Meet The Robinsons

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 15th, 2007, 9:56 am

No one wants to see it with me....
Damn...
I've had similar problems in the past, even with more "adult" films like Corpse Bride....I don't even bother asking (most) people I know about going to see animated films anymore, I know they're just going to say (politely of course :wink:) say no. :(

Unfortunately, animation is still very much seen as a "children's cartoon" thing in the eyes of many people out there....(Shame on them! :roll: :P J/K :wink:)

It's sad but true. :|

Since then I've just gone myself to animated films, for the most part anyway. I just don't care, I love animation, so I'll spend the money and enjoy myself. That's what I did with Flushed Away and Meet the Robinsons. :)

At least I didn't have to pay for Happy Feet or Ice Age 2....:) Not that they didn't have good qualities, but hey, it saved money! :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Joe » April 15th, 2007, 10:42 am

Hi. I'm new here, but I just wanted to let you all know that I was able to attend a special screening of Meet the Robinsons with Stephen Anderson yesterday. He seemed like a great guy, just as I've read.
Anyways, he said a couple of things which I couldn't remember hearing anywhere else..
that the Bowler Hat Guy's name was originally Mortimer Clinch, back when he was just a rival inventor who wanted to mess up Cornelius Robinson. (I think I vaguely remember hearing this story plot a few years ago, but I'm not sure I knew the name.) He also said what a pleasure it was to work with Danny Elfman, and how easy it was to procure his services. Annd the last real thing I can remember is kind of a spoiler, I guess.. so
the joke with Cornelius looking like Tom Selleck was actually in the picture BEFORE he was signed on to voice the part
Besides that, the whole experience was pretty cool. There were a whole bunch of kids asking him about the animation process. And they really seemed to enjoy the movie. As did the adults in the audience, I think.
I have to admit I'd seen it twice already, but I didn't want to pass up seeing Stephen Anderson and learning what I could from him. And for anyone who hasn't gotten to see it yet, I would highly recommend it. There are some scenes or phrasings or actions that are a little off, but the emotional scenes in the movie just seem to pull me in more each time I see it.
Sorry about the long message. I guess I had a lot on my mind :D Oh, and Bullwinkle, I don't know if this helps, but Anderson said he's not even sure how much it costs. He always knew a rough estimate, but he wasn't allowed to tell us anything about costs.

Ok, gone! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 15th, 2007, 11:02 am

Hiya Joe! :)

That was quite interesting! Thanks for posting it. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bullwinkle » April 15th, 2007, 11:42 am

thanks Joe

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 15th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Welcome to the forum Joe

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2007, 2:46 pm

Nutthin' wrong with long messages!

Welcome to our rowdy club! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 17th, 2007, 8:22 am

Neat-o interview with the Elfmeister!!! :)

(not sure how recent, I think from a few months ago....)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » April 17th, 2007, 11:14 am

I have always appreciated elfman and thought that some of his scores are genius.

But I have to say, my opinion of him went way up after seeing what he did for Robinsons... and the general class act that he was.

Do you all know that he took time during a break in the scoring session to go on the live video feed and thank us... US, the artists, for making the movie? He loved the movie, and he specifically loves animation.

Class all the way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 17th, 2007, 5:14 pm

Neat!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 17th, 2007, 11:36 pm

Aww, that was nice of him!

By the way, what did you think of the movie, Ben? That is, if nothing suddenly happened! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 18th, 2007, 11:57 am

Right, literally got back from my meeting with the Robinsons! ;)

My initial thoughts, as they pour from my head...

Working For Peanuts: GREAT to see some classic Donald on the big screen. I don't know if they're showing this cartoon in "flat" theaters, but I went 3D, so it was attached. Laughed out loud several times even though I know this cartoon backwards. The digital restoration on it looked superb...if only all archival cartoons could look and sound this good. Speaking of sound, I noticed two instances of replaced effects, if I'm not mistaken.

New Disney animation logo: nice, but what was with the marker pen Disney signature? It looked odd, and the D - the most prominent letter in that whole logo remember - looked flat and boring. Almost perfect, but let down big time with that mistake.

Robinsons: Actually, I very nearly thought this was the worst film I've seen since Robots!

Loved the opening. Very atmospheric and set the scene well. Danny Elfman's score throughout was as good as everyone here has been saying. I wasn't sure how much I liked the animation on the orphanage woman, nor the fact that Lewis and his roomate seemed to be the only two in there!?

Bowler Hat Guy...great fun character, but worth anything? He didn't seem to have much grounding. I also couldn't work out, knowing what we do about him by the end, why he was British!? And if he was British, why was he bothered about the baseball game?

That's not all that didn't match up for me. The future: I'm presuming Lewis' time was now, so going on how old Cornelius was, that's only a 20 year difference, roughly. So, given that Lewis wouldn't really start changing the world for another three-five years, they're saying the whole world's going to change <I>that much</I> in 15/20 years at a minimum? Nope, didn't buy that. Better for the future to have been set another generation or two in the future and maybe have the Cornelius character be the grandpa, because the difference in time does not equate the differences in the world.

The future, part II: I almost hated it. The opening of the film was great, followed by the science fair and some typical Disney kid speak that started to put me off. Then Wilbur came along and the whole movie just went random, and not in a likeable way. There was no real heart in the future at all, which is what it needed to ground the randomness. Being crazy is all well and good, but it needed something else. It collapsed into a mumble of one-liners and shouty voices that I thought were just loud, aggressively trying to be "funny", and studio-self concious.

And then...the end... I don't know if any of you are familliar with Blood Brothers, the musical play. As anyone will tell you, it's pretty rank amateurish throughout, and many people leave half way or can't really work out why this thing has run for so long and what all the fuss is about. And then...the end comes, and it hits you hard, and the first thing you want to do is go back in and see it again. That's what happened here.

Just when I was thinking, "gawd, this is almost as bad as Robots, what happened to all that good stuff at the beginning", we then meet Cornelius, and somehow the whole film locks back together, he brings a dramatic weight to things and super-injects a whole lotta heart that's been missing until now. Then Lewis gets the trip he wanted all along, and it's played really, <I>really</I> well. I felt for the characters more than I had done all along, and I don't mind admitting that I shed a tear, half for Lewis, and half in respect of the work that the artists pulled off in these final moments based on the great values that Walt Disney created all those years ago.

Though it suddenly all became rushed, with Lewis finding a family, all the coincidences that occur in the last seconds of the film, and how neatly - too neatly - things all wrap up, it all worked. And then we get the "Walt quote" and that just knocked me for six. This film is all about the ending for me, and though it was sometimes a tough slog to get there, it pays off.

Things I found didn't work: I couldn't go with the fact that the characters were stylised but that real people's photographs were used in picture frames. This didn't make sense. Why no caricature of Einstein and Tom Selleck instead of real photos. Doesn't that make the entire cast of characters freaks in their own world? Or are Einstein and Selleck the disfigured freaks? It works on South Park because that's not photorealistic. Robinsons is striving for a stylised photorealism, so those real photos stick out and don't work, plain and simple.

Doris...while the background story to her character doesn't quite add up, it works, but I felt her threat could have been bigger and more of a build up to a proper showdown. I could have done with Lewis coming to a realisation about what he could do to stop her rather than just say what he says. Doris really needed and deserved a slightly bigger ending, and <I>perhaps</I> a little more resolve for the roomate kid (forgetting his name here).

Overall, I liked what was being attemtped, buy found the middle tough going. What was with the Frogs? Just too much was thrown in there that didn't make sense. Tiny was funny, but how did Bowler Hat Guy get him there? I knew they weren't going to show that and have him just turn up, but still...

I felt that some parts were rushed or didn't have enough depth, while other parts tried to get too much in, and some sequences went on for too long or didn't have a reason to be there. I'd have to see it again to give it a full appraisal, but those are what I brought home with me.

The look of the film was overall okay, though once again the 3D didn't really add anything for me. It didn't put me there, like going to the Titanic in Ghosts Of The Abyss did. The animation was uniformly excellent, apart from some characters, and for such a crowded film there were not many people on the streets...another thing that never seemed to be a problem in hand-drawn times. Nothing particularly "wowed" me, including Bowler Hat Guy, who had had his best scenes revealed in trailers and clips. The voice cast were overall good apart from Wilbur, who was too old, and possibly Lewis who was too whiny. Why did a man play the sister part in the future? I didn't see the reason for that. I didn't think the dialogue overall was that well written.

A good effort, but not a strong one, and certainly not a "return to form" from the Mouse House. There were peeks of very good things in there, but not enough and not across the entire movie. Lastly, given the onus on Lewis and the fact they had a name change anyway, I wondered why they didn't go with a more suitable title? Given how rished through and meaningless meeting the Robinsons actually turned out to be, that didn't seem to make sense either.

B/B+

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 18th, 2007, 4:12 pm

Good review Ben! :)

Some interesting stuff to think about, definitely.

Now that you've pointed out some of the nagging plot holes, I have one of my own that I've been wanting to ask but wasn't sure how to say: (not that I didn't love the film all the same, ESPECIALLY the ending parts you mentioned--it really does come together in the end as you said--exactly how I felt. :) )

OK, here's my question:
Louis meets Wilbur's "grandfather"--his future adopted father--pretty early on in the film.

Louis is still a kid of course, but as we know now, in the timeline, this is just before he gets adopted (in the present) by the present-day version of that character.

Why didn't "future" (forgot his name, ahhh :?) Wilbur's grandfather, Lucille's husband, Louis' adopted dad, recognize his son, even though he's in kid form? Or did he and just not say anything?

He's still very much in contact with the adult Cornelius, as we see in the end of the film....did he actually know that it was his adopted son as a child when he showed him around the house and let him "Meet the Robinsons" etc....?

This might have been addressed in the film, I just can't remember. :wink: :oops: Apologies if it was! :P

BTW, when seeing the end of the film, I also choked up a bit, but as a former hard-core Dr. Who fan one thing that kept going through my head was that Louis broke the first law of time by meeting himself at the end of the film!! :) (As the Doctor did on numerous occasions.) Just thought it was a bit weird that somehow the temporally catastrophic nature of that would at least be addressed, even if nothing "happened" because of it....(except for Louis gaining more confidence in himself by meeting his adult self of course.)

:wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 18th, 2007, 4:51 pm

Good question, Vi!

I don't think it was addressed in the film, so that doesn't hold either. As I say, much of this would have been addressed by setting The Future a couple more generations on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » April 18th, 2007, 5:11 pm

" why he was British!?"

What?!?!

Where'd you get that idea? He's not british.

"I couldn't go with the fact that the characters were stylised but that real people's photographs were used in picture frames. This didn't make sense. "

Ahh... it worked in Lilo and Stitch (with elvis).

Seems to me something like that was done in Rescuers, too. It's a conscious decision. It's saying that the images as photographs are more iconic than fitting them into the design of the characters would be.

"Doesn't that make the entire cast of characters freaks in their own world? Or are Einstein and Selleck the disfigured freaks?"

Okay, now you're thinking it out too much. Funny haha joke. Next you'll be asking me how Zazu learned to sing "It's a Small World" as a hornbill bird in Africa.

(He went on vacation to Disneyworld with Timon, then they went to Hawaii so he could learn to hula!)

"Tiny was funny, but how did Bowler Hat Guy get him there?"

Time machine.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 18th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Sullivan wrote:Ahh... it worked in Lilo and Stitch (with elvis).

Seems to me something like that was done in Rescuers, too.
That it did! :)

Wasn't that the dirty picture, though?