Bambi: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MDA » February 21st, 2005, 6:03 pm

Mickey A wrote:Thanks for the news, Justin. After seeing more pictures from Bambi and the Great Prince, I really wish it was going to theaters, though. Still, maybe Disney is releasing it directly to video and DVD in order to crush all the negative expectations people have of DTVs.
www.mda.dds.nl reported Bambi and the Great Prince will get a theatrical release in the Netherlands

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 21st, 2005, 6:09 pm

France will also get a theatrical release for Bambi2, on February 2006

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » February 21st, 2005, 7:17 pm

A big 'HA!' to everyone who said that Disney Toon Studios don't make quality films. The animation looks fantastic. As for the plot, it looks great but I can't comment on it until I actually see it.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by scrantov » February 22nd, 2005, 2:42 am

That looks absolutely hideous. The animation looks crappy, the drawings are weak and ugly, and the colors and the backgrounds are cheap knockoffs--not the lovely oil paint and gouche backgrounds of the original. Not to mention the music doesn't sound quite like the great Oliver Wallace--but more like that american idol crap.

Shame on Disney for perpetuating this kind of cheapness. Why not spend that energy on something NEW and RELEVANT?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 22nd, 2005, 2:51 pm

askmike1 wrote:A big 'HA!' to everyone who said that Disney Toon Studios don't make quality films. The animation looks fantastic. As for the plot, it looks great but I can't comment on it until I actually see it.
a big HA to the ones who think Bambi 2 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. watching the trailer I kept waiting for someone to come on screen and scream "just kidding!!!", but they're actually serious about it... :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 22nd, 2005, 3:12 pm

the ones who think Bambi 2 is the greatest thing since sliced bread
I have never heard anyone say that they think Bambi 2 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Most people agree though that the animation appears to significantly better than the norm for DTV titles (even though better is slowly beginning to become the norm); also nobody has said one way or the other whether they like the story aspect of it or not because nobody (at least none of us nobodies) has seen it yet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » February 22nd, 2005, 3:53 pm

A big BOO (and not the scare boo, the other boo) to the people that are taking down this midquel by the footage of this trailer... I KNOW it is not going to be like the original, every sequel is... The thing is... If they would release Bambi (the original movie) in theatres now it would bomb. Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest is aiming for modern audiences, not audiences from the Walt Disney era...
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 22nd, 2005, 5:07 pm

following the logic from Disney execs, today's audience only desserve to see crappy unimaginative sequels and not great animation event with ORIGINAL story and characters, great songs and music, great story... no today's audience is too dumb...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 22nd, 2005, 5:24 pm

Jens wrote:A big BOO (and not the scare boo, the other boo) to the people that are taking down this midquel by the footage of this trailer... I KNOW it is not going to be like the original, every sequel is... The thing is... If they would release Bambi (the original movie) in theatres now it would bomb. Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest is aiming for modern audiences, not audiences from the Walt Disney era...
I think it's wrong to make sequels to old films. Bambi was made in a different time with different ideas and with different approaches to filmmaking. The new movie will be made with all the ideas of modern times for a modern audience. I see your point and I see how you feel we need to look at this as something totally different than the original. But come ON, this is still the same Bambi, who is through a midquel forwarded 60 years in time, where it turns out his childhood wasn't all as crappy as assumed back in 1942. It's wrong. Isn't there a tiny little part of you that thinks that maybe there is a tiny possibility that this is wrong/just for profit/damaging the integrity of the company? Just judging the concept? not the animation or the trailer (sure the animation looks nice and shiny) Because I just hate how they use the "walt's orignal story idea" argument to point it out as if Walt produced it. Walt took it out for a reason. That is what the cutting room floor is for: bad ideas. Bambi being raised by his dad is one of them. Regardless of wether this is for a new generation. One thing I loved about the original was the prince being a mysterious character. And that at the end Bambi was there.

I can't believe Im going into this again lol. Just so you know I am happy lots of people enjoy the sequels and am glad they serve some perpose. I'm also glad some people seem okay with the direction Disney is going in. But that is simply not where I stand. And before you judge me for judging this movie before seeing it, I am not judging the trailer or the animation. Just the concept of this new film and Disney's management decisions. I am also not against sequels to disney's animated classic in general. Just not this way. This is only my opinion and I don't want any misconception over me being against sequels. Like I said: not this way... When they chose for quantity over quality they sold the company's soul to the highest bidder. And that is what this is all about for me... it makes me sad :cry: Nothing, not the shiniest outsourced animation in the world, can justify that decision. nothing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 22nd, 2005, 6:01 pm

Cast your vote against it by not buying it or watching it. That's a perfectly valid response. There's absolutely nothing whatsoever saying you have to watch it. Really! You act like you need to resist it with all your might. You can say, "Sequels are okay but not this way," but any time they make a sequel in any way somebody is going to be offended because it doesn't fit their vision. Besides, you're making an all-or-nothing proposition out of this. I don't know of a single person (above the age of 6) who swallows the sequels hook, line, and sinker yet you are trying to characterize everyone who has said, "Hey, that animation looks pretty good," as somebody who has no capability of critical analysis. You just have to accept that not everything Disney produces is going to coincide 100% with your imagination, but, then again, everyone has to accept that . . . even Walt Disney . . . and Michael Eisner. And if you were in their place I guarantee you there'd be people making all sorts of criticisms about anything coming out under your direction, not because there's something wrong with you but because it's inevitable.

We also don't know that Walt "cut it out" because it was a bad idea. Not everything that falls on the cutting room floor is a "bad idea." And it's not like they're releasing a special edition of the original Bambi with 80 minutes of new footage . . . but you act like that's what's happening.

Funny thing is, a lot of people get mad at Walt himself for not always being true to the books his movies were based on, but in the book of Bambi his father has a bigger role than in the movie, so maybe the original Bambi really should have shown the Great Prince more.
Last edited by Christian on February 22nd, 2005, 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 22nd, 2005, 7:51 pm

*applauds Christian's speech* :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

It's crap...I've seen it.

Post by scrantov » February 23rd, 2005, 1:24 am

Look, I've seen a copy of this already. Let's just say I live in Burbank. It's garbage from top to bottom. The only folks who will like it are those who really loved Cinderella 2 and Hunchback 2. The animation in Bambi 2 is almost as good as those two. It's a touch better than Lady and the Tramp 2 and Dragontales--but not much. But really, who cares about the animation? People don't watch these films JUST because they're animated (how boring), but because they expect the film to be GOOD. It's not--it's a lame re-hashing of the original. Only without the subtley, wit, charm, or craftsmanship of the original. Walt Disney didn't make films for kids, he made FILMS. Great ones. As far as this trash goes, it's barely passable as babysitting fodder for 2 year olds. With so many other rewarding options in the world, why encourage the Disney Branding Machine to continue raping the classics and your kids imagination?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

It's crap...I've seen it.

Post by scrantov » February 23rd, 2005, 1:26 am

Look, I've seen a copy of this already. Let's just say I live in Burbank. It's garbage from top to bottom. The only folks who will like it are those who really loved Cinderella 2 and Hunchback 2. The animation in Bambi 2 is almost as good as those two. It's a touch better than Lady and the Tramp 2 and Dragontales--but not much. But really, who cares about the animation? People don't watch these films JUST because they're animated (how boring), but because they expect the film to be GOOD. It's not--it's a lame re-hashing of the original. Only without the subtley, wit, charm, or craftsmanship of the original. Walt Disney didn't make films for kids, he made FILMS. Great ones. As far as this trash goes, it's barely passable as babysitting fodder for 2 year olds. With so many other rewarding options in the world, why encourage the Disney Branding Machine to continue raping the classics and your kids imagination?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 23rd, 2005, 2:40 am

I've never said anybody should make bad films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 23rd, 2005, 3:47 am

Walt Disney didn't make films for kids, he made FILMS
i buy that! and today, the only one i see that follow those paths are the folks at PIXAR and Ghibli. Walt's true spirit lies in thoses studios, not anymore in the CORPORATION that owns his name.