Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by veu » April 10th, 2007, 12:06 pm

I read on IMDB that GARY TROUSDALE and KIRK WISE will co-direct the movie with GLEN KEANE!

Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise directed "Beauty and the Beast", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and "Atlantis - The Lost Empire"...

I know that IMDB isn't too reliable, but I post this news!

Anyone knows something more?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 10th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Very interesting. This follows what we have heard rumored so far. All three are pals, so if additional directors <I>were</I> suggested upon Glen, I'm glad it's folks he's worked closely with in the past and will be able to continue working alongside.

After a spell at DreamWorks, it's nice to see Wise back at Disney, especially since these three guys are the ones that created the Beauty And The Beast magic.

Let's hope lightning and bottles have something to do with striking each other again... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 10th, 2007, 1:33 pm

After a spell at DreamWorks, it's nice to see Wise back at Disney,
I thought it was Trousdale, didn't he direct "A Christmas Caper"? Was Kirk Wise at DW too?

As for the news about the directors.....wow. :shock: That's all I can say. Well, I wish'em luck and hope it works out.

One thing though: I thought Disney and Pixar were trying to get away from that whole "three/four directors on one film" thing that other studios sometimes do? :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cboy666 » April 30th, 2007, 4:56 pm

I saw on wikipedia that it has both Rupunzel and frog princess scheduled for 2009. I know wikipedia isn't really a reliable sorce for this, but I was just wondering, does anybody think that both of them will be released in 2009. I don't think it would be a bad idea. I mean, just in case Frog Princess bombs, then at least there's Rupunzel. Plus pixar might not want anything up against Toy Story 3
"In the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't. You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair... but that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 30th, 2007, 7:44 pm

I saw on wikipedia that it has both Rupunzel and frog princess scheduled for 2009. I know wikipedia isn't really a reliable sorce for this, but I was just wondering, does anybody think that both of them will be released in 2009. I don't think it would be a bad idea. I mean, just in case Frog Princess bombs, then at least there's Rupunzel. Plus pixar might not want anything up against Toy Story 3

Very interesting--thanks for the info cboy666!! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 1st, 2007, 7:28 am

Rapunzel is likely to be pushed back, with Frog Princess the big release. Or it could come out spring, leaving Princess for the fall slot.

Toy Story 3 is set for 2010.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2007, 2:26 pm

Rupunzal in the spring?? Like, say, I don't know, March/April? :roll:

Oh yeah, what a great time to release a film. You can see the wonders it worked for Meet the Robinsons and Home on the Range....:?
:roll:

(I consider MTR successful, but it took a long time and it would have benefited much more from a summer or Christmas release...:()

I just hope they're not "quietly" trying to bury this film due to "tensions" that are going on..:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 1st, 2007, 3:53 pm

(I consider MTR successful, but it took a long time and it would have benefited much more from a summer or Christmas release...)
It also would have benifited from a GOOD marketing campaign.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2007, 6:00 pm

Exactly, and what's more John and Ed did very little to promote it--just let it breeze through, but didn't get behind it the way they're doing with all this Ratatouille hype.

One can say: "Oh, it was Disney Marketing's responsibility, etc...." No, it's their responsibility. As of January 2006 they were the heads of Walt Disney Feature Animation. They had almost 18 months to promote the heck out of Meet the Robinsons, and yet they did almost nothing. Meanwhile we've been getting Ratatouille promo after Ratatouille promo since Cars came out last summer....:?

I know it seems like I bash Lassetter/Jobs/Catmull a lot, but I'm not trying to do that. I'm a WDFA fan, a Disney fan, who wants to see them succeed, and have someone strong supporting them.
Lassetter is very much a showman who knows how to promote stuff in his sleep. So where was he for MTR??

I don't think I'm "reaching" with my statements....but I hope I didn't offend anyone either. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 1st, 2007, 9:06 pm

It's not just Disney animation that's been getting jipped of good marketing though - I've seen next to nothing for POTC 3.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2007, 10:32 pm

Maybe...but, then, why have we seen SO much Ratatouille stuff? :?:

POTC opens May 25 right? I think there will be a ton of stuff in the next few weeks.

Still, it is a bit odd. :?

MTR got shafted. Plain and simple. At least I think so.

When it was released, I mentioned the film to five people and only one knew what I was talking about.

Oh, and, he works in a movie theater. 'nuff said. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 2nd, 2007, 4:50 am

Pirates has been lurking around.

Look for them to go ape two weeks before. Pirates 2 was SO big all they need to say is "look, Pirates 3...NOW!" and people are there.

They just don't need to "sell" this one as much - people know it is coming and they'll wait until the last minute to say "okay, go!"

I agree Robinsons had a less than inspired campaign. But then a March opening was never doing anyone any favors. Despite the fact it was in production before Lasseter arrived, it <I>does</I> carry his name as Executive Producer. Based on the way it performed, I would say Disney overpaid.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 2nd, 2007, 5:05 am

leaving Princess for the fall slot.

By fall--Ben, do you mean September/October...or Thanksgiving/Christmas season.... :?:

WDFA for the off-seasons and Pixar for the Summers and holidays? How exactly are they going to "share" holidays, who's going to get which opening dates? This is a very important issue...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 2nd, 2007, 5:45 am

Release dates will change depending on the films. All my comments above is conjecture...I have no way of knowing what they're thinking.

But with Toy Story 3 in 2010, we have Rapunzel and Frog Princess for 2009.

Frankly, I don't think Rapunzel will be ready, which means it could get pushed back. If not, then we have two princess movies coming out months apart.

One would be spring/summer, like Robinsons or Rataouille this year, the other would be fall, but yes, leaning towards Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Remember, animated opening in summer is still quite a new thing, so for traditional Disney to open at Christmas would be just as it's always been. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 2nd, 2007, 8:13 pm

Frankly, I don't think Rapunzel will be ready

What about Frog Princess? Don't they have to re-do the whole plot now that it's in New Orleans? (I guess it's been going on earlier than when we first heard, of course.)

Also American Dog: How can it come out next year when it's being completely re-done as Buzz Lightyear 2.0?

so for traditional Disney to open at Christmas would be just as it's always been. Smile

Sweet....I've really missed this..... :cry:

:wink: