Teacher's Pet

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Teacher's Pet

Post by mr. squarepants » November 25th, 2004, 1:08 am

I was shocked to see a "For Your Consideration: Best Animated Feature" banner for Teacher's Pet, at Hollywood Reporter's website. I figured that Disney would try to push Home on the Range more than Teacher's Pet, since it seems that most people, even the few who saw Teacher's Pet, have forgotten about the critically acclaimed film.

Here's the banner, if it hasn't been moved:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/aw ... 1000496952

Note: I just visted the link again, and the banner was not there. If the same happens for you, try hitting the "Refresh" button a few times. Maybe the banner will re-appear.
Last edited by mr. squarepants on November 25th, 2004, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » November 25th, 2004, 1:18 am

Interestingly enough, I just visited Disney's "For Your Consideration" website, and Teacher's Pet isn't even listed on it. Home on the Range is, though, and it appears that the song Disney is trying to push is "Will the Sun Ever Shine Again", which is available to download from the website.

Personally, I think the song deserves to win. In fact, I think that instead of Disney trying to get Home on the Range a "Best Animated Feature" nomination, the studio should put their money into better promoting "Will the Sun..." for "Best Original Song". I really don't think the film will get the "Best Animated Feature" nomination.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 25th, 2004, 12:08 pm

I hate this new trend where the "most likely to be popular as a pop song" song is chosen to be pushed as Best Song, instead of the actual best song in the movie! I think it started back with the success of the Beauty and the Beast single. After that it seems Disney has taken to just pushing the single as best song.

All the songs were good in HotR, but Little Patch of Heaven or Yodel-Adle-Eedle-Idle-Oo were better than Will the Sun Ever Shine Again, but since they aren't stand alone songs that will works as pop songs they're out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » November 25th, 2004, 1:13 pm

James wrote:Image

I hate this new trend where the "most likely to be popular as a pop song" song is chosen to be pushed as Best Song, instead of the actual best song in the movie! I think it started back with the success of the Beauty and the Beast single. After that it seems Disney has taken to just pushing the single as best song.

All the songs were good in HotR, but Little Patch of Heaven or Yodel-Adle-Eedle-Idle-Oo were better than Will the Sun Ever Shine Again, but since they aren't stand alone songs that will works as pop songs they're out.
I agree, Little Patch of Heaven is pure sunshine and I can't imagine there's a better song out there that could win over it, but I'm sure there is since the stuff I want to win never wins :roll: :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 25th, 2004, 1:26 pm

But "Will The Sun Ever Shine..." wasn't the big "pop song" in the film.

Surely, with two versons on the soundtrack and a music video/single release, it was the "Anytime You Need A Friend" track that was the "breakout" theme from Home On The Range.

Personally, I'm glad to see that it's NOT this song that they're pushing, since "When The Sun..." was, for me, a high point in the movie and the one emotional grounding moment.

I'd be all for Disney pushing that. "Patch Of Heaven" was fun, but it's a throwaway opener - a good one - but nothing more, though certainly nothing less.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 25th, 2004, 4:38 pm

I also like Patch of Heaven, and feel that it deserves a nomination as well. Still, I believe Disney is putting their dollars behind the song that would be most likely to win.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » November 25th, 2004, 9:36 pm

Here are some of the nomination banners (if you keep refreshing that page, you'll see all of them). Personally, my favorite song from HotR is definately Patch of Heaven (I got the chills when she sang it at the end). The song they are going for is nice too, just not the best.
ImageImageImageImageImage
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » November 26th, 2004, 7:15 am

I hope Incredibles, Shrek 2 and Home On The Range will be the three nominated films :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » November 26th, 2004, 10:33 am

PatrickvD wrote:I hope Incredibles, Shrek 2 and Home On The Range will be the three nominated films :D
Me too (even though I think Spongebob or Polar Express will get in over HotR). I for one think HotR should win. The Incredibles was good, but not great (unlike Monsters & Nemo). Between Shrek 2 and HotR, I just think HotR is better (and it would be nice to finally see a Disney musical win).
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » November 26th, 2004, 5:38 pm

askmike1 wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:I hope Incredibles, Shrek 2 and Home On The Range will be the three nominated films :D
Me too (even though I think Spongebob or Polar Express will get in over HotR). I for one think HotR should win. The Incredibles was good, but not great (unlike Monsters & Nemo). Between Shrek 2 and HotR, I just think HotR is better (and it would be nice to finally see a Disney musical win).
I havent seen Incredibles yet and yes I thought HotR was better than Shrek 2 but I wouldn't go as far as letting it win :lol: But I definitely think it deserves to be nominated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Lindsay » November 27th, 2004, 10:00 pm

Well, Shrek 2 and The Incredibles are definites for the Animated Feature category, though I'll gladly eat my hat if one of them - most preferably the latter - somehow pulls off a Best Picture nom. With such a tepid response both critically and publicly, I really don't think The Polar Express has a chance at that third nom spot.
On the flipside, I think SpongeBob just might. I really wouldn't want to see the Sponge nominated, though - as much of a fan as I am of him, nominating a SpongeBob film to Best Animated Feature would just be kind of degrading to the category. Granted, it's a joke of a category in the first place, but a SpongeBob movie thrown among the nominations would, in my opinion, further the mentality that "cartoons are just for kids" - since not a lot of "sophisticated adults" take SpongeBob that seriously. :roll: It'd be interesting to see if Home on the Range would make its way in there, though I'd much rather see another "indie" film in the third slot, like Innocence or Sky Blue.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

awesome

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2004, 11:01 pm

It would be so cool if BOTH the Incredibles and Shrek 2 got a Best Picture nom. Not since Beauty has an animated film gotten a Best Picture nod--and now TWICE. Can you imagine the rivalries that would stir up??
8) :twisted:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: For Your Consideration...

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2004, 11:07 pm

mr. squarepants wrote:I was shocked to see a "For Your Consideration: Best Animated Feature" banner for Teacher's Pet, at Hollywood Reporter's website. I figured that Disney would try to push Home on the Range more than Teacher's Pet, since it seems that most people, even the few who saw Teacher's Pet, have forgotten about the critically acclaimed film.

Here's the banner, if it hasn't been moved:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/aw ... 1000496952

Note: I just visted the link again, and the banner was not there. If the same happens for you, try hitting the "Refresh" button a few times. Maybe the banner will re-appear.
You never know what will get nominated and what won't. No one thought Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius would get it that first year, but there you are. With the TON of money that Spongebob has been making, as well as the good reviews, I wouldn't be that shocked if SB got a nom too.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » November 28th, 2004, 6:24 am

there's no way Shrek 2 will be nominated for best pic, I'd rather see Catwoman get nominated (yes that's how I feel about Shrek 2 :P)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » November 29th, 2004, 6:11 pm

You never know what will get nominated and what won't. No one thought Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius would get it that first year, but there you are.
Atlantis probably would have gotten that nomination, though, had Disney not pulled it out of the race, in order to put more into promoting Monsters, Inc. for the Oscar.