Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2006, 2:37 pm

I thought it was Hercules! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 25th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Fantastic Four 2 trailer description via Aint It Cool! :) (Moriarty)
Well, I can't actually show him - but I've just seen the Fantastic Four 2 teaser and I can say that every comic geek will soon be busting a nut over this. I know a lot of people had issues with the first film, or outright bashed it, but I thought it was a decent, if under whelming, introduction to the characters - much in line with the first X-Men movie. So my expectations for the sequel were moderate - stoked mostly by the thought of seeing one of Marvel's great cosmic icons in live action. Now having seen the teaser, my expectations for the film have been considerably raised. This is one of the best trailers I've seen lately - and there's been quite a few kick-ass ones in recent weeks. I'll describe it in the following two paragraphs - so skip to the end of the post if you want to see it fresh for yourself on prints of Night at the Museum this weekend.

The cool approach that Fox has taken with this is to show a single scene - or at least an extended portion of a scene, as opposed to the usual barrage of quick cuts associated with action trailers (kind of like the trailer for last summer's The Devil Wears Prada, which I think was also a Fox film). We start at the wedding of Sue and Reed, with actor (and comic book fan) Brian Posehn as the preacher. Suddenly a silver streak splits through the sky. Reed directs Johnny to flame on and follow the object. The rest of the teaser is a high speed chase between Johnny and the Surfer.

We see the Surfer trying to shake Johnny off by using a power not seen in the comics - not to my knowledge, at least - wherein he's able to phase through solid objects (like the X-Men's Kitty Pryde or Marvel's android character The Vision). We see the Surfer phase through buildings and vehicles in an effort to outrace Johnny's pursuit. When that finally fails, the Surfer simply turns and grabs Johnny by the neck - stopping him cold. The Surfer then wordlessly flies them both to the outer reaches of the atmosphere where the lack of oxygen snuffs out Johnny's flame. The Surfer then releases Johnny, letting him plummet to the Earth as the title card slams onto the screen - and the wait for next summer just got that much longer.

In less than a minute and a half, this teaser delivered more comic book action than the entire first film so I'd say that bodes well for FF2 to make the same leap in quality as X-Men 2 and Spider-Man 2. The Surfer looks incredible, and yes, I know this wasn't horror news but I hope you'll agree that it was way too cool not to rave about.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 26th, 2006, 9:13 am

Here's a pic of SS as well -

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 26th, 2006, 9:36 am

Wow! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 26th, 2006, 12:54 pm

So when is the trailer for this gonna be released on the 'net? Didn't it come out with Night at the Museum last Friday? :?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 26th, 2006, 3:52 pm

I believe they have it up at comingsoon.net.

And yes, according to ads, it's playing with "Nightr at the Museum".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 27th, 2006, 2:38 am

Ain't It Cool has a link to the trailer, which is in Quicktime:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31077

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 27th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Snazzle! :D

Hmm...That was pretty cool. But I still think the Human Torch looks crappy. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 28th, 2006, 10:22 am

HT isn't that bad, although he could be a little better. But for the most part Surfer's CGI is AWFUL! (IMO) Much better in stills. Gee, I didn't know it was still 1991.
It's funny how with all the technology we have nowadays so many movies with big budgets still screw up the SFX! :?

(Some films with great SFX are Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man 2, etc...)

Also, Surfer and Torch better not dominate this film, it better have a lot of Reed. :wink: :oops: I'm still very excited about the film, it's so cool to see these guys again! Thing looks better too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 29th, 2006, 8:14 am

Just watched this...mixed feelings...

While I think it's cool to have basically one action sequence cut down for a trailer, I didn't get the essence of what the others would be doing. Alba, while she looks hot, is too plastered in make up, but then it is her wedding day! ;)

Silver Surfer looks waaaay to CG to me. Like they didn't even try and get away from the T2 look of 1991. And I'm not sure on this melding of franchises anyway. Seems waaay to much like a set up for a stand-alone SS movie where they get away with establishing him in another franchise to make it a soft fall if the film fails.

Thing does look a little better, but still too small. And SS is no-where near how good Abe Sapien looked in Hellboy. He was cool there. I don't know...is this just going to be some franchise thing where SS comes, is misunderstood and then they all team up to go after Doom again? The title doesn't point to him being a villain, but that's how they're painting it right now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 29th, 2006, 2:39 pm

You can actually watch all of T2 on YouTube. (although probably not for long.) I just checked out some clips and it's remarkably similar to what they do here.

I also hope this isn't just "Meet the Surfer!" I'm much more interested in the FF and their relationship with each other and of course Doom. I was actually kind of let down when I first heard that FF 2 would have Silver Surfer.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 29th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Yeah. Me feels a franchise launch for another series is all this is cracking up to be...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 30th, 2006, 8:48 am

I looked through Premiere Mag's 2007 preview issue yesterday and apparently, yes, there IS going to be a huge focus on Surfer. :? From the way the plot was described, it almost seems like he's the main character and the FF are supporting players. (!!) WTF???? Although the relationships and character development are supposed to be stronger in this one, there's also a lot of focus on Johnny, which is what I suspected. :(

Oh brother. :? Well, it was just my impression, so it could be wrong--I hope!! :roll:
Yeah. Me feels a franchise launch for another series is all this is cracking up to be...
Exactly. If they wanted to do Silver Surfer so bad, why didn't they just give him a movie of his own?? Why bother with the FF at all then? :(

Oh, and WETA is doing the digital SFX. Considering the resemblence to T2, I wonder how the people at ILM feel about this film ripping them off? :roll: (Well, kind of.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 17th, 2007, 1:07 pm

he main reasons I can't wait to see FF2 are to see more of Chiklis as The Thing (he totally OWNS that role)
Yeah, I listened to the commentary (it had Ioan, Jessica, and Michael, but not Chris Evans' Johnny Storm for some reason.) and apparently Chiklis is a HUGE comic fan, hence his absolute NAILING of Thing! :)

(He also used to be on ABC's "The Commish"! :P)

I'm still a bit apprehensive of FF2 however--I read an article about it in Total Film and apparently the screenwriter is a HUGE Surfer fan, that's pretty much the focus of the script, or at least that's how it seemed! :( But I'll wait until we know more of course. :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 17th, 2007, 3:00 pm

Have you guys heard? There's gonna be a new trailer at "300". Can't wait! :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."