The Thief & The Cobbler: ReCobbled Cut

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 29th, 2006, 4:08 pm

At this time, it looks like only the 73-minute cut of The Thief & the Cobbler is coming to DVD. At least the DVD has some nice cover art.
Last edited by Josh on September 30th, 2006, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 29th, 2006, 5:20 pm

Whoa! I didn't see that coming!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 30th, 2006, 3:07 am

And it's being done by Genius? Aren't they the company that (and I could be wrong) handled a lot of those public domain cartoons like Betty Boop and Casper? Hmmm..... :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 30th, 2006, 3:35 am

As it turns out, Amazon.com has the title listed twice [1, 2], with some of its info varying from the report at DVD Active.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2006, 7:03 am

This is one title that the Weinsteins are putting out under their own banner. Genius distributes their product.

I don't know why Amazon has two "versions" up, but they are both the same releases.

And "nice cover art" doesn't make up for a lousy pan-and-scan transfer of a severely butchered film. I recommend staying off this release entirely.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2006, 3:02 am

Nah, I liked the way Williams used it, as in that this was a "Once" in a lifetime project for him.

Well, I don't think I was that off-base, LOL, the film starts with the giant word "Once..." like he's saying "Once upon a time...." :D

But anyway, I guess it could be unrelated. Still, I adore that opening. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Not. Garret put that "Once" in there, as an homage.

The film never had finished titles. It never got that far.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Not. Garret put that "Once" in there, as an homage.

The film never had finished titles. It never got that far.
Oh, I see. :? :oops: Well, either way, I still like it. :wink:

The music in the beginning was also INTENSELY AWESOME....kinda sad and epic-like....beautiful! It wasn't the Rimsky-Korsakov score used in a lot of the film, (1001 Nights, Scheherazade, etc...) I think it was original music....who was the composer? :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2006, 5:58 pm

Um, Rimsky-Korsakov?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2006, 6:25 pm

EDIT: Sorry, I'm a moron. Misunderstood your statement. :oops:

For some reason I didn't recognize his music in that opening.... :? :oops:

:)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 11th, 2006, 3:33 pm

Moriarty has posted some fervent thoughts on the latest DVD release of The Thief and the Cobbler at Ain't It Cool News [mild language warning].

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 11th, 2006, 11:40 pm

It really seems like this excellent film just can't catch a break! :(

Also, one of the posters on AICN said that he once took an art class with Williams in LA and that Williams had some "choice opinions on Spielberg and Zemeckis" in lieu of their involvement in Roger Rabbit.

Hmmm....wonder what THAT means? :P I know there was some "tension" on that film.... :roll:

Funny, just yesterday I checked out some of Williams' book "The animator's survival kit" at my college bookstore...(it was in the general reading section.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2006, 8:59 am

I love the sum up of the Raggedy Ann And Andy movie... Sound familliar?

"All the toys in the room of a child are alive when she’s out of the room, but they’re just toys when she’s around. She gets a new toy and leaves it in her room, and the other toys all introduce themselves. She doesn’t believe she’s a toy, though, and through a series of circumstances, she ends up knocked out the window, lost out in the world, and it’s up to the favorite toy in the bedroom to go out, find the new toy, and bring it back".

Gender-reverse this and Pixar rules! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 12th, 2006, 9:12 am

Funny, just yesterday I checked out some of Williams' book "The animator's survival kit" at my college bookstore...(it was in the general reading section.)
That's a good book.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by timn » November 12th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Just watched some clips of the Raggedy Ann movie, and not only does Toy Story share the same basic plot, but there's even this sad camel who sings a song about being abandoned by his owner, sorta like Jessie in Toy Story 2. BTW, from what I've seen, the Raggedy Ann movie is a complete mess, but a fascinating one. All the animation is very well-done, on ones it would seem for much of it, and it's full of weirdly disturbing subtexts and psychedelic moments. I am curious about seeing the whole thing, but fox will probably never release it on dvd, as it was a big flop.