Gnomeo And Juliet

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Gnomeo And Juliet

Post by ShyViolet » March 27th, 2006, 11:16 pm

This surprised me. It seemed kind of cute, for what it was...

For some reason I keep thinking of "The Troll in Central Park"... :roll:

Wow, lots of major changes at Disney. :shock: :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » March 28th, 2006, 2:03 am

If it's true, it's good news!
Sick of these parody of fairytales...Give Shrek a break.
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2006, 7:03 am

Well, this wasn't going to be a parody of a fairytale...it was Shakespeare!!

I actually think this is a shame...would have been a good way to get kids into learning and perhaps reading the original, and sounded like it could have had fun with the concept.

However, there IS that ending which could have been the thing that undid them...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 28th, 2006, 9:22 am

They keep saying this is cancelled, then they say that it isn't cancelled, then they say that it's cancelled...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2006, 12:35 pm

It's been in development for over two years and not a frame of animation yet??

Cancelled for sure this time. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 28th, 2006, 3:19 pm

This sounded like a pretty odd movie plot to me...Then again, I'm really looking foward to Cars and Happy Feet!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 17th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Found this link from a friend at DisneySites, but I believe it's made the main page:

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-04-14/#film4
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » May 14th, 2006, 11:05 pm

ughhhh this is all sooo confusing! so this is technically going to be a miramax film right? wich means now they're going to spice it up a little? i like the idea to it though... sounds intresting and a tad of cuteness rolled into it also...
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » May 15th, 2006, 4:48 am

animated_guy wrote:ughhhh this is all sooo confusing! so this is technically going to be a miramax film right? wich means now they're going to spice it up a little? i like the idea to it though... sounds intresting and a tad of cuteness rolled into it also...
It's going to be made and released in a similar way to how Who Framed Roger Rabbit was; it's going to be released under a more mature and animated mainly by a studio in England. This article should help you understand (yes, it's Jim Hill, but...):

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... /1993.aspx
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 15th, 2006, 11:51 am

I dunno. This project still sounds too strange for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » May 15th, 2006, 8:58 pm

lol i just read the article at jHM that clears up a bunch of stufff thanks wonderlicious! i loved this part:
To hammer home this particular point to Ed & John, the Disney execs who were now in charge of "Gnomeo" reportedly talked about how excited they were about finally being able to use one of Elton John's biggest hits, "The B*tch is Back," as part of the film's soundtrack. Previously, this 1974 hit had been kept off of the approved list of songs that could be used in the Disney version of this film because ... Well, obviously, you can't use the word "b*tch" in a G-rated Walt Disney Pictures release.

But in a PG-rated Miramax Pictures release ... Hell, you can sing "The B*tch is Back" at the top of your lungs for the entire 90-minute running time of the film, if you want. Though -- to be honest -- I don't actually think that that's the plan here.
i was laughing so hard... thanks
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 20th, 2009, 3:02 pm

On Monday, Gnomeo and Juliet was mentioned, in the Los Angeles Times piece, "Can Miramax Survive?" The article notes that the budgets for Miramax's projects have been capped at $20 million. I'm guessing that rule applies to Gnomeo too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 20th, 2009, 3:47 pm

I would say, with respect, not. The film has been in production for so long that I bet they bet that $20m tag long ago. It's obvious that any <I>new</I> productions are going to feel the pinch, but although it's had a bit of a price check, G&J should still be somewhere in the $40m range which should see it looking pretty good.

After all, despite the adult tone, it's animation, and Disney doesn't want to be putting a bad-looking animation film out there. The mention of Toronto also intrigues me: I wonder if Core Feature Animation are involved in this?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 20th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Ben wrote:I would say, with respect, not. The film has been in production for so long that I bet they bet that $20m tag long ago. It's obvious that any <I>new</I> productions are going to feel the pinch, but although it's had a bit of a price check, G&J should still be somewhere in the $40m range which should see it looking pretty good.
Last I'd heard, it'd fell back into being an indie project for Elton's producers--

Legend has it, one of John Lasseter's first acts in his first week at Disney was to review early G&J footage--
He reportedly looked at Catmull, and said, quote, "...Why are we making this??"
Needless to say, that was the end of the project at Disney. :wink:

(But which has since gone on to become my favorite quote most iconically symbolizing the change from the Stainton to Lasseter regime.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 21st, 2009, 2:01 pm

Ahh, nope. It's not Core Features doing this, it's Starz Animation, the company that produced the visuals for <I>Everyone's Hero, Space Chimps</I> (both Fox) and <I>9</I> (Universal), so Miramax and Rocket Pictures' bucks should mean it has a good finish.

Although they also own Film Roman, both entities seem to be separate from each other. Although it was "formed" in 2007, Starz Animation was IDT Entertainment before that, producing lots of animation for other projects.

<I>Everyone's Hero</I> was actually a really good little film, and <I>9</I>'s animation looks unique, so as long as the script works for this, I'm remaining in a positive mood about Gnomeo & Juliet.