Harry Potter and the Wizarding World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 17th, 2007, 10:40 am

I'm cautiously optimistic abot OotP. I know it's impossible to condense a 900 page book to a 2 1/2 hour movie (which is why Eragon didn't even try and only adapted part of it, or so I've heard) so I honestly don't know if it'll be an okay film or a disaster. The first, second and fourth films were pretty good adaptations (in fact I was amazed at how well Goblet of Fire was translated given that they literally cut half the book out), but the third film was not. I have maintained since its release that Prisoner of Azkaban is a good and enjoyable movie by itself but a horrible adaptation of the book that completely ruins it for the fans. I fear that Order of the Phoenix will fall into the latter catagory like PoA before it. It won't necessarily be a bad film, but it won't be a good adaptation either. They ought to do okay with Half Blood Prince 'cause that book actually has fat that could be trimmed without losing any of the story. OotP however doesn't have that. If you read the book, almost every single chapter advances the story in some way without getting sidetracked hardly ever. That's why I'm concerned about the cinematic results. Do any of you guys get what I'm saying?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 17th, 2007, 11:27 am

I have to come forward and say that Prisoner Of Askaban didn't work for me as a film at all, down to how that adapted the book. The director gets a lot of credit for the darker tone, but Columbus <I>was</I> going that way from the second half of Chamber Of Secrets onwards anyhow.

The best one for me, as a film, was Goblet Of Fire, which did do an amazing job of being an enjoyable story for those who had not read the books <I>and</I> a terffic adaptation for those who had, even if they did have to drop half of it for time.

And after Phoenix, I'm sorry to hear that Emily Watson won't be Hermione. Apparantly she doesn't get on with Radcliffe and Grint - who are both staying - and doesn't want to be typecast. WB have offered her tons of dough, and frankly I think she's making a rash choice that she'll regret. Not only is she giving up a chance to be a part of movie history and a lifetime of royalties across all seven movies - a stronger position to be in when it comes to box sets and full-season broadcasts on TV - but I fear there will be a backlash against her from the audience who will feel she's let them down. Whatever she does now, she'll always be Hermoine, so she'd be better off grabbing the dough, putting up with it for two more years, and being much more secure for the future.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » April 17th, 2007, 1:19 pm

eddievalient wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic abot OotP. I know it's impossible to condense a 900 page book to a 2 1/2 hour movie (which is why Eragon didn't even try and only adapted part of it, or so I've heard) so I honestly don't know if it'll be an okay film or a disaster. The first, second and fourth films were pretty good adaptations (in fact I was amazed at how well Goblet of Fire was translated given that they literally cut half the book out), but the third film was not. I have maintained since its release that Prisoner of Azkaban is a good and enjoyable movie by itself but a horrible adaptation of the book that completely ruins it for the fans. I fear that Order of the Phoenix will fall into the latter catagory like PoA before it. It won't necessarily be a bad film, but it won't be a good adaptation either. They ought to do okay with Half Blood Prince 'cause that book actually has fat that could be trimmed without losing any of the story. OotP however doesn't have that. If you read the book, almost every single chapter advances the story in some way without getting sidetracked hardly ever. That's why I'm concerned about the cinematic results. Do any of you guys get what I'm saying?
I actually thought a lot of OotP had a lot of extra padding... at the forefront that stupid Harry/Cho social drama. But there is a lot to fit in the movie, and I hope they'll do it justice. I agree that PoA was a disappointing adaptation, though... though Buckbeak was pretty awesome.

@Ben: Yeah, I agree - she's already assumed the character's identity and it'll be jarring to have a completely different Hermione for the last two movie... it'd be in everyone's best interests for her to just stick it out and be done with it. But I don't know what's going on in her head - maybe she and the boys REALLY don't get along nowadays?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 17th, 2007, 1:41 pm

Ben wrote:And after Phoenix, I'm sorry to hear that Emily Watson won't be Hermione.
She's signed on for the last 2 movies.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/03/23/emm ... ter-films/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 17th, 2007, 1:48 pm

Oops...EMMA!

Where did I get Emily from?

Phew...that was a close one. Though her comments have obviously been written by a studio hypist, there must be <I>some</I> goodwill on the sets. She might have to put up with the filming for a couple of more years, but she'll be thankful in the long run.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 17th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Where did I get Emily from?
Didn't she play the mother in the film version of Angela's Ashes? (1999)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001833/

She was also in a movie called "Miss Potter"--it had nothing to do with Harry Potter however!! :)
The director gets a lot of credit for the darker tone, but Columbus was going that way from the second half of Chamber Of Secrets onwards anyhow

You are my idol Ben!! :)

I'm so sick of people putting down Columbus and saying that all he did was adapt the books verbatim or whatever....I thought he added A LOT of great touches that weren't in Rowling's book or in Azkaban. (which I liked but not as much as Chamber of Secrets, my fave Potter film, actually one of my fave films ever. :wink: Rowling should be greatful they picked him to direct her film, since he's a veteran blockbuster director....OK, he ain't Spielberg, not by a long shot, but neither is Alfonso Curaron....:roll:)

I didn't see Goblet of Fire, partly 'cause Azkaban disappointed me a bit...but I'll have to give it a chance. :wink:
Phew...that was a close one. Though her comments have obviously been written by a studio hypist, there must be some goodwill on the sets. She might have to put up with the filming for a couple of more years, but she'll be thankful in the long run.
I'm glad she's staying and I think it's best for her in the long run too.

She's good as Hermoine and fits the role, but as an actress, she's not anywhere in the leagues of Radcliffe or Grint. Not trying to put her down or anything, but just my impression.

I wonder if that has to do with why they don't get along? Is she insecure about her talent compared to them or something?

She's an OK actress and all, and she could always improve. But both Radcliffe and Grint had an iconic presence from Potter 1 which she, unfortunately, just didn't.

She's still very young however (I think she's almost two years younger than them) so hopefully she'll get better. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 18th, 2007, 1:44 pm

Yes, Emily Watson is another actress. She was in a movie I watched last night.

You should see Goblet Of Fire...it's much closer to the spirit of the first two but has the epic quality that some felt were missing from those films. I think it's my favorite of the series so far, all things considered.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 27th, 2007, 7:48 am

I've merged several of the HP movie threads together into this one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 27th, 2007, 7:49 am

AICN has the final HP one-sheet
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32431

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 22nd, 2007, 1:49 pm

Didn't he cut his hair for another role he was doing? I think it was in a play.
I know you asked this question months ago WJ (sorry :wink:) but yes, Daniel was in Equus, a very famous play about a troubled young man obsessed with horses. He had to do some pretty intense things there, and a lot of critics said he did an awesome job. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 22nd, 2007, 2:08 pm

^I forgot we had the same name. Haha. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 24th, 2007, 9:13 am

Got a chill looking at the standee in the theater the other night. I am excited in a way! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » July 18th, 2007, 2:36 pm

Lets talk Phoenix, anyone seen it yet?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2007, 4:30 pm

You obviously didn't pick up my comments on the front page today! ;)

http://animated-views.com/2007/potterma ... ete-pluto/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 18th, 2007, 8:04 pm

I enjoyed it. I thought the first act was weak but the second and third were entertaining enough to make up for it. The finale was fantastic!