Happy Feet

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 26th, 2007, 7:17 am

I agree with everything you said, Vi, and have even more problems with it than you mentioned...However I still ended up enjoying it. I don't know why - I guess it was just a bad story told well, or something. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 26th, 2007, 8:12 am

There was some cute stuff, I admit. :wink: And the action scenes were just awesome.

I think the best thing about it was the risks they took, the weird and unconventional stuff. It just had this very different feel. No wonder if felt so fresh with all the very similar animal/comedies/brotherhood/family thing we see again and again.....:roll:

I can kinda see why it got Best Animated Film. Still, I don't agree with it. But at least it was a "different" choice...:P

BTW, I do still think Robin Williams would make a GREAT animated bad guy. :D
(especially if it's the right project, and they actually let the bad guy be EVIL.)

What do you guys think? :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 26th, 2007, 2:53 pm

It would be interesting to see that...I actually thought he didn't do that bad of a job in Happy Feet - it was most of the female voices (Gloria and Norma Jean) that grated on me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 26th, 2007, 5:46 pm

it was most of the female voices (Gloria and Norma Jean) that grated on me.
Oh yes.....they were awful!! :(

(I did like the "short Peguins" voices however. They were funny. The crowd I saw it with love them. :wink:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 26th, 2007, 7:17 pm

You could easily recognise Elizabeth Daily ( Tommy from rugrats ) as little mumbles voice. It was almost exactly like tommy

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 26th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Yes, you could...They should have used a little kid to voice baby Mumble. Daily did a cute job, but a child would have felt more 'real'...Imagine if they had an adult read Boo's lines! :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 26th, 2007, 10:40 pm

Yeah, one thing I've always loved about Don Bluth's films is that he uses real (and talented) children to voice the parts. Think of Fieval from American Tail, Littlefoot and his friends in Land Before Time, and Anne-Marie in All Dogs Go to Heaven. These unknown kids put more into those parts than 99% of the the celebrities doing voiceovers now. :wink:

And of course Pixar always had real kids in their films--Boo, like Meg said, Dot, Nemo, Squirt, Dash, etc.....:)

(And of course Daveigh in Disney's Lilo and Stitch and 12-year-old Joey Lawrence in Oliver and Company! :) ) (Flounder's voice-over was also a real little kid.)

Fieval Mouskowitz wouldn't be half the character he is without Philip Glasser! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 27th, 2007, 3:31 am

Yeah, I've heard that penguin that sounds like Tommy to, freaky! :P

Btw, great review, Vi! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 27th, 2007, 10:54 am

Thanks, Dan. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 28th, 2007, 4:11 pm

I agree with everything you said, Vi, and have even more problems with it than you mentioned.

Just curious Meg, what were some of your other problems with the film? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 24th, 2007, 11:38 pm

It would be interesting to see that...I actually thought he didn't do that bad of a job in Happy Feet - it was most of the female voices (Gloria and Norma Jean) that grated on me.
Technically, if you think about it: Robin Williams DID do a voice in a DreamWorks film.

It was called AI: Artifical Intelligence. :wink: :P He played "Dr. Know" that weird hologram thingy who told Haley Joel Osmont about the Blue Fairy.

I guess he didn't have a problem doing a voice-over for DreamWorks (and Paramount, who co-distributed the film) but won't do one for DreamWorks Animation? Weird.....:?

(Was it just for old time's sake for his buddy Steven?)

(What about Disney? Didn't he go back in 1996 and do Genie again? I still don't get him....:roll:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 25th, 2007, 7:06 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 25th, 2007, 1:05 pm

I saw it Ben! :) Liked it.

I also saw what you said in the other thread, but I still wonder: will Robin ever do an animated voice for the Mouse again?

(I guess now that sequels have been "banned" means there won't be any more Aladdin films for him to do Genie in....? :?)

I STILL think he'd make a great animated villain. Totally playing against type would be perfect....:wink: Just my 2 cents.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 4th, 2007, 11:18 pm

ShyViolet wrote:(I guess now that sequels have been "banned" means there won't be any more Aladdin films for him to do Genie in....? :?)
Well, there are going to be new animated Jasmine stories (Princess Enchanted Tales). But I really doubt Disney would get him. I'm still curious to know if Dan (ha, same name! :P) will return, or if they'll try to find a new sound-alike.

Time will tell! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 5th, 2007, 7:47 am

You definitely hit the nail on the head in that one...Good review.