Star Trek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 18th, 2008, 1:54 pm

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 18th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Seconded on annoyance at the "discontented" youth business.

Yuck.

As good as some of the visuals look (still hate the Enterprise design, though -- still looks like a squashed watermelon), it all comes down to story.

We'll see what they managed to get on film BEFORE the strike really screwed things up.

Oh, and FYI, webmasters reap what they sow.

That's probably why the incidence of real arguments is pretty low here. You don't get too personal with the talkbackers or mock their beliefs.

I have a real low tolerance level for that myself...

Other websites (that I won't name again but you can search for them in my past comments) PROMOTE disharmony and some webmasters seem to get off on creating chaos and anger.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Life's too short George. We come on here for <I>fun</I>! Why spoil it? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 19th, 2008, 6:16 am

I think the trailer is cool and personally, I don't care if it doesn't mesh with what we know. As long as the movie's good that's all that matters. They say it's a prequel, not a reboot but I bet they change their minds after it does well. A reboot would make more sense anyway as it would allow future writers the freedom to tell good stories without having to worry about 40 years of continuity.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 19th, 2008, 11:49 am

Repeat after me --

R-E-B-O-O-T.

That's what this is. A JJ Abrams-ized action/melodrama.

We'll see if it's palatable for the masses. It's got a 50/50 chance of making it.

Don't mistake it for fitting into what was Classic Star Trek.

This is definitely not Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek.

That's still available on Nick at Nite's TV Land and copies on DVD wherever you can find them. Although it is getting noticeably harder to find the original TV series on DVD.

I think it's quietly gone out-of-print on DVD in favor of the remastered version.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 19th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Perhaps, but I was lucky enough to get a great deal on all three seasons last year, so I'm good. Now if only they'd lower the price of the other series, I might finally be able to get Deep Space Nine (the only other Trek series I care to have in its entirety) and a season or two of Next Generation. I'm hoping Amazon will mark them down when the movie comes out as a promotional push.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Abrams' Star Trek may be the most profitable in the entire franchise. I think it's going to do an excellent job of rebooting Star Trek for non-fans of today.

That's who the audience is for this...not the geeks. They'll go and have a fit before calming down and seeing that this trek is better than no Trek at all.

As for TOS on DVD, you're right George..."This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer" abounds on the pages...

<I>DAMMIT</I>! I had them on my to do list when they came down in cost and just never got around to it. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 19th, 2008, 10:17 pm

They've been blowing out the TOS sets here for a while. Let me know if you'd like me to keep an eye out. They may be largely gone from the shelves now.

The new Trek film will almost certainly be a big hit, and Paramount will claim it's the most successful ever (not taking into account inflation, of course!). I'm actually looknig forward to it. I do see it as a total reboot, more than a prequel.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 20th, 2008, 8:54 am

Yeah, reboot than prequel...there's no denying that if this is huge we'll get more from this cast under the watch of Abrams even if he doesn't write or direct.

Thanks Rand...George sent me a PM with a few pointers but ordering from anywhere in the US is a bit of a chore...quite often they need to verify outside credit cards, etc, which is why I stick to Amazon. Amazon Canada works for me too, but they're not even listing TOS sets there!

So, yes, if you see any of them (or all three) going for around $40-60 or an all-in three pack for cheaper, please do let me know. As long as they're not bilingual packaging I may well be interested! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » November 24th, 2008, 6:11 pm

GeorgeC wrote:Don't mistake it for fitting into what was Classic Star Trek.

This is definitely not Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek.
I hope for the best, though this treads precarious ground with its youngling cast and could have the effect of becoming "Wesley Crusher: The Movie", only more trendy. Hardy har, but the thought is still troubling.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2008, 6:21 pm

George...Rand...I've joined the ST:TOS club!

Been on the lookout for the past couple of weeks and found a couple of eBayers selling off at fairly reasonable prices, so I started tracking them and have been watching the kinds of prices they've been going for.

Everywhere else, the hawks are selling all three seasons for well over $250 or higher, so I figured I'd drop a similar amount on eBay for a sealed set. Found the box of three which retained the card slips as well as the outer box last night and kept my hand in the bid. I was willing to drop $300 in the last few minutes to try and outbid my closest competitor but the sucker got me in the final seconds, actually bidding $305!

I had my eye on another set but the guy wouldn't accept outisde US bids, so his loss. The final one I was looking at didn't have the outer box but was basically all three seasons still sealed with the original card slips, which was going low - at $87 - and I figured that's how I <I>would</I> have bought them, so no outer box wasn't a great loss. The bids climbed but I was in the lead as of this morning in the early $100s.

This is where it gets nuts...I'm thinking "hey, I have a shot here...no one else seems that interested in this set for whatever reason", they're all betting on the three-pack. So I see the bids rise, but I'm still in the lead at $122.50. Then I have to go out! We've been invited out to a gathering down the road - literally about three minutes drive. I walk there and meet Jenny, who's driven down from a previous outing. We have drinks and small talk, I then make my excuses at around 8:33, explaining I need to make a phone call, and hop outside. I run to the car, jump in, race back home, land in my chair and switch on the monitor, which I've naturally left "tuned" to the eBay page.

Ugh...I'm outbid at $187...but it's okay...still within my price range. So I wait for the final few seconds and prepare my insane bid of $300 plus the $5 for luck that I lost out on the previous night. I figure that no-one's going to be expecting an idiot to put that much down on the set, so even if there's a last minute scramble it's never going to go that high. Bam...I submit the bid and sure enough there's a final flurry...but I am invincible! The bidding ends and...I'm the winner, at just $205 - $100 less than I would have paid last night!

The way I figure it, I don't mind dropping a couple of hundred bucks on all three sets, and they're all still sealed too, so it's worth it it my book. At $200, that works out to be around £150 or £50 each, which is what I <I>would</I> have paid had I picked these up at the original $70 a piece price when they were first put out. So while I haven't gained anything, I didn't lose much either...and at least I can now add all three TOS seasons of Star Trek to my shelves.

That'll do me...I've a feeling that whenever they hit Blu-ray, all we'll get are the remastered, tinkered with versions...the very reasons those editions were prepared in the first place. I'm more than happy to have the original sets, and more than happy with the price I paid for them.

And the little bit of excitement I got in the bidding! Naturally I drove straight back to our friends and they were none the wiser! Result! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 15th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Congrats, Benjamin! Now you can think about collecting the other Trek series. Personally, I'm waiting 'til I win the lottery.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Nah...much as I loved watching all those shows (except Enterprise, which was scheduled oddly here and I never got in to), once is enough for me. I already have a enough stuff I don't watch <I>now</I> so silly to keep adding long-running shows that have a limited appeal for me. I'd be tempted by TNG, but I doubt I would ever watch them and they're on TV here all the time anyway.

I said a long time ago: I'd go for TOS, TAS, the motion pictures and...that's it. I still need the movies: am very tempted by the $73 cost at Amazon, but am also practical that a Blu set is in the works for when the new movie hits disc. Question is...do I want the new movie in the "old" series set? The OS-NG transition was pretty seamless in Generations (is it original crew or next gen? I like it as both!), and capping the series at Nemesis seems the right thing to do before going for the reboot series (we all know there'll be more of them).

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 15th, 2008, 11:27 pm

I pretty much got everything I wanted from Star Trek while the getting was good.

I've had a feeling for a while that all Paramount will release on Blu-Ray are the "remastered, redigitized, blankety-blankety-blank improved CGI" versions of the original show!

(There's a growing sentiment among fans of the original show that the CGI-d versions are inferior. What was wrong about the original version were all the repeated shots of the Enterprise, not the quality of the effects per se. It's really sad when the best Paramount can do for its perennial cash cow is to present the live-action footage with new videogame quality CGI. The CGI Enterprise looks fake whereas the original 11-foot model had a realness about it that DOESN'T come off fake.)

I got lucky, too, Ben.

I actually ended up getting Season 3 of TOS from a Canadian fellow selling on Amazon.ca... I could have saved a few bucks getting the set from e-Bay but it was available where I looked so that's where I got it -- on my THIRD attempt at getting Season 3 alone on the Net!

(Yeah, my first two orders got cancelled. The set is definitely out-of-print!)

I have a feeling the two-set DVDs of all the films are out-of-print, too, but that there's just a ton more copies of those in the meantime.

I ended up getting ALL the Trek films except Insurrection and really don't regret it.

As things sound now, it looks like ALL the film featuring the original series cast will be re-released next year on Blu-Ray with new extras. I don't really know if anything's being carried over from the two-disc DVD sets that are still widely available. (I got about four of those for $6 a piece when they were on sale at Borders.)

If you still want the original Star Trek, it really looks like e-Bay is your best shot for the ORIGINAL broadcast version of the show. Definitely best to try to get the whole thing in one shot.

It looks like the last print run of those sets were the three-packs and there are more of those around than the individual releases.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 18th, 2008, 5:28 pm

Majel Barrett Roddenberry died today. She had several roles across all the series'. Luckily for the new film she'd just completed her lines as the ship's computer voice recently.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11263728