AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 22nd, 2006, 12:00 am

Now it works.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2006, 5:51 pm

I'm going to close this thread.

I posted that link for Vi waaaaaaaaaay back when this movie was the subject of another thread.

It's the best out there for T&TC info, but this thread is replicating an older subject.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

CG Films: Turning into a fad?

Post by Wonderlicious » March 22nd, 2006, 5:14 pm

Does anyone find that films in the CG medium are beginning to look a bit needless now? There was a novelty in them a few years back, but now a lot are all looking like cookie cutter time fillers. I saw the trailer for Happy Feet a while ago, and I've gotta say that it looks somewhat pointless. I know that I shouldn't judge a film without totally seeing it, but I'm beginning to worry if CG films start to lose business due to lack of quality, possibly putting theatrical animation on life support.

Does anyone agree with me here?
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 22nd, 2006, 5:24 pm

I agree! Maybe if the storylines were different, but they're all kinda similar jokey-buddy-comedies-action films.

I'm a hard-core traditional or classical animation fan. 3d is nice but IMO there's only so many places you can go with it emotionally. There's still so much that hasn't been done in 2d, so many plains to explore. I think you're right: The novelty HAS worn off.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 23rd, 2006, 2:45 am

Nah.

Novelty hasn't worn off.

3-D keeps topping itself. Each film made is more spectacular than the last.

And as Lassiter has said, "Life IS in 3-D."

It's not a fad. It's a new way of making movies.
I don't expect it'll die down unless peoples taste for animation itself dies down.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 23rd, 2006, 7:46 am

I love both CG and traditional. Both are incredible (when done correctly) ways of telling stories. Sure, there's an over flooding of the market with CG films right now, but that'll die down once the BO decides who the winners and who the losers are. That’s one of the biggest reason we’ve got so many animated films on our hands – it’s because they’ve been making so much money.

Ultimately it comes down to the story - as long as its' a great story, I don't care whether it's classical or computer animated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 23rd, 2006, 11:49 am

I think that the various studios are swimming in dangerous waters. There is a glut of product this year (and reportedly will be again next year) and it is inevitable that some (if not most) of them will fail. Hoodwinked did okay, but Doogal was a huge bomb. I think Monster House, Cars, Ice Age 2 (still haven't seen the first one), and Open Season will do alright, but as for the rest I don't know. I for one don't like the current atmosphere. Back when there used to be no more than 3 or 4 (at most) animated films per year, I was proud to say I had seen them all but these days it's just too much. There's no way I'm going to see all the ones that are out this year and that frustrates me to no end. I used to be the ultimate animation fanatic (in my hometown anyway) and I just can't do it anymore. What's a maniac to do?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 23rd, 2006, 6:35 pm

"Hoodwinked" proved that animation can make money at the box office, so long as you have a story that audiences will be interested in (Everyone knows the story of Little Red Riding Hood).

"Doogal", on the other hand, proved that when audiences have *No idea in heck what the story is about*, they won't go, CGI or not.

Mind you, I didn't see "Doogal", but I have to admit, it did look like it had some interesting animation. But for most of the trailer I was scratching my head.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by numairhawk » March 23rd, 2006, 11:35 pm

Happy Feet looks amazing. Look at how realistic the penguins look. That movie is going to break the box-office because it is about penguins. Penguins are HOT right now. The penguins were the only salvagable thing in Madagascar. As for everything else, I dunno. I have a great feeling about Over the Hedge though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » March 24th, 2006, 6:55 am

Wendy's Jane wrote:"Hoodwinked" proved that animation can make money at the box office, so long as you have a story that audiences will be interested in (Everyone knows the story of Little Red Riding Hood).

"Doogal", on the other hand, proved that when audiences have *No idea in heck what the story is about*, they won't go, CGI or not.

Mind you, I didn't see "Doogal", but I have to admit, it did look like it had some interesting animation. But for most of the trailer I was scratching my head.
I should add that Doogal is based on a psychedelic stop motion French TV series called The Magic Roundabout, which was popular not just in France, but in England as well (the series was completely rewritten for the UK market by the father of Emma Thompson).
-Joe

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2006, 8:36 am

I will add, also, that the original version of this film "Doogal" is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better in its first incarnation as "The Magic Roundabout: The Movie".

Mirama...sorry, the Weinsteins took the film (a French/Brit co-pro) and re-dubbed it with American voices (much like they do all the time gawd these guys don't get animation).

The script was changed in so much as the lip-sync doesn't fit anymore, though most of the better jokes are lifted right from the first take on the movie - and the screenplay is credited to another guy??!?!?!

Find "The Magic Roundabout" from 2004 and you'll find a much better movie. For those with multi-player capability, it's out in a nice 2-disc set from Amazon.co.uk, with a second disc featuring original episodes of the 1960s TV series.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 24th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Mirama...sorry, the Weinsteins took the film (a French/Brit co-pro) and re-dubbed it with American voices (much like they do all the time gawd these guys don't get animation).
Right, weren't they the guys who screwed up Thief and the Cobbler?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2006, 3:26 pm

I nearly made a point of that. They don't have a good track record...in fact, I don't think that anyone can say that have released a single ALL-ROUND decent animated feature.

Adventures Of Tom Thumb And Thumbelina, anyone? Gawd how I cringe...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » March 25th, 2006, 10:59 am

Ben wrote:Adventures Of Tom Thumb And Thumbelina, anyone? Gawd how I cringe...
I saw a bit of that film when it was on one Christmas. It bothered me. :cry:
-Joe

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 25th, 2006, 11:30 am

Speaking of the Thief & The Cobbler. Over at the SomethingAwful forums, there's a goon over there named "Tygerbug", who is making a fully restored DVD of the movie. From what I understand, whoever distributed the movie, butchered it to hell? I just know that Tygerbug is fully restoring it to how the creator of the movie wanted it to be, and it looks like it's coming along great.