Kung Fu Panda

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 1st, 2009, 10:32 am

CGIFanatic wrote:...never has anyone suggested anything untoward about those wins but now that KFP has won one of these things out come the ballot box stuffing conspiracies. I think it is wrong for people to suggest this ridiculous claim because if we do then that puts into question Pixar's past Annie victories...
First of all I did not accuse any one of ballot stuffing. I was explaining the weird voting rules of the Annies as I was asked to with an example.

Second, just because YOU have never heard about any of these complaints doesn't mean people haven't been discussing the oddness of the Annie award voting before now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 1st, 2009, 12:12 pm

Actually, I think in many of the technical categories, both Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E were toss-ups for the win. I actually liked the character designs in KFP more than in Wall-E for example. It also had many more major characters. Wall-E wasn't even nominated for some of the same categories KFP was (a lack of a writing nomination, for example, was a big indicator KFP could win).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » February 1st, 2009, 1:24 pm

James, I didn’t accuse anyone of anything but I said what I said because of this quote.
But c'mon CGI! You don't think it at all odd that a film that many thought would get a best picture nomination and tied Beauty and the Beast for the most Oscar nominations ever lost the premier animation award and every other category as well to a film that has won no major awards? Not strange at all?
As to past complaints about Annie award voting, I’ll admit to having never heard of this complaint.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 1st, 2009, 4:22 pm

Hey, if they'll give me an Annie something must be wrong!

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2009, 5:29 pm

Hey, <I>I</I> won that award too!

But, seriously...as we showed in our Best Of 2008, it was a very tough choice bwteen WALL-E and KFP this year. In many ways I must agree with the Annies - whose members have clearly voted for the more "entertaining" film as opposed to the "worthy" one - WALL-E is an extremely fantastic, well-crafted, original and incredible piece of filmmaking, CG or otherwise in this day and age...but then he reaches the ship and though it's still amazingly entertaining, the sense of, yes, awesomeness, shrinks away a little and the film becomes a fairly routine story, where the ending is never in any doubt. I remember even James thinking this was amazing, but also adding that he had a few caveats himself.

On the other hand, when one conjures up the kinds of films DreamWorks usually makes, not only did KFP astound as to being something new and totally different for them, but it was absurdly entertaining and extremely well-crafted in its own way. Not that I would suggest a Pixar backlash or any kind of vote rigging, but I suspect that, on this occasion, the voters decided Pixar's work was yet another dead cert home run and actually went with the more surprising vote. If KFP had come from Pixar, who would have been surprised? It coming from DWs, as it did, was a major showing that the company can make films that divert away from the lowest common denominator aspirations we usually have to sit through and reach the kind of level that, well, that can win these kinds of awards.

Lastly, the suggestion that WALL-E might be in with a shot of Best Picture is the kind of media-fueled rumor that gets us in a tizzy like this. The film got a lot of decent notices, yes, but again that's par for the course when it comes to Pixar's movies. <I>I am in no way suggesting a Pixar backlash</I>, and ultimately would probably peg my colors to WALL-E in the event of my having to vote, but I have been saying for months that I never accepted that it had a chance at Best Pic. WALL-E does not have that Beauty And The Beast factor...it doesn't, at the end of the day, have that emotional heart. I don't think KFP does either, but it's not as schizophrenic as WALL-E, which is a film of two halves, and only strives to entertain with a simple but well rendered story and characters that draw on the whole Chinese Olympic vibe of the year.

That WALL-E would be up for Best Pic is one many of those stories that keep coming back year on year. I think each year since the BAF category began (and which will likely never be broken, unfortunately) there has been talk of one film being "the one" or a "possibly" entry that could break out and feature in the Best Pic race (further confirmation that AMPAS views the BAF as something to "break out" from, the very reason no film ever will). Shrek, Shrek 2, Nemo, now WALL-E...this isn't the first time the subject has been raised, and it's almost never by the originating Studio, whom I would suspect would be reluctant to try and promote themselves in that light and then end up excluded from the BAF entirely.

So, yes, WALL-E got good notices, which led to talk of Oscar. KFP got just as good reviews, if not as widely acclaimed, but the judgment has always been history and even though we are only talking a few months, it's the perspective that eventually means the most. Even The Dark Knight, which last summer no-one would say a negative word about as they stood back in awe at the money it was making, is getting some more realistic views on the disc release. And so it is with these two films: which one, perhaps most importantly, has the repeatability factor? That's obviously a question of taste, and while mine might well be a choice to watch WALL-E again right now over KFP (by however a slight margin that may be), the masses have obviously made their point.

On Oscar night, each one is as worthy as each other to take the prize. Bolt's entry is a nod to a revitalized Disney Studios, it would seem, but won't win. Whether it is WALL-E or KFP taking home the award will simply be down to either which the voters saw most recently, which they remembered the most, and whether in their state of mind they are going to go for the one that most entertained, or the one that seems the more obvious "Oscar choice".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » February 1st, 2009, 5:31 pm

I'm certain that you deserve it.

:wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2009, 6:27 pm

Why do I find that wink so disconcerting? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » February 1st, 2009, 6:40 pm

Ben,

I meant absolutely nothing at all by it... Since James used the wink Emoticon I thought to do the same...

Btw, I agree with everything you said and believe that anyone who receives any kind of award deserves it.

PS: I rarely use Emoticons so I better not use them if they are going to be taken the wrong way. This is my last one (:oops:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 2nd, 2009, 12:07 pm

I think the fact that people were discussing Wall-E's chances of being in the BP category come Oscar time is actually more of a reflection on the discontent of live action movies that came out last year. I believe this was a much weaker year for Hollywood than 2007 or even 2006. Many people have made the point that when Beauty & the Beast made it for 1992, that had been a weak year for films in general - the argument being that it made it easier for that film to get nominated. Of course it's also different now because of the Animation category.

But now I'm getting off topic. This is about Kung Fu Panda which was a great film. I agree with Ben. Many of us went into the movie wondering what Dreamworks was up to now and we were blown away by the story. I find very little fault in that movie which makes it great in my book.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2009, 3:26 pm

CGI...no worries on the wink! I meant it in a humorous way, my suggesting that your comment came with a hint of sarcasm (actually perfectly legit given the circumstances).

Please feel free to continue to use emoticons whenever and wherever! :)

Rodney makes a good point too: I know in trying to come up with a live-action pick for our Best Of that I was stumped by the lack of truly classic movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » February 2nd, 2009, 6:09 pm

CGIFanatic wrote:Btw, I agree with everything you said and believe that anyone who receives any kind of award deserves it.
Except for when we received that little ribbon in 3rd grade for "participation"...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2009, 8:42 pm

Hey! 3rd is 3rd! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 24th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Hey, heads up guys - I just found out while browsing my TV guide to see what was on in the days ahead and apparently NBC is airing "Secrets of the Furious Five" this Thursday (2/26) at 8:00pm! I'm kind of surprised I didn't hear about it sooner, given I watch the channel at least once a day. More surprising is why it's airing on NBC instead of ABC, but whatever.

Well, very cool for those who didn't go the double DVD pack route, or opted out for the Blu. Finally I get see it and for free - the way it should have been, but we've been down that road before. Yay!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2009, 7:54 pm

:roll:

Not at you Dan, but for those who keep getting duped by DWs grabby marketing...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 24th, 2009, 7:55 pm

Haha. ;)