Kung Fu Panda

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 10th, 2008, 2:51 pm

This is going to be such a huge hit for DreamWorks. They've been marketing it like everywhere.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » April 21st, 2008, 4:25 pm

The following site has two new still images from the movie.

leofrancisco.blogspot.com/2008/04/dreamworks-libera-novas-imagens-de-kung.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » April 21st, 2008, 11:03 pm

I don't know for sure but that May 15th in theatres date mentioned in the front page is incorrect. I know the movie will be shown at the Cannes festival on that date but the movie officially comes out on June 6th here in the US.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 22nd, 2008, 7:06 am

Alrighty, will change that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » April 22nd, 2008, 9:23 pm

Thanks Meg

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 23rd, 2008, 1:10 pm

Beautiful stills! I really like the look on the second one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » April 27th, 2008, 4:26 pm

I agree Daniel, that second still is quite beautiful.

Here are some links with information about the different characters with interviews and background information about the movie. Please note I'm note sure if the information will be considered by some as spoiler information so enter with caution.

movie-openings.blogspot.com/2008/04/kung-fu-panda-five-fighting-warriors.html
movie-openings.blogspot.com/2008/04/kung-fu-panda-beauty-and-sheer-power-of.html
movie-openings.blogspot.com/2008/04/shifu-is-actually-most-emotionally.html
movie-openings.blogspot.com/2008/04/who-wants-to-be-kung-fu-panda.html
movie-openings.blogspot.com/2008/04/journey-to-make-hoped-for-timeless.html

Note. There is more information available on the blog but I found these to be the most informative.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 5th, 2008, 10:49 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2008, 12:11 pm

"Madagascar 2, maybe even better then the original since the penguins seem to play a much bigger role"

:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dissapointed » May 5th, 2008, 3:11 pm

Why is it that every DreamWorks movie is met with disdain or ridicule?

I understand Disney is the biggest player in the animated field but to pick on a new player that's been around as a standalone company for barely four years seems a little harsh to me. I think it would be unfair if this was done to Disney when it was a young company and feel it’s unfair to see the harsh treatment leveled against DreamWorks Animation. The company gets ridiculed when it doesn't quite achieve all it can be and when it does it is still knocked around.

I remember hearing Lasseter once say that it was a good thing for more companies to work on animated movies but it seems to me that Disney/Pixar disciples seem intent on not following Lasseter very own words.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2008, 3:16 pm

I loved Bee Movie.

And Kung Fu Panda looks awesome!

But I wish DreamWorks were not so fragile that they have to keep relying on tried and tired sequels and franchises. Enough with Shrek! And Madagascar really didn't need a follow-up. These are being made for the money and very little else. My rolling eyes above were meant for the additional penguins...who didn't see that coming? Not only is the movie being made specifically for the returns it will generate, but any question of "art" is being thrown out the window in order to shoe-horn the audience favorites into the new film, and predictably to a greater extent.

Could by hysterical, but as for now, my feelings on Madagascar 2 are blah. But I've never had a continuous bad thing to say against DreamWorks, who have made some absolutely terrific animated films.

Welcome to our boards! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dissapointed » May 5th, 2008, 3:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome Ben...

Enough with Shrek! And Madagascar really didn't need a follow-up. These are being made for the money and very little else.

You can't be serious with that statement - I think all studios are in it for the money and it is with that money that we animators (present and future) will get to live out our dream and hopefully to pursue the gaining of a livelihood. You don't think Disney/Pixar is making “Toy Story 3” and “Cars 2” for the money?

but any question of "art" is being thrown out the window

You think Disney's use of Mickey Mouse through the years was for the art?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 5th, 2008, 5:05 pm

I honestly don't mind sequels at all, as long as they're as good, if not better than the originals. I can't say I feel that way towards the Shrek additions, although I really enjoyed the first installment. Besides, if making a sequel once in a while means there's a higher chance of seeing something original and unique get created, then I'm all for it!

As a side note, the positive buzz surrounding Kung Fu Panda has me very excited to see what DW has done with the project. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 5th, 2008, 11:25 pm

I think all studios are in it for the money and it is with that money that we animators (present and future) will get to live out our dream and hopefully to pursue the gaining of a livelihood. You don't think Disney/Pixar is making “Toy Story 3” and “Cars 2” for the money?
True, true. However there are some studios that tend to put money first, before anything else. They don't care so much about creating art, as they do about making a profit from it. And If that means sticking to a formula that they already know people like (as opposed to branching out and trying different things), than that's what they'll do. Trying new things can be a gamble, and it's a risk that many studios aren't willing to take.

That's the problem that most people seem to have with Dreamworks. As Ben said, they're used to "playing it safe" (the Shrek sequels, comedies with talking animals, etc..).

I'm not a huge Dreamworks fan, but I am looking forward to Kung Fu Panda. Hopefully, if this one does well, they'll be willing to take even bigger risks in the future!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » May 6th, 2008, 1:03 am

Here is the second TV spot that will be appearing here in the US.

www.traileraddict.com/trailer/kung-fu-panda/tv-spot-2