Brother Bear

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » August 24th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Finally saw BB2 and found it to be a respectable followup.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 29th, 2006, 5:17 pm

I enjoyed Brother Bear 2 as well. It has good animation, nice songs, and some great humor.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Brother Bear 2 - your reviews

Post by Phil » September 11th, 2006, 4:55 pm

I finally got my copy of Brother Bear 2 this weekend and watched it last night in a double feature with Brother Bear 1. I really like it; it's one of the better direct-to-video sequels.

The animation was near-feature quality, although still recognizable as direct-to-video in many places. The story, while unneccessary (like most sequels), was enjoyable. Haven't had a chance to catch either of the extras yet.

Several of the scenes, though, were reminiscent of scenes in other Disney movies. Not derivative or copied in a bad way (at least to me), but they felt familiar. The introduction of Nita started out like "Honor to Us All" from Mulan, but quickly shifted to Pocahontas when her father was introduced. Later, the raccoon attack reminded me very much of the baboon chase from Tarzan.

Has anyone else seen this movie? If so, what did you think?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » September 11th, 2006, 5:21 pm

I saw it the other day. I thought it was pretty good. Came close to being as good as the first one, however I enjoyed the first one more. I still love Rutt and Tuke. They are hilarious!

I think probably a 3 1/2-4 Stars for it from me. I agree with you on it being one of the better direct-to-video sequels. I am glad Toy Story 2 was DtV like they wanted it to be.

Definitley one I am going to buy though.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 12th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Yeah. "Brother Bear 2" was better than I was expecting. A little slow in some spots, a little too fast in others. And I didn't really like the ending (did Nita HAVE to--never mind). But pretty good overall.

Plus, for the most part, very nice animation. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 15th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Omg my first post!! :D anyway I bought the movie a few week ago and I love it. I really thought it was one of the better sequels, I actually had doubts because of some critics reviews. Also wow somebody else spotted what I did, the references to other Disney films (Mulan, Pochantas, and Tarzan). Also is the father of Nita the voice of Pochantas's dad? It sounded very simmilar. I really enjoyed the music as well it was a nice break from hearing Phil Collins again, though I do like him!

I thought the story was very original and I espicially like when Nita saved Koda (little bear) that one scene was great. All in all a great sequel I give it; 3 and a half stars out of 4.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2006, 9:28 pm

I've done a review for this that will be posted at somepoint.

Welcome to the boards, Daniel Jake!

The voices of Nita and Pocahontas' Dads are not the same voice actor, BUT Jim Cummings, who SANG for Pocahontas' Dad IS the voice of Nita's Dad in BB2.

So there is a connection, and I for one was distracted by it as the scenes also played out as repeat versions of those in Pocahontas, with the giving of the necklace/pendant and the "wishes of the dead Mom" vibe.

Anyway, welcome again! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » September 16th, 2006, 1:09 am

Even as a kid I could tell Powhatan's singing voice was not the same guy as his speaking voice. He did a better job filling in for Jeremy Irons in "Be Prepared."

This sounds like it's at least worth a borrow from the library.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 16th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Even as a kid I could tell Powhatan's singing voice was not the same guy as his speaking voice. He did a better job filling in for Jeremy Irons in "Be Prepared."
Oh wait, that wasn't Jermey Irons singing? I could have sworn that I heard on a documentary that it was.

I like your name Daniel Jake. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 16th, 2006, 7:31 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Oh wait, that wasn't Jermey Irons singing?
It was part Irons, part Cummings. I think Cummings' voice enters the song right after Scar says, "You won't get a sniff without me."

For the record, Cummings was also the voice of Scar in The Lion King II: Simba's Pride.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » September 17th, 2006, 3:11 am

Mickey wrote:It was part Irons, part Cummings. I think Cummings' voice enters the song right after Scar says, "You won't get a sniff without me."

For the record, Cummings was also the voice of Scar in The Lion King II: Simba's Pride.
Yes, I remember reading that Irons' voice crapped out during the recording, so they had to finish it with Cummings. Which you can kinda hear if you listen, but it's a much better match.

Didn't know the TLK2 bit, but it doesn't surprise me. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2006, 9:29 am

Cummings and Corey Burton are two of the best animation voices out there.

What's the "TLK2 bit" that doesn't surprise you? Did I miss something? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 17th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Ben wrote: Welcome to the boards, Daniel Jake!
The voices of Nita and Pocahontas' Dads are not the same voice actor, BUT Jim Cummings, who SANG for Pocahontas' Dad IS the voice of Nita's Dad in BB2. So there is a connection,
Anyway, welcome again! :)
Aww thanks for welcoming me :D. And yes I knew there had to be a connection! Thanks for the info. That Jim Cummings doesn't he ever take a break? In mostly ever Disney/cartoon film he always has a role or something.
ShyViolet wrote: I like your name Daniel Jake. :)
He he^^ thanks :) I like my name to! And I like your as well ^_^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 17th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Thanks! :wink:

Your avatar is cute too. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 18th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Wow. I keep learning new things around here.

Wait till I tell my folks that Cummings did some of Scar's singing. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."