Happy Feet

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 22nd, 2009, 6:09 am

How can Happy Feet be a rip off of The Pebble And The Penguin? The only thing I see that they have in common is singing penguins. But even then one film the penguins sing just cause they can and in the other the penguins are singing to find a mate (which happens in real life but it's more sqwarks than pop songs)

One penguin is caught for a zoo, the other penguin is found washed up on a beach and sent to zoo.

Both have rockhopper penguins but since they live in Antarctica that's a given.

And the whole give a pebble to your loved one is scientific fact for that peguin species (Adele I think) not artistic license.

I'm not surprised that a sequel is being made. I hope it lives up to the first one. I was surprised by how much I got swept away with the story.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2011, 12:18 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 27th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Saw it before KFP2! Once again they're going to market it as a film it really is not.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Happy Feet

Post by Darkblade » May 27th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Don bluth never even cared about Pebble and the penguin, from what I have heard about the film it had a very troublesome production. Btw, I thought the sequel for happy feet was dead.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 28th, 2011, 10:34 pm

OMG, that's adorable! :)

Sorry. I'm a sucker for this sort of thing. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 29th, 2011, 3:45 pm

I will say that, as much as I was confused by what Happy Feet turned out to be, I really like the Stevie Wonder-tracked teaser, with Mumble slowly beginning to dance. Most of it is from the music, but that teaser also shows what Happy Feet might have been...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 9th, 2011, 6:13 am

So, last night, I got to attend a preview screening of Happy Feet Two (which was also attended by George Miller) and I quite liked it.

I quite liked it, might even be a little better than the first one. Something that the trailers don't reveal, oddly enough, is the plot. Most of the flick is set in one location as it involves the penguins trying to get out of a canyon. Could have gotten repetitive, but is actually quite involving. The animation is stunning and the 3-D is used to really good effect. The song numbers work well, but the best bits actually involve those two krill, who are kind of like Scrat in the Ice Age series. They're not really important to the main story, but when they show up, they steal the movie.

So, I liked it and if you enjoyed the first one, this one is a solid follow-up. The environmental message is actually more subtle this time around.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » November 9th, 2011, 8:50 am

Good to hear the enviromental message is more subtle, that was my main complaint with the first one. Also good to hear the Krill are as funny as they appear. Looks like I'll be seeing this 'un after all!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » November 9th, 2011, 6:50 pm

And you have to see Teaser 1 in a 3-D theater:
When the seal knocks over the title, the penguin chick actually is hanging "over" the audience. 8)
(Nice to see that native-shot 3D movies are getting over their Avatar "depth" fetish, and getting back to the good old days of throwing gimmicks out at the audience.)

Although it's hard not to think "Uh, didn't we already get hip-hop fly-girl penguins this year with Jim Carrey? :? "
estefan wrote:So, last night, I got to attend a preview screening of Happy Feet Two (which was also attended by George Miller) and I quite liked it.

I quite liked it, might even be a little better than the first one. Something that the trailers don't reveal, oddly enough, is the plot. .
Played a demo of the spinoff PS3 game (also in 3-D 8) ), and one plot they don't reveal is what I refer to as Hook Syndrome:
Mumble is now a dad, and worries that he can't reach out to his teenage son.....penguin.
(Nemo aside, does anybody want to see parent-guilt subplots in kid films, as much as new-parent screenwriters want to write them?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by James » November 10th, 2011, 11:20 pm

...Something that the trailers don't reveal, oddly enough, is the plot...
Not odd at all, that's how they roll!

;)