Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » January 3rd, 2010, 12:04 am

Yay! Finally a new image. I can't wait until the teaser comes out. The art looks really wonderful. I love the art on the walls, too cute. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 3rd, 2010, 1:51 am

I had a thought the other night that by casting Mandy Moore as the voice of Rapunzel you instantly have someone who can sing the credits song or promotional single. Just hope that they choose a song that's actually within the film AND written by the movie's composer. That's probably the only real complaint I have with the songs from The Princess And The Frog.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » January 3rd, 2010, 2:55 am

Very pretty promotional shot, indeed! :]

I'm a sucker for colours, and I love how lush they are in this photo.

Could just be the lighting in this particular shot, but I also really appreciate how warm everything looks - I think that's what gives it that 'storybook-look'. :]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 3rd, 2010, 1:46 pm

According to some comments here (and in another thread) Rapunzel could be getting a name change (possibly due to the princess connotation and the fact that PATF didn't quite meet expectations).

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... h-hat.html

There's also a really long and interesting discussion about WDAS (from apparent insiders).
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 3rd, 2010, 3:19 pm

That's an excellent discussion of comments there. <I>Very</I> interesting when the artists can be truly anonymous. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » February 3rd, 2010, 3:48 pm

That's an informative blog, but the comments there are some of the most bitter, self-absorbed that I've seen anywhere (not counting Mr. Norman's)--even more than imdb and on par with AICN. The anti-Pixar and anti-Disney hate is shocking--neither of them are the KKK, yet you wouldn't be able to tell. Criticize a DreamWorks movie or priase a Disney or Pixar one, and you get labelled a "Pixie." It's puzzling, because the DreamWorks artists talented enough to have their own blogs and sites are very graceful, intelligent people. The anonymous commenters here seem to be suffering from a case of sour grapes, (maybe they're fans pretending to be animators?) seemingly unknowing that they are not speaking well for their studio, a studio with loads of other, very talented artists who work very hard on their films.

One could say that the anonymous commenters from the Disney studio are being bitter as well, but they at least acknowledge there are problems going on in their own workplaces.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 3rd, 2010, 4:05 pm

And yes, even I couldn't resist dropping a bit of the obvious "People, do you really think we LIKE Dreamworks movies??" bit of pro-P&tF boosterism (employees don't read us fan-forums, you know, and miss out on the good discussions), and, uh...sensed the hostility.
There's a genuine sense of audience "What hath Avatar wrought?" frustration about why we can't personally do more to buck up Disney about how much we did go see P&tF, and there's got to be some way we can get the message through before a lot of self-pitying handwringing nuts get too despondent for their own good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 4th, 2010, 1:14 pm

ShyViolet wrote:According to some comments here (and in another thread) Rapunzel could be getting a name change (possibly due to the princess connotation and the fact that PATF didn't quite meet expectations
Going by the same "insider" rumors, Disney's been staking experimental title URL-domain claims on "The Hidden Tower", "The Thief & the Tower", and "Tangled"--
Depending on whether they want to sell Rapun(shh!) as a straight fantasy, a wacky comedy, or whether they just want to stick with "The Character & the Noun" for luck.

(And I can recall the LAST time Nameless Fear of a previous unexplained "flop" made Disney try and sell the next relatively straight adventure as a wacky comedy to hedge their bets, and paid the price for it...Some of scarred survivors don't intend on seeing that tragic bit of history happen again.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 5th, 2010, 6:42 am

IF Rapunzel does get the name change I think I prefer The Hidden Tower the most, followed by Tangled and then a long distance later The Theif & The Tower.

Of course for The Hidden Tower to work, the story needs to focus on a hidden tower. Tangled seems way way too generic and actually sounds like some silly romcom title. The Theif & The Tower may work but it would make the movie seem to be more about the Theif than Rapunzel.

I think Rapunzel works well as if you look at most Disney animated movies, the main character's name or ideal is present in the title.

I've racked my brain all day EricJ and I cannot work out the 2 movies you have cryptically mentioned.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 5th, 2010, 6:56 am

I had assumed he was referring to Brother Bear and Home on the Range (the latter being renamed and re-tooled from the supposedly less-comedic Sweating Bullets) .. which more-or-less led to Eisner's decision to shutter the Orlando studio, and ultimately to 'scrap' drawn animated films at Disney. :idea:

But this is EricJ .. so, who knows..? :wink:

---------------

And -- IMO, the title should stay Rapunzel.

If Disney's marketing geniuses seriously feel they can't sell a film with that 'instantly-recognizable' title, perhaps Iger should shutter the marketing department. :evil:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 5th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Bill1978 wrote:Of course for The Hidden Tower to work, the story needs to focus on a hidden tower. Tangled seems way way too generic and actually sounds like some silly romcom title. The Theif & The Tower may work but it would make the movie seem to be more about the Theif than Rapunzel.
Disney's version of the story involves a more convoluted explanation of how Rapunzel ended up in the tower, so yes, there is a thief who's now getting more equal billing than he deserves--

"Tangled" is a little more of a giveaway: It wants to fall back on "Rapunzel Unbraided" as a "contemporary" title, but it also sounds an awful darn lot like "Enchanted".
And dollars to donuts, the reason we're getting an Enchanted sequel now (qv. other thread), is that the unexpected success of the first movie was seen as the one that "redeemed" princesses' image after Eisner--to prepare ye the way for Tiana--and now that they think they have to "redeem" the image again, they'll fall back on The One Trick That Worked. Again and again, if necessary.

Still, even for all the reviews that said P&tF might have been a bit too thin or not the 90's revival it cracked itself up to be, I don't recall ANYONE, critic or audience, saying it was the fault of Evil Outdated Princesses...Do you? Anybody? Somebody at the back??
Can someone give a road map as to the studio thinks how we all got on that direction of the conversation??
(Oh, wait, let me guess, "Not enough boys went to see it", or something?--Just help me out, I'm guessing, here! :? )
I've racked my brain all day EricJ and I cannot work out the 2 movies you have cryptically mentioned.
Was referring to the time Disney suddenly switched gears on "Treasure Planet"'s marketing away from cool shots of space and hoverboarding, to scenes of pratfalls, wacky aliens, and Martin Short doing spazzy low-rent Robin Williams imitations, just before release--

And why the sudden change of pitch? Well, y'see, they still hadn't fully explained why "Atlantis" had brought "disappointing returns" in theaters, put it together with Titan AE and Final Fantasy to demographically assume "the Audience must not like action animateds", and wanted to change the movie's image away from the "negative association"...
Yes, unfortunate choices can be made when studios are motivated by nameless fear and superstition instead of accepting mutual responsibility or understanding the audience, as history would agree. :([/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 7th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Out of them all, I think it's a shame that Disney would leave years of tradition for calling their fairytale movies by their real name and go with anything else at all.

And The Thief...? Yet another reminder of Richard Williams.

If they're hell bent on changing it I think Tangled is the better option...The Hidden Tower is just three steps backwards to the classic Disney memo of 1986 when "Basil Of Baker Street" became "The Great Mouse Detective" and someone suggested renaming the Studio's films to bland titles: "Seven Little Men Help A Girl" and "The Puppet That Wanted To Be Real" were two of the best! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Rapunzel

Post by Foxtale » February 9th, 2010, 2:11 pm

I didn't know they were thinking about a title change. I guess that goes to show that I have indeed been living under a rock... well not really. A title change at this stage in the game seems a little late, doesn't it? I mean they changed the Princess and the Frog from the Frog Princess but that was 2 years before it came out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Rapunzel

Post by ShyViolet » February 11th, 2010, 12:41 am

Some more brief but interesting info on WDAS:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... g-diz.html
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 11th, 2010, 8:00 am

"Dude, Where's My Comb?" :)