 pm

I see, thanks for explaining. Well, I wasn't that bothered really. With Wendy, this a prequel, so why not have them as "friends"? Especially since Peter isn't in the picture? Nasty Tink was in this - at least you could see early traits. Tink's determination on visiting the mainland was somewhat reminiscent of how she wanted get rid of Wendy in Peter Pan. Or for another example, how about when she turned red when she was arguing with Vidia? We are ways away from seeing how she was represented in the original, yes, but if they continue going down this route, you may get your wish in the next chapters.

BTW, did you rent or blind buy this? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 3rd, 2008, 8:32 pm

I rented this a few days ago...It was okay. But however Tinkerbell's voice wasnt how I pictured it...What was good was that Rob Paulsen did the voice of one of the characters in this movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 3rd, 2008, 8:43 pm

Darkblade wrote:What was good was that Rob Paulsen did the voice of one of the characters in this movie.
That would be Bobble, if I'm not mistaken. Rob was good though, I agree. My two favorites were Kristin Chenoweth and America Ferrera. The latter since I'm a huge Ugly Betty fan.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2008, 7:33 am

How come Wendy doesn't remember Tink when they meet in Peter Pan, then?

Does she have her memory wiped on the way to join the Rebel Alliance?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 4th, 2008, 11:00 pm

On the whole Tink and Wendy thing...
If memory serves, Wendy never actually sees Tink in the scene. But I could be wrong.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by xPixiexDustx » November 30th, 2008, 9:42 am

Once Upon A Dream wrote:Anyway looks great :D when it will be released?.
Yeh, does anyone know?! :)