Kung Fu Panda

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 9th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Whippet Angel-I posted it in the Shark Bait thread,this rip-off is so sad :P.
starlioness wrote:hmmm.. I think the only one who shoulda been crucified would've been Tzekel-Khan(sp?) .. or Chel .. because I just don't like her.. 8) ..
From what I remember Tzekel Khan should,maybe Chel,she's such a hoochie (She even had even making out with Tulio from what I remember? I haven't seen this movie since 4th grate),now that I think of it,why whould Miguel be curcified?,about Sinbad it's a bad movie,I liked the godess thought,what was her name?,and Spirit is boring IMO,almost the whole movie is about a horse who's keep getting captured by people until the end and the songs aren't intersting.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » March 10th, 2009, 6:09 pm

there are some people complain that Megara was just a seductive sexpot in Hercules but at least she had a brain.. (or at least a better personality) :p..

hmm.. I don't know why they'd crucify Miguel.. maybe the El Doradians were mad that he wasn't a real god..hmm 8)

and the goddess's name was Eris.. which some claim to be Ursula's and Hade's love child.. LOL.. 8) ..

yeah, Spirit could've been so much better.. I orginally thought it was about the civil war (or the experiences of an army horse in the 1800's ) through the horses eyes.. Spirit was kinda that .. but it was more like Black Beauty of the west.. really dumbed down..

not to mention .. I sometimes refer to Spirit as double-oat-seven.. he's freaking James Bond in a horse suit.. I mean he (voluntarily in this case) goes to see what the 2-legged's are doing gets captured, busts out with the help of a sidekick, falls in love, and blows the whole "civilizing" the west plan of the humans, and is in another chase.. (running/defeating the bad guy) then goes back to base and everything's happy.. sheesh.. how lame.. 8) ..

I thought the songs were o.k though.. I mean , I don't expect the horses to go all Broadway on me.. :p

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 5th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Couldn't find a thread to the sequel, so this seems like the appropriate place to post this. I went to see Megamind today (which I quite enjoyed, by the way, there was a surprising emotional layer to be found here among the superhero hyjinks) and they played a teaser for Kung Fu Panda 2, which I don't think is online yet.

It simply consisted of...
Po practising his kung fu (with the necessary "Kung Fu Fighting" song playing in the background), his stomach rumbling cueing the first joke of the teaser, followed then by Po doing a staring contest at the audience.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Kung Fu Panda 2 VS. Cars 2 (A Fight to The Death)

Post by LotsoA113 » May 2nd, 2011, 9:36 pm

Well after reading Bens great review of The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2, I thought I'd light a stick of dynamite and blow up some conversation. Which is better...Kung Fu Panda 2 or Cars 2?

Right now I'd say Cars, mainly because it looks fun and hilarious and the fact that Pixar has had a super spotless track record dosent hurt either. However, tihs isn't another "Pixar is the beast, dawg" type of thread (despite what my username suggests. This is merely noting something.

Every time I see a Kung Fu Panda 2 commercial, I feel like either laughing or groaning. After all, sequels aren't rare, but a good one is. A great one like Shrek 2, The Dark Knight, Airplane: Part, Gremlins 2 or toy Story 3 is far rarer. Something tells me Panda 2 won't be as good as its preddeccesor just b/c Jeffery K. rushed it. Like Madagascar 2, he got caught up in a fury of "They love me! they really love me" frenzy and never got out. Similar to Madagascar 2, this one takes on new enviorments and characters that don't look to gel, a villain that looks repetitive (Gary Oldman is fantastic though, delivering a wonderful performance in the otherwise painfully bad Red Riding Hood). The worst thing it has, from what I've heard, is unneeded emotion.

Like Madagascar 2, uneeded emotion ruined what could've been a fun romp. Madagascar was fun in a knock-about kind of way. Its sequel got lost trying to be art. I hope Kung Fu Panda 2 tries not to go too dark and emotional just for the heck of it. I know this is mainly on speculation and all, but I feel this could be an interestign topic, especially once Cars 2 comes out.

Any thoughts?
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Kung Fu Panda 2 VS. Cars 2 (A Fight to The Death)

Post by droosan » May 2nd, 2011, 10:55 pm

mightn't it just be possible to enjoy both..? :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 3rd, 2011, 12:29 am

Unneeded emotion? Did you not see "Toy Story 3," Losto? ;)

Seriously, though, what's wrong with "Kung Fu Panda 2" having some drama? The original was emotionally rich, so I'm glad to knowthat they're at least trying to go that route with the sequel.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » May 3rd, 2011, 9:23 am

Wait, why are we discussing which is the superior of two films that haven't even opened yet?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2011, 11:02 am

Exactly!

We could have a "which are you more anticipating" slant to the thread though... ;)

For me, I have to say I'm not gagging to see either of them, since they're both being made for money only. On the one hand, KFP2 may have the richer drama and developing mythology to draw on, but C2 looks like it could be some super-simple fun that pulls back from some of the dreariness of the first.

There's going to be a better case for when they are both out, but even then I'd wager that the better comparisons would be:which is better? KFP or KFP2? And Cars and Cars 2. Right?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 3rd, 2011, 12:11 pm

They are two completely different movies, why in the world would you compare them

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 3rd, 2011, 12:11 pm

Which do you guys think is better, The Little Mermaid or Top Gun???

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2011, 1:53 pm

Little Mermaid.

BUT...Beauty And The Beast, or Back To The Future?

HA! Got'cha there, don't I chum? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » May 6th, 2011, 8:56 pm

If at first you do succeed, keep trying until you don't. That has been DreamWorks philosophy for ages.

The thing about DreamWorks is that they have made good animated movies simply because they got quantity. A studio that produces dozens and dozens of animated feature films ought to make at least one or two really good ones. It's a mathematical certainty but it doesn't make the studio good. And Kung Fu Panda 2 is probably not going to be particularly good.

So I'll go with Cars 2.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 6th, 2011, 11:15 pm

So..."Kung Fu Panda" and "Dragon" were only good movies because of...math?

Oh-kay.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Re: Kung Fu Panda 2 VS. Cars 2 (A Fight to The Death)

Post by GeorgeC » May 7th, 2011, 4:06 am

It's Dusty principle, Dacey.

You cannot reason with it...!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » May 7th, 2011, 12:32 pm

estefan wrote:Wait, why are we discussing which is the superior of two films that haven't even opened yet?
It's that aspect of the movie fan--Rock 'Em-Sock 'Em Robots:
A movie can not be successful or liked by itself, it has to win a punchout battle either with another box office movie that week, or another hit before it, before it can claim the title of Best Stuff Ever.
(Just wander onto any fan discussion board this weekend to see the first rounds of the "Will Thor Beat Fast & the Furious, And Why Do We Care?" battles.)

If you want to go into psychological analyses of why this condition exists, that's a whole long thread by itself--
You could say that it was a mass hypnosis of the movie-fan public over the last thirty years that box-office reporting existed, but then, kids of every generation have wondered whether Flash Gordon could beat Tarzan...