Brother Bear

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 14th, 2006, 10:46 am

I was thinking...if they do put out a 2-disc F&TH SE, I'd LOVE to see the 90 minute TV special "Disney Animation: The Illusion Of Life" that played when the film came out and features extensive footage of the making of the film including Pearl Bailey in the vocal booth and Glen Keane discussing the animation of the bear sequence.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 14th, 2006, 1:06 pm

That'd be a good idea.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » February 22nd, 2006, 3:41 pm

I've now taken the shots down since they're on current DVD Sneak Peeks :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 23rd, 2006, 7:24 pm

I've seen the trailer.

The animation is great, though the storyline looks like it will mainly focus on romance between Kenai and his girlfriend.

And it's too bad that Joaquin Phoenix isn't returning. The new voice sounds like it will take some getting used to.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Well, finally caught the "new" L&TT trailer.

What a crock...they simply dubbed existing footage with new lines from Rutt and Tuke. No new animation here - just check out the background changes in the shot cuts to see that they simply picked the images they needed and had Rick and Dave simply record their new lines.

The lip sync is way off, like in Doogal where the original script has been changed. A shame, since they could have done something really funny, even with only a couple of new shots and references.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 28th, 2006, 7:04 pm

I've seen that new trailer as well.

It amused me, but yeah, it did seem kinda cheap.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » June 14th, 2006, 1:01 am

Brother Bear was a nice film. not over the top instant disney classic but a very nice film with a cute story. I'm going to get this one just for the fact that rutt and tuke are in it :D
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » July 17th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Brother Bear 2's website [HERE] has been updated with some music, downloads and a 'feel' for this new feature - clips are due to be added on the 20th.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 21st, 2006, 11:42 pm

Justin, do you know of a new date for when the clips will be available on the site? They didn't premiere on the 20th.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » July 23rd, 2006, 4:38 pm

Sorry I don't know.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » July 26th, 2006, 12:34 pm

now I do...four new music tracks are added to the site's various sections as well as the clips sections hosting 4 clips and a behind the scenes interview.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

MENUS

Post by JustinWilliams » August 23rd, 2006, 8:50 am

Image (c) Buena Vista Home Entertainment/Walt Disney Pictures
Image(c) Buena Vista Home Entertainment/Walt Disney Pictures

The DVD's feature about the music, which is such an important factor in this beautiful film, also includes the making-of aspect too - showing initial sketches and rough animation which was a nice suprise and how it was shaped by the music as well...

The main menu is beautifully animated against a cave wall and the bonus menu is also animated with the two main moose spying on two others from behind rocks! Very funny!
Last edited by JustinWilliams on August 23rd, 2006, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 23rd, 2006, 12:53 pm

As I said in another thread, I was quietly surprised by Brother Bear 2.

It's still in DTV territory, but the animation is on par with the original, except, in my opinion, on the final transformation scene at the end, which looked pretty ropey for what was supposed to be such a big moment.

Also, it all seemed a little rushed, and just playing the scenes longer (not by adding anything but just a little more time on everything) might have helped the epic tone they were going for and made the movie last longer.

At 73 minutes (one minute of which is made up by all the Disney logos featured at the beginning and the end!) I was also impressed by the running time...this time we actually got 65 minutes of on screen action instead of a late-50s mark and 10 minutes of credits. Again, slower pacing would have bolstered this out to maybe 75 or 77 minutes, but I guess they are under time constraints to ultimately fit a commercial 90 minute slot on the Disney channels.

The focus on music, at just over 8 minutes, was good too, and I thought the tone of the songs blended well with Collins' original tracks (though it was a shame he picked Tarzan II against this one to work on).

"Almost" a true sequel (it does, in fact, follow on from the first but also feels like a bit of a simple retread), Brother Bear is better that many will be expecting.

One thing, JW, I think your (c) notices should read Buena Vista Home Entertainment. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » August 23rd, 2006, 1:59 pm

Thanks Ben.

Ben, there are three definitions of the word sequel. One of them is a result or consequence. In BB2 I like how we see the results and consequences of one chief protagonist continue from the first film - there's a subtle message of we reap what we sow. It's more than a true sequel; A refreshing approach to sequels for Disney is a well-timed suggestion of Managerial enlightenment.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 23rd, 2006, 7:32 pm

Apart from the fact that even DTVs take 2-to-3 years to produce and this storyline would have been well into production even when Eisner was around.

We've yet to really see what Iger can sow...even the third Pirates is a hold over from the Eisner regime.

I think Iger's first real test will be Enchanted and of course how the re-vaped Meet The Robinsons plays.

I agree what you said about the BB2 consequences, it did dovetail nicely, even if it did ultimately feel like a retread.