Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » March 12th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Foxtale wrote:I hope, as you stated eddie, there aren't people who feel so strongly about the name change that they won't give the movie a fair chance. :( That would be quite unfortunate.
It does look good, but the fanboy issue is more "What do we teach them by liking it anyway?"
That we like Disney princess movies better when they hide?--Where does that leave the Snow Queen?

As raging as the fans are (and nobody in the in-house industry seems to like the title either), it's still All About Principle, which means we don't want a good movie to go bad, but we don't want anyone to "get off scot-free" either.
Some of us just want this to be a success for them but a very hard-won victory, and persuade them how much easier it could have gone by taking the time to show a little perspective.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 13th, 2010, 2:38 am

A very valid point Eric.

On a similar note, I hope that Disney gives the Snow Queen another chance one day. It sounds like such a fun challenge.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 13th, 2010, 11:14 am

I'm sure they will. As I understand it, the reason they cancelled Snow Queen is because they weren't sure about doing three fairy tales in a row. Give it a few years. After they've done some other non-fairy tale films, Snow Queen will likely be resurrected then. After all, it would be a shame to spend time and money on development if the film is never going to be made.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 17th, 2010, 7:05 pm

So I got super excited because they have a 'preview' on the Princess and the Frog DVD.. but it's the one from online with just the picture of the tower and the words. :( One day soon though ;)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tangled (Formerly Rapunzel)

Post by Bill1978 » May 1st, 2010, 3:05 am

Crusing around on Wikipedia I landed on the Tangled page and found this snippet of info regarding music:

Alone in a Tower - Mandy Moore (Rapunzel)
My Childhood - Mandy Moore (Rapunzel)
Escape and be Free - (Flynn Ryder and Rapunzel)
Her Long Hair - (Flynn Ryder)
Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Miley Cyrus
The Secret of Tower - Various Artist

I imagine it will disappear soon as it has no references. Anyone know where this information may have come from or how accurate it is. That Miley song better not be on the soundtrack and is only there due to the trailer and the person hopes it is on the soundtrack.

The song titles don't jump out at me and scream 'we are songs from a broadway musical' like I'm hoping the songs are. I really prefer my musical songs to have mutliple singing parts and not just one person singing. So I hope there are some more songs to come or this is what I think it is someone's wishful thinking.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 1st, 2010, 11:41 am

It's been confirmed that Rapangled's songs will be the 1950s/60s feel that Menken brought to Little Shop, Weird Romance, Hercules and Sister Act, Bill. :)

I would imagine The Secret Of The Tower is a cast song (hence the various artists, possibly a "Greek chorus" as Menken used in Little Shop and Hercules), and that Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is a Miley cover that will probably end up on the end credits.

Five songs sound about right for a Disney/Menken musical, plus one for the credits, and given the jokey tone the film reputedly has, it's possible that there isn't the room for sidekicks to take on "the funny song" since the leads are supposedly already quirky. And given the film has been through rewrites and many changes, it could well be that further song sequences have been cut or changed, leaving the film as a quasi-musical/comedy which isn't one thing and ultimately isn't the other either.

But we shall see, when she lets her hair down in the fall... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 1st, 2010, 6:57 pm

I hope you are wrong about the Miley track being used as an end credit song Ben. From a marketing point of view I kinda get it, but really when your main character is voiced by an actor who had/has a pop career why not use her and modify one of her songs into an end credit song like they use to do when their films were as big as Pixars?

I do have faith in Menken's ability to write some great songs and I'm not concerned in the least about the style they have chosen, I have just noticed that since the death of Ashman, the lyrics to his songs haven't had the same Broadway feel to them, the closest he gets is when he works with Schwartz.

But anyway not point getting worried when there has been nothing released but a teaser. The Disney Facebook promised stuff was coming but still nothing after a month.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 2nd, 2010, 8:33 am

Of course I could be wrong and "Girls" could end up featuring anywhere, but Mandy Moore is obviously being used here as an "actress" rather than a "singer", and having someone else perform the end credit song would mark the difference out in the lyrics of "Girls" that the song is about Rapunzel rather than being sung by her.

Going by that explanation, having the different voice would make it clear it wasn't Rapunzel singing and, in all likelihood, give the song more of a chance of being a hit for Disney, to whom Miley is signed, of course.

Having different voices sing the songs at the end of a movie isn't anything new...the cast of Enchanted didn't sing Happy Ever After, after all, and that was a quasi-pop/still part of the musical kind of song. Then again we have had deleted songs (Hunchback's Someday, or Pocahontas' If I Never Knew You) re-inserted back into the films by way of pop treatments on those tracks, which begs the bigger question: if the choice was to use a radio friendly, audience attracting song by Miley Cyrus for the end credits, why didn't they get Menken to pen one, or use something that might have been written and then unused in the film, like Hercules, which used a different song to Go The Distance on its international release.

My guess is that "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" is going to be the underlying marketing tag for what will be sold as an animated romcom. We will hear it on all the TV spots, a final trailer, on the radio, as a single, etc, and eventually in the end of the film itself as the credits pop song. Although I'd have preferred a Menken original, again I can see how they're trying to position this, and not only does the song say what they need the marketing to suggest, but it's an instantly recognisable track, which will do two additional things: appeal to the women (now probably mothers) who danced to Cindi Lauper in the 1980s, thus dragging their families to the movie, and appeal to Disney's Miley followers, who will buy the single, download the video (with animated clips in it, natch) and go see the movie too (hopefully, as Disney is hoping with the name change, dragging their bfs too).

So, when you think about it, that all kind of makes sense. Now you just watch that list of songs be declared phony, and my extensive reasoning go to pot! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 2nd, 2010, 8:57 pm

Hopefully your great explanation wasn't in vane Ben

Alone in a Tower - Mandy Moore (Rapunzel)
My Childhood - Mandy Moore (Rapunzel)
Escape and be Free - (Flynn Ryder and Rapunzel)
Her Long Hair - (Flynn Ryder)
The Secret of Tower - Various Artist
" My Forever"-[{Flynn Ryder and later Mother Grothel}]

Just checked the wiki page again and it seems the non-referenced section has been upgraded again with Girls being removed and a new song added called My Forever which appears to have a reprise as well.

Your well thought out idea on the use of Girls was spot on Ben and I do understand the approach if they go that way (and hopefully can leave off the album or included as a bonus track on iTunes). My main issue with if they use the song as an end creit song why does it have to be a cover, why not get Miley to sing a re-worked version of one of the songs written specifically for the movie. Or you know get Miley and Justin Bieber to record what looks like the love duet between Rapunzel & Flynn LOL

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Prince Kido » May 3rd, 2010, 3:32 am

Stop believing what is written on Wiki, this list is all FAKE, trust me! ;)
[url=http://davidgilson.blogspot.com/][img]http://davidgilson.free.fr/petitpoulet/banblog2.jpg[/img][/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 3rd, 2010, 6:22 am

Oh trust me, I was taking that information with a grain of salt, especially since it was unreferenced. I just posted the 2 song lists to see if anybody else had stumbled across the information to see if there was any truth to it. I mean the song titles are fairly stereotypical for a Rapunzel story. I'll admit though the list did give me hope that maybe we would be hearing something soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » May 13th, 2010, 6:08 pm

We have been having debates about the music, but the LAST OFFICIAL things we have heard about the music were that Alan Menken was doing 60's rock (apparently more folksy like Simon and Garfunkel, kind of fits that old medieval feel) and a song that goes "you are my forever" that Mother Gothel sings to Rapunzel but later the Prince sings to Rapunzel with a new romantic meaning.

Apparently, somewhere, somehow, this picture is of Floyd Norman standing by a cut-out version of the clip-art (usually used in merchandising) version of Rapunzel.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 13th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Ohhh cute! I love the clipart from movies :D

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » May 14th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Which movie this summer might show the full trailer?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » May 14th, 2010, 7:28 pm

It's been revealed that the trailer will premiere with Toy Story 3.