Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tangled (Formerly Rapunzel)

Post by DisneyPictures » November 11th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Hey guys, I work on behalf of Disney and it's great to see that you guys are excited about our film. As fans of the film, I thought you might enjoy this new clip called "Grounded for Life. Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks.

"Grounded for Life": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1pPsji ... re=related

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » November 11th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Hey there! We(me and my sis) are very excited for Tangled! looks great so far!
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DisneyPictures » November 12th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Did you check out the video above? If so, what did you think?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 12th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Now that Disney's gotten the viral-Tube bug, we don't mind the barrage of semi-related non-clips (like all the TS3 clips), just so long as they all end up on the Blu-ray! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » November 15th, 2010, 1:52 pm

DisneyPictures, that is a great, clever clip, but I think most of us were hoping for a more classic approach to this animated film, including wishing it was still called Rapunzel, that would make us want to see it more.

But that is still a very clever, and very funny, clip, it's just so modern compared to the Rapunzel story. If only the marketing and title told us Disney was making classics again.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 15th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Some of you may like what Jerry Beck has to say at Cartoon Brew. He thought Tangled was TOO old school (or at least too 1990s) Disney.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Post by Dacey » November 15th, 2010, 5:54 pm

DisneyPictures, that is a great, clever clip, but I think most of us were hoping for a more classic approach to this animated film, including wishing it was still called Rapunzel, that would make us want to see it more.
I'm really starting to wish that I had a dollar for everytime you've said something like that, Dust.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by DisneyPictures » November 15th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Dusterian wrote:DisneyPictures, that is a great, clever clip, but I think most of us were hoping for a more classic approach to this animated film, including wishing it was still called Rapunzel, that would make us want to see it more.
Hey, here's an explanation from the Directors on why they changed the title of the film:

http://filmreviewonline.com/2010/11/01/ ... -rapunzel/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by EricJ » November 15th, 2010, 8:28 pm

DisneyPictures wrote:Hey, here's an explanation from the Directors on why they changed the title of the film:

http://filmreviewonline.com/2010/11/01/ ... -rapunzel/
Oh, so had nothing to do with blind panic, and superstitious (and offensively condescending) volcano-god studio paranoia about "Boys hate princess stuff! :( ", after the studio was baffled why Princess&Frog didn't do better at the box office, just because they'd released it ONE FRIGGIN' WEEK BEFORE AVATAR!!!, then?

...Whew. That's a relief. :roll:

(And yeah, everybody else, I know we know this stuff already, just had to make sure the new poster was in on it. ;)
And if you are working for Disney, new poster, please, just tell us: Frog goes up against Avatar, Tangled and Pooh both go up against Harry Potter 7, Muppets go up against Tintin...What the heck is going on over there??)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 15th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Uhhh are you trying to imply that the Muppets will for some reason not do well against Tintin because I can't even fathom a world where that is possible.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 16th, 2010, 1:51 am

...From what I hear, Lady Gaga isn't doing a cameo in "Tintin".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 16th, 2010, 2:15 am

Lady Gaga is immensely talented and popular so I dunno what your point is

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 16th, 2010, 2:22 am

Don't forget US people, that the soundtrack came out today for you guys and gals.

I got a lovely surprise today when my Art Of Tangled book turned up. It left Amazon a week after Megamind soundtrack was dispatched but it turned up before the CD. The book is (as usual) gorgeous to look through. I haven't read anything in full detail. But all the main characters get a good overview including the King and Queen. Plus we get a look at some early concept drawings of what Flynn could have looked like - more burly and quarterback looking. And there is even one piece of concept art where Flynn is labelled Bastion. So far I like it and I'm sure it will tide me over until I get the soundtrack next week and the wait for Jan 7

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tristy » November 16th, 2010, 2:08 pm

For those who are anxious to hear the soundtrack, here are the tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptainLadyAce

My favorites are both versions of "Mother Knows Best" "When Will My Life Begin Reprise #2" and "I've Got a Dream" (mainly for Brad Garrett singing)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Tangled

Post by Dusterian » November 16th, 2010, 4:30 pm

DisneyPictures, thank you very much for that link about why the directors changed the title.

But the reason they gave doesn't make sense when looking at other Disney movies. Disney's Sleeping Beauty had more focus on the Prince and the fairies, but it still wasn't called "The Prince and the Fairies", it was called "Sleeping Beauty" because it was still supposed to be the fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty.

Also, in that article, the directors said, "What we really liked about it was it said in a very simple way that it doesn’t sound like what you’d expect from a Disney fairytale." That means they changed it from the old Disney fairy tale style, they changed it to make it unlike past Disney movies. To make it unlike Disney.

Why are they allowed to change Disney, to forget Walt's legacy, to turn Disney into something it's not, instead of make films like the company was built on?

Also, a while back, there was another article that revealed that the marketing department at Disney changed the title just because they thought The Princess and the Frog failed because it had the word "princess" in the title and they thought boys didn't want to see it. So they changed the title because they thought it would make more boys want to see this movie.

The Princess and the Frog didn't even fail! It did well critically and financially! But I would also say it would have done better if it was more like a classic Disney fairy tale instead of having a modern twist.

I like when they do original stories, but to change the classic stories seems bad.