Dream On Silly Dreamer

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » November 30th, 2004, 12:13 am

However bad Dream On Silly Dreamer makes Tom Schumacker look, if Mary Poppins and The Little Mermaid are hits, he probably won't suffer from any sort of embarrassment too long.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 30th, 2004, 12:58 am

Stego wrote:by the way...i'm in the chat room... :D

which reminds me...why don't we organize a group chat sometime? Or am i just being lame? :wink:
We haven't officially launched the chat room, but soon we'll make an announcement making everyone aware of its existence! We'll try to plan regular chats eventually. Feel free to use it and let me know of any bugs!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 30th, 2004, 12:59 am

And let's not let this thread go off topic too much!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » November 30th, 2004, 8:42 pm

James wrote:And let's not let this thread go off topic too much!

Sorry, Man...got a little carried away with the chat feature yesterday. It seems to be in perfect working order so far!

On a more on-topic note...does anyone know if there will be interviews with laid-off Animators from WDFA that weren't mentioned on the site?
"When cartoonists draw, they should strive to create enduring images. These images are extremely important, and we have to keep growing and getting better." -Charles Schulz

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 30th, 2004, 10:44 pm

Stego wrote:
James wrote:And let's not let this thread go off topic too much!

Sorry, Man...got a little carried away with the chat feature yesterday. It seems to be in perfect working order so far!
I meant the Michael Moore/political tangent - not you!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 1st, 2004, 12:32 am

James wrote:I meant the Michael Moore/political tangent - not you!
Oh! :oops: Thanks for clarifying...hehehe

...and now i've just made this thread even longer *sigh* :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 1st, 2004, 1:05 am

[deleted]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: documentary

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2004, 6:37 am

ShyViolet wrote:They're supposed to be producing the stage versions of "The Little Mermaid" and "Mary Poppins".
I saw a preview of the Poppins musical.

And it is s**t. Really. P**s poor. And it takes me a lot to get rilled up like that.

D-I-S-A-P-P-O-I-N-T-E-D.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: documentary

Post by PatrickvD » December 1st, 2004, 10:52 am

Ben wrote:
ShyViolet wrote:They're supposed to be producing the stage versions of "The Little Mermaid" and "Mary Poppins".
I saw a preview of the Poppins musical.

And it is s**t. Really. P**s poor. And it takes me a lot to get rilled up like that.

D-I-S-A-P-P-O-I-N-T-E-D.
And I can't imagine Little mermaid being any good either, blugh...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 1st, 2004, 4:01 pm

Ben, you have just crushed my hopes. I really was wishing the Mary Poppins Broadway show would be just as wonderul as the movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Katzenberg

Post by ShyViolet » December 1st, 2004, 11:21 pm

I'm curious if and how much Jeffrey Katzenberg will be mentioned in this documentary. It will be strange if he's talked about since he's pretty much been erased from official Disney history. What will they say about him or how his "resignation" affected WDFA? That adds another controvertial
factor to this film. :idea:
Last edited by ShyViolet on December 2nd, 2004, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 1st, 2004, 11:41 pm

I'm wondering if they'll mention the pressure put on WDFAF for Brother Bear, to speed up production so more work could be done on HOTR. Or even how crucial the florida films were and how they proved themselves through the likes of Mulan and Lilo & Stitch.

I definitely think they should talk about artists like Aaron Blaise...since Brother Bear's success and the shut down of FAF, he's been shipped out to FA in Cali. ...one of the more fortunate outcomes since the layoffs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 3rd, 2004, 5:24 am

mr. squarepants wrote:Ben, you have just crushed my hopes. I really was wishing the Mary Poppins Broadway show would be just as wonderul as the movie.
Sorry to potentially upset you Mr SP, and I would of course suggest you catch it yourself whenever it arrives on the Great White Way, but all I can say is that they have stripped the show of the film's original spirit.

Rather than just add extra songs to the already packed score (and among my most favorite arranged in the Disney canon), they put in additional verses, new lyrics which don't match the whimsical take the original had, and totally mess (I'd like to use a much stronger word here) up Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious in the extreme.

The ONE funny bit was when she says it backwards and they really have worked out what it would sound like, but actually the movie's "joke interpretation" is still more entertaining.

Nothing wrong with adding songs of course, but they've put in one called Pratically Perfect In Every Way, which, if it had been sung by the two kids (it comes when Mary introduces herself to them) would have been sweet and funny (like Truly Scrumptious in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang). BUT, they have Mary singing it in a "well-aren't-I-the-best-friggin'-thing-in-the-world-ever" tone that is quite off for her character, making her snobby, stuffed up and up herself in a quite unlikeable way.

Also, the actress playing Poppins (I forget, but it has a Fraser in there I think), and who I was a fan of in My Fair Lady here in the UK, totally plays it wrong. With Julie Andrews, one always got that she KNEW she was magical, but she played it down, modestly so, and with a wink to the audience (indeed, she literally does this in the Spoonful Of Sugar number in the film). With Fraser, she seems very aware that she's playing this iconic role, and possibly far too confident in it. Mary almost seems obnoxious at times - not the best way to endear a character to an audience.

The audience I saw this with (in Bristol) didn't seem that impressed either. Sure, they're not a big London crowd, used to West End shows, but I've found that these out-of-town tryouts are a good measure of how a show will go down.

A case of a good thing being tampered way too much with. If you want to see how it should be done, check out the Chitty musical if it comes your way - the Shermans WERE involved on that one and it shows in the great new songs, seamlessly interwoven into the original score (which now includes the wonderful line "It takes Team Work to make a Dream Work" - haha!) - now THAT's magical stage stuff!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 3rd, 2004, 11:21 pm

I hope this doesn't send us too much off topic, but i just wanted to add that i really feel the Disney*MGM - Studios stage show of Hunchback was quite possibly one of the most successful stage shows Disney has ever done...they were always threatening to shut it down, but it was so well done and very well received, that i could never understand why they wanted it gone. But i believe it is gone now, if i'm not mistaken. ...shame, really.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2004, 9:25 am

Was it based on the Berlin show?

I'd LOVE to see that (and there is talk of transferring it into English, either for London or Broadway). That would be something!