Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Re: Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Post by GeorgeC » March 4th, 2011, 11:35 am

Okay,

I got refrigerated M & M's.

Rand, Whippet -- (Toss) Here're your peanut butter M&M's.

Mac -- (Toss) Crispy's are here!

Shhhh!!!! in back!

Now, back to the show....!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Just as long as someone removes the red ones. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by Randall » March 4th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Macaluso wrote:Uhhh the correct answer is crispy M&Ms
Ah, you only say that because you haven't tried the peanut butter ones refrigerated yet.

But crispies are good, too. I can't argue that. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Dusterian » March 6th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Bill1978 wrote:I'm in the camp that thought I See The Light should be winning the Oscar BEFORE the ceremony. After seeing the 4 songs performed I really wanted it to win. It was easily the only song that when performed outside of the movie, still helped tell the story of some part of the film. It was very telling that I See The Light was the only nominee that didn't rely on random scenes from the movie to support the performance (I'll admit I'm hazy on Country Strong's presentation). All Mandy and Zach got were the pretty lanterns, which showed, for me anyway, that this was the best original song out of them all. That it really wasn't a song that could be swapped for any random movie.

We Belong Together is an enjoyable song, but it could play over the credits of ANY Pixar movie.
That's a really good way of putting it.

I decided to re-listen to both songs, just to check. Randy's had some good lyrics that I thought actually were thoughtful and neared emotion that struck. But then I listened to "I See the Light", and I got chills, which I didn't even expect. I mean, lyrics like "I'm where I meant to be" with music rising? The metaphor of "now that I see you", as in they finally see who each other is and how important they are to each other after being with each other not seeing it? I think the academy really was relying on how Toy Story 3 made them feel, coupled with its song, to give it the votes.

I mean, Randy Newman even said he was surprised he won, and that the other songs were better. Couldn't agree with you more, Randy. When the maker of the song admits that, you know something's up.
Last edited by Dusterian on March 7th, 2011, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Should I point out the obvious in Dusty's comments above? Or leave well alone? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 6th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Point them out, to see if we were on the same wavelength.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 8th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Yea, what is it?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 9th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Well, I can't say now, can I...since the post has been edited! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 9th, 2011, 11:31 pm

If that tells me that the mistakes were all that I fixed, then that's all I needed!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » April 18th, 2011, 7:27 pm

I just got the Tangled Blu-ray and was disappointed with the extras. There's three deleted scenes, a couple of alternate openings and two extended songs (not including the first reprise of "When Will My Life Begin" on the soundtrack), all of which are nice. But the only other real extra is a twelve minute "making of" featurette which might be the fluffiest behind-the-scenes piece I've seen. The bulk of it consists of Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi talking to the camera, mostly about topics only tangentially related to the making of Tangled.

We get a few brief glimpses of concept art, some brief statements from the directors, and an even briefer statement from Glen Keane. (In fact, the directors actually get to talk more when introducing the deleted material!) Alan Menken is nowhere to be seen and most of the behind the scenes material is shown at the end in a one minute montage. There's also a brief montage of technical goofs involving Rapunzel's hair. Moore and Levi tease us saying that Tangled took a long time to make, then merely state that Walt Disney had the idea to do Rapunzel way back when before changing the subject.

Also on the Blu-ray is a two minute tribute to Disney's 50 animated features so far and a handful of Tangled teasers, most of them spoofs on commercials or news segments. These teasers are actually funny, and a few of them have new stylized animation featuring Flynn Ryder. But there's no commentary, not even an audio one. I can only imagine how disappointed owners of the DVD must feel, who only get the two alternate openings and the 50 animated movies tribute.
Last edited by Vernadyn on April 18th, 2011, 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 18th, 2011, 7:32 pm

There's seriously no commentary? That's completely ridiculous. I can deal with the lack of other stuff, but not commentary is really dumb.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 19th, 2011, 5:40 pm

From a big-screen worthy 3D experience, to high-definition, regular DVD or even portable digital file, Disney’s Tangled Combo Pack offers multiple ways to enjoy this wonderful film. It’s just a shame that any decent in-depth extras got brushed out…
- front page blurb to our full BD combo pack review:

http://animatedviews.com/2011/tangled-3d-blu-ray-pack/

Yep, the total lack of any substantial extras is extremely disappointing - not even the internet featurettes have made the cut, as they did on Princess And The Frog's release. Something's up with this set, and as I say in the review, "one can’t help but wonder if a better release is waiting in the wings", unfortunately. For such an anticipated film, and one that proved a box-office hit, Tangled on disc sure is disappointing.

GeorgeC

Re:

Post by GeorgeC » April 23rd, 2011, 2:40 am

Macaluso wrote:There's seriously no commentary? That's completely ridiculous. I can deal with the lack of other stuff, but not commentary is really dumb.

Most films NEVER get as much as a commentary, period!

Historical fact --- whether we're talking the laserdisc, DVD, or BD era.
(BTW, I'm as upset as you and Ben are, Mac, at the recent Disney situations but I'm trying to be general in addressing my points...)

The lack of extras from Disney is appalling because people were expecting it considering how the previous film (F & P) was treated on home video but people are forgetting that for the past few years MOST of the studios -- including Disney -- have been cutting back on extras.
[Aside from the focus on extras... Have MANY of the newer films really been worthy of "early critical analysis" packages with tons of extras? When the average CG or action film looks and plays as bad as something made-for-TV does it really rate the 'prestige treatment' to begin with??????]
Disney did take a small bath on F & P (theatrically -- it made some money on home video even if it wasn't a huge hit) and were perhaps understandably somewhat less willing to take a splurge on extras for Tangled considering that they were also positioning it as a buy-to-own 3D film (not that the strategy is working for them as 3D is pretty much DOA for home theater all-around).
(I'm not even really buying Disney as pushing digital 3-D much any more at this point in time, either. It's real obvious to all but the blind that it hasn't taken off and the video gaming crowd who really should be caring about 3D the most is convinced it's the worst gimmick in over a decade...)

For my POV, I wish Disney hadn't bothered with the whole crummy-to-look-at 3-D business and HAD concentrated on giving respectable presentations for their last few classic film releases on BD but you know the people running most home video divisions use their brains to think with last in many cases -- at about the next-to-last hour before they actually start replicating discs for stores.

Hate to say it but expect this more and more as we approach the end of movie-buying on solid home format as we know it. I'd say we're at least a good decade away from that, but who knows what will happen??? Red Box and most other rental box units have pretty much done away with extras, PERIOD, and are renting mostly stripped down film-only DVDs as of the past few months.
(I've got a few ideas that probably wouldn't be that popular to put into print to be honest but I really think we're only in the shallows of a major restructuring for the entertainment biz at any rate... Yep, we haven't hit bottom yet! There are still quite a few more gangrenous limbs and organs to be amputated. The whole lobotmization really should have started from the top if there were any fairness to it but I think even those kooks aren't going to get out of this unscathed, either. IF the financial books ever became completely free and clear to the people who are major stockowners and NOT CEO's of some of these companies there would be some major bloodletting, possibly of the Sicilian kind -- that's if corporate officers hadn't bought government protection to begin with...!)
Those future streamed, download-to-own versions of films are NOT going to have the extras on them because of bandwidth costs and restrictions.

The people who want all the extras represent a small portion of the market as is, and that peaked well over a half decade ago. Home video is shrinking like it or not as movie-going and buying becomes more disposable--- once again. Whether the pendulum will shift into something more favorable for afficionados again in later years, I don't know.

We had a good thing going for a while with extras. Those of us that grew from LD into the DVD and later BD markets were impressed by how things developed. Of course, many of us (including yours truly) were annoyed when a lot of good stuff was thrown out for crummy music videos featuring the latest Disney Channel star of the month and documentaries revising history (once again!) as we knew it.
( <==What's new in the post-Star Wars world? The same people that argue for film preservation are the worst when it comes to re-editing their own films and LYING to the filmgoing public who made them billionaires in the first place!)
It's too bad how the good stuff (documentaries, deleted scenes, etc.) got thrown out in favor of "unrated" special editions and the latest 3-D junk.

If we get lucky, a small market may be maintained for the hardcore afficionado crowd and perhaps a revitalized Criterion or successor company will keep releasing the kinds of special editions that caught on with collectors in the late 1980s and 1990s... This is assuming that some sort of optical format remains viable (likely online-purchase-only as I suspect the last few electronics/video/music megachains will be out of the market by then) and compatible with tech well into the future. We probably WILL be paying premiums for that kind of prestige, again, like those of us who grew up with laser can remember!

Weird enough is that it's never been as cheap as it is now to be a Criterion fan considering the changes in 5-inch format. There's really no excuse for the Criterion crowd to NOT go ahead and go BD considering their BD's are priced the same as their DVD releases now!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 23rd, 2011, 10:26 am

This is an important point many of us forget. The fact is, the number of people who access all the extras may be relatively small. When given the choice between a stripped-down one-disc version, and a stuffed 2 or 3-disc set, many buyers will just stick with the movie version.

Heck, as much as I LOVE seeing all those extras, and knowing I can access them anytime, the fact is that these days I don't get to looking at the extras too much. A lot of films don't cry out for them, and I'll only check out the deleted scenes. Or, even with a great film, I just don't have the time to poor through hours of extra material. My favorites are the comprehensive documentaries, but given the choice between watching one, or watching another movie that's been waiting a long time for me to get to it, I'll likely pop in another film. Too many discs, too little time...

And at this stage of the game, a great number of worthy catalog films have already had their "deluxe" editions put out.

Having said all that, it would have still been nice to see Tangled get more. With 4 discs on the 3D set, there was lots of room for more stuff. Point of fact, I ALWAYS get the most loaded set available. I even imported the 4-disc set of 2012 from Target. Despite common sense, knowing that it may be a long time before I watch all that bonus material, I remain an easy mark for a loaded set.

I just understand why studios are getting chintzier. Market research probably shows that past a certain number of bullet points on the back of the case, people will buy the disc no matter how much more you pour onto it. Even if they lose a few sales here or there, they still seem themselves as ahead if they don't go overboard on the extras.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 23rd, 2011, 1:01 pm

The thing is, though...Disney already HAS a lot more Tangled material that's been made, the internet featurettes for a start, all of which were compiled on the P&TF discs.

And you can bet that a Tangled commentary has been recorded. It's just being held back for a stripped down later edition. :(