Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 12th, 2009, 8:40 pm

The trick, though, is archiving these things if you don't want to destroy the records.

There are USB turntables for records that let you import sound but you need plenty of hard drive space for importing! I've heard mixed reviews about these, though...

My old video capture card -- one of the few pieces of hardware that I could salvage from my last computer -- is great for importing sound from audio cassette and that's how I created my own CDs of the Kingdom Come (comic series) audio adaptation. I did the same for a comedy album that I had on cassette but was way beyond reason for an official CD upgrade. Online wanted $30-$40 for the out-of-print CD! I liked the album but it wasn't THAT good!

I've listened to over half the "Ord Mantell" mp3 and it does have skip problems that are related to the recording it was captured from. I don't know that there is much that can be done for that other than to find another copy on cassette or record that doesn't have these problems. Hiss reduction and scratches are relatively easy to fix but the danger with those filters is getting rid of sound that IS part of the recording.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 13th, 2009, 4:46 pm

I dubbed over to CD a ton of records like this. Readalong story versions of Snow White, Peter Pan and a lot of the old Disney stories. Very fun.

Took a while - I went through a "phase" of dubbing my old rare soundtrack albums that didn't look like they would see the light of day on CD (the original Muppet Show albums, Three Amigos - even Popeye for goodness sake!) but it was worth it. Having access to some seriously heavy audio gear meant I could basically remaster these to pro standard before downsampling them to disc. Naturally, I scanned in the original LP sleeves and used them for the covers.

:)

GeorgeC

IT...... WON'T....... DIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!

Post by GeorgeC » March 2nd, 2009, 4:06 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... und_for_us

Lucky Brits.

You get to suffer first! :twisted:

Best to get the pain out of the way quickly...! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 2nd, 2009, 4:46 pm

For a split second I thought your header had my name! :shock: Yeah, it's one of those days where my mind plays tricks. ;)

Onto the news, oy vey! Reminds me of when the Simpsons had Mark Hammil .. now that was cool.

I also think we should start using this thread as a dumping ground for Musicals.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 2nd, 2009, 7:03 pm

Okay.

'Sfine by me.

Next up -- Hulk the Musical!

Hulk Smash, Hulk Bash,
All world is Hulk's Trash!

... or something like that!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 2nd, 2009, 7:07 pm

Ha, good one! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 2nd, 2009, 8:42 pm

What's funny is that a few years ago, someone did a complete soundtrack for a fictitious Star Wars musical as a fan project. What's even funnier is that it's actually pretty good, though a bit ridiculous.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2009, 2:49 pm

I'm thinking that this should be more for the general Star Wars thread...since it's not a "musical".

Anyhoo, remember the "free" DVD you got in the Sith soundtrack? The one which had around nine "suite" versions of John Williams' themes mixed to footage from all six movies?

This is basically that in a "live" environment, with the same footage projected big time onto a screen, and a live orchestra making the noise. I actually got an invite to it, but passed. I just don't have much time for the three prequels and have seen the footage on the DVD.

The advertising has been VERY vague here...none of it mentions if John Williams would actually be conducting, or who the "mystery narrator" would be: on the DVD it was Ian McDiarmid who would be fairly cool to hear live, but then again it's on the DVD.

And if it's not him? Okay, I missed out. But if it is? Whassabigdeal? ;)

It could never beat Bugs Bunny On Broadway! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 3rd, 2009, 3:02 pm

Ben wrote:I'm thinking that this should be more for the general Star Wars thread...since it's not a "musical".
Fine here. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 4th, 2009, 11:09 am

The Family Guy parody for Return of the Jedi is a go. One of the funniest jokes is the title of the episode itself --
"Episode VI: The Great Muppet Caper"!

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/03/family-g ... -jedi.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2009, 5:20 pm

OMG I love that. When they get it right they get it SO right! :)

They did an Empire one? I think I heard about that but it hasn't shown here. Was it another double-length special?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 4th, 2009, 5:49 pm

So it's not a real musical, then? No "Jedi Rocks" or "Lapti Nek"? No rapping Yoda? Too bad. Could've been the next "Shrek: The Musical." Reminds me a little of the LucasArts logos for the Rogue Squadron video games. One had stormtroopers dancing to "Cantina Band" and one had Darth Vader, Luke, Han, Lando and the gang rocking to the infamous disco version of the Star Wars theme.

By the way, a little off topic here, but those Rogue Squadron video games have some of the most hilarious glitches I've ever seen.

As far as Family Guy is concerned...
"Uncle Owen? Aunt Beru?

*GASPS*

JOHN WILLIAMS!!!
Great, now we're going to have to the rest of this with Danny Elfman"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 4th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Ben wrote:They did an Empire one? I think I heard about that but it hasn't shown here. Was it another double-length special?
It hasn't premiered on TV or DVD yet in the US, but it's a pretty safe bet it will be about the same length. With all the names and code name mumbo jumbo, I was starting to get confused!

But I agree with your continued phrase... still a little shocked it's coming from you, but stranger things have happened. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Shocked? E-gad! Yet another comment missed! ;)

http://animated-views.com/2008/return-t ... professor/

Haha...I even said the same thing! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 4th, 2009, 6:50 pm

No, no, I remember reading that, I'm still just a little shocked. ;) Yes, you said the same thing, hence my agreeing with you. Silly!