Star Trek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 17th, 2009, 6:01 pm

"6-film set"? I thought it was just the first three ("trilogy") coming out as a set, with the others as singles?

If there's an all-in six film collection I'd be up for that, though I'm one of the few that DO care for Generations and would like to see that in there. No doubt there will be a second, Next Gen set with that in later on, which I may just wait for, or indeed may just wait for the inevitable 10-film set, which is what I really want.

I love how this Trek-mania has started to grip old "this is going to be a big mistake" George and that even he is starting to wonder if the reboot might be something worthwhile. Don't do it George - I was adamant that Superman and Indy 4 were bad ideas before getting a little excited (yes, just a little, truthfully) and then hating the final results with a vengeance.

Keep your expectations low and you might be surprised... :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 17th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Yep, there's a six-film set (all with the original versions, some for the first time on 5" disc); and a 4-disc TNG set is expected before the end of the year.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 18th, 2009, 4:24 am

Ben wrote:"6-film set"? I thought it was just the first three ("trilogy") coming out as a set, with the others as singles?

If there's an all-in six film collection I'd be up for that, though I'm one of the few that DO care for Generations and would like to see that in there. No doubt there will be a second, Next Gen set with that in later on, which I may just wait for, or indeed may just wait for the inevitable 10-film set, which is what I really want.

I love how this Trek-mania has started to grip old "this is going to be a big mistake" George and that even he is starting to wonder if the reboot might be something worthwhile. Don't do it George - I was adamant that Superman and Indy 4 were bad ideas before getting a little excited (yes, just a little, truthfully) and then hating the final results with a vengeance.

Keep your expectations low and you might be surprised... :)

I AM keeping my expectations low!

The last Trek teaser that aired during the Super Bowl looked good. I remember that ALL the Star Wars prequel teasers looked good, too! :lol:

Ah, but seriously, more good tie-in news courtesy of The Digital Bits (Tuesday edition Feb 17 2009)

"By the way, we mentioned in the original post that The Best of Star Trek: The Original Series and The Best of Star Trek: The Next Generation would be released on DVD later this year. We've confirmed with CBS and Paramount that they're coming on 5/12 as well. The Best of Star Trek: The Original Series will include the episodes The City on the Edge of Forever, The Trouble with Tribbles, Balance of Terror and Amok Time. These will be the new "remastered" versions. The Best of Star Trek: The Next Generation will include the episodes The Best of Both Worlds, Part I, The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2, Yesterday's Enterprise and The Measure of a Man."

That Next Generation set would be worth getting!

I don't plan on EVER buying the whole Next Generation series (although I do admit to having 3 of the 4 films on DVD) but this is too good of a series' selection to pass up! Not only does it have THE best two-parter that show ever made (The Best of Both Worlds -- does it have to be said?), but the other two shows are darn good, too!

(Disclosure -- I felt that TNG had two-and-a-half good years out of seven. Took them 3 years to figure out how to write the show well so Seasons 1 and 2 are a wash as far as I'm concerned, Seasons 3 and 4 are still among the best Trek ever made, but then for whatever reasons the show got bad AGAIN at the start of Season 5 continuing all through Season 6 and I felt about half of Season 7 was pretty good. The show DID end on a good note and I felt "All Good Things..." was one of the better two-parters, too, and a much better story than Star Trek: Generations. THAT should have been the first TNG movie, not Generations. Still, as successful as TNG was on television, it's never going to be the icon the original Star Trek was and still is. NOBODY'S topped Kirk and Spock. Not The Doctor, Not B5 or DS9, and certainly not Battllestar Galactica (take your pick!), either..)

Don't worry about skipping these episodes on DVD and buying them on Blu-Ray, guys. Paramount was short-sighted enough to transfer the FINAL edited versions of TNG WITH all those nice shots and edited on videotape special effects to standard def! It'll be years, IF EVER, before Paramount coughs up the cash to redo The Next Generation in hi-def (along with DS9 and Voyager). They have to find all the live-action film (IF it exists!) and THEN redo all the film editing AND the effects at hi-def level.

You're going to have to be satisfied with standard-def DVD in the meantime.

(P.S. -- More about the previously announced Trek Blu-Ray season sets, too. More blather about cut extras to TOS and changes to the feature films. FINALLY, some of those films will show up in their original aspect ratios on Blu-Ray for the first time!)

See, this is one of those things I've talked about a billion times. As long as there are old TV series that only exist on tape in final form -- NOT film -- and there are series and films that won't benefit from hi-def format, there'll be plenty of reasons for DVD to continue to co-exist along with Blu-Ray. I bet long after the big studios cease DVD replication the format will endure with hobbyists and companies that CAN'T afford Blu-Ray and don't see an economical reason to upgrade.

Of course, it goes without saying that you CAN fit more standard-def material on Blu-Ray than DVD but nobody is seriously going to put an entire season's worth of a show on one Blu-Ray and sell it that way! They want to parse it out on more discs and have you pay for it!
:lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2009, 9:54 am

Looks like we got the same press release! Here's the actual official word from Paramount...NOT good news on the "Trilogy" front, which misses out the first film and basically includes the "fan trilogy" of parts II, III and IV (as I originally mentioned I couldn't see why a "trilogy" would omit the story-closing IV).
Paramount Home Entertainment is joining the marketing hoopla for the May 8 theatrical release of the new "Star Trek" movie by releasing the original films and TV show on Blu-ray Disc for the first time.

Due on Blu-ray April 28 is "Star Trek: The Original Series -- Season One." The seven-disc set includes all 29 episodes from the landmark 1966-67 season of the seminal science fiction series, with the option for viewers to toggle between the original broadcast versions and the recent remastered versions that include enhanced visual effects. Extras include the original previews for each episode, plus a variety of behind-the-scenes featurettes and retrospectives. Diamond Select Toys will offer an exclusive Sulu action figure with purchase of the set.

Paramount follows this May 12 with two Blu-ray boxed sets of the films based on the original series, the "Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection" and the "Star Trek Motion Picture Trilogy."

The "Original Motion Picture Collection" includes the six films starring the cast of the original television series: "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" (1979), "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" (1982), "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" (1984), "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" (1986), "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" (1989) and "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" (1991).

The set includes the bonus disc "Star Trek: The Captains' Summit," featuring a roundtable discussion hosted by Whoopi Goldberg and featuring William Shatner (Capt. Kirk), Leonard Nimoy (Spock), Patrick Stewart (Capt. Picard of "Star Trek: The Next Generation") and Jonathan Frakes (Riker of "TNG"). The Blu-ray versions of the films are the original theatrical cuts, and the set does not include Robert Wise's director's edition of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture," released on DVD in 2001.

The trilogy set, which also will be released on DVD, includes "The Wrath of Khan," "The Search for Spock" and "The Voyage Home." Fans have long considered the films an unofficial trilogy due to the way the story arcs from one film flow into the next. A featurette on "Star Trek IV" explores this notion. The films have been remastered in high-definition with new 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio. The Blu-ray versions of the films also include all-new extras and BD Live capabilities such as "Star Trek I.Q."

In the TV DVD realm (<B>not Blu-ray</B>), Paramount May 12 will release "The Best of Star Trek: The Original Series" and "The Best of Star Trek: The Next Generation," each with four episodes. The "Original Series" set includes "City on the Edge of Forever," "The Trouble With Tribbles," "Balance of Terror" and "Amok Time." "TNG" episodes include "The Best of Both Worlds Parts 1 & 2," "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "The Measure of a Man."

Just to round out the campaign, Paramount will release a new deluxe-edition DVD of DreamWorks' 1999 "Star Trek" spoof "Galaxy Quest," also on May 12. The DVD includes a variety of new featurettes, plus the deleted scenes that were included on the DVD released in 2000.
So that's the official word. I'm going for the Motion Pic Collection if I do go for anything at all...still probably going to hold out for a 10-film set. And Galaxy Quest, unless it gets a Blu release (or we're offered a screener!) will have to wait too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 26th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Here's the back of the Blu-ray box for season 1 of the original series. "The Best of Both Worlds" so true, but now I got to see an example - wow!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2009, 3:11 pm

So me thinks that I'm still pleased to have picked up the original sets: it <I>could</I> look from that packaging that the aspect ratios might be screwed with. The box <I>shows</I> widescreen framecaps, but the grid confirms a 4:3 image.

I understood that the VFX remasters were done in 1.78:1? Or were they still 4:3?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 4th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Season 1 Blu-ray will have an insert for a FREE Sulu action figure offer, all you have to do is pay shipping. There's additional inserts that will come housed in the 7-disc release, luckily TSoD has scans which showcases more from Diamond toys. That chair is amazing!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » March 4th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Im wondering how this will turn out. Will fans of the original series like this, will the actors from the original like this? This seems a little promising

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 4th, 2009, 6:25 pm

Free Sulu action figure, eh? I'm a novice to Star Trek but I do remember Takei's distinctive voice. "Warp One....Warp Two..." Not to mention "San Francisco...I was born there."

Admittedly, I don't know much about Star Trek other than the music of Alexander Courage and Jerry Goldsmith. And that Patrick Stewart and "the guy from Reading Rainbow" were in The Next Generation.

And, of course, "The Trouble With Tribbles"

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 9th, 2009, 12:36 pm

The more I see pictures of that new Enterprise design for the film, the more I keep hoping it gets BLOWN up by the end of film or another "time travel" bubble erupts and changes this film into something that resembles TOS a bit more -- starting with the darn ship!

It's ugly. Especially from the sides and rear. The only good angle is from the front and even then you can tell it's such an obviously lopsided, disproportionate design. I can't begin to say where they went wrong here (there's too much to point out!) other than somebody got arrogant and decided they could design a better Enterprise than Matt Jefferies or Andrew Probert and just mildly referenced the STTMP and TOS ships. What we have here is a bad melding of all the design features that DIDN'T work in the post-Trek II ships. It's taken the ugliest aspects of the STTNG-era ships and slapped them onto something that only vaguely resembles the TOS Enterprise.

Art production on science fiction films and TV series definitely peaked in the late 1970s and 1980s. There hasn't been much of anything that's looked good since Blade Runner (1982)!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by William » April 4th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Rating announcement:

"Star Trek" has been given an US (MPAA) rating of PG-13 for "sci-fi action and violence and brief sexual content."

The proof?
http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/03/officia ... rama-more/

It is my understanding that the so-called "Supreme Court" (director J.J. Abrams, writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci and producers Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk) had been gunning for a PG-13 the entire time.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 6th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Why is it a big deal? "Star Trek" movies have recieved PG-13 ratings before, and we've known all along that the action in this one was going to be amped up. The rating doesn't surprise me at all.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 8th, 2009, 12:12 am

The new Star Trek movie just had its premiere in Sydney, Australia with a bunch of the stars and director in attendance.

(That puzzles me -- an American film premiering in Australia???!?!??!? That makes as much sense as a Red Dwarf movie premiering in Beijing, China!)

Anyhow, the new Enterprise design still looks like pooh but all may not be lost. People seemed to like the new Spock and McCoy.

My judgment on the film reserved until I see it. Still hate the new art direction, though. Everything's too white and out-of-balance.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 8th, 2009, 12:59 am

I know you hate AICN, George, but it's been revealed there that Austin actually got the movie first, and many of the "geeks" there loved it. Reservations about AICN aside, I'm getting excited for this movie.

BTW, George, did you read the Countdown comic book miniseries? I've just ordered the trade from Amazon.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 8th, 2009, 9:45 am

No, Rand...

They premiered TEN minutes of the film in Austin, Texas.

The finished film (or close to it) premiered in Sydney a month ahead of the scheduled release. The Australians and lucky Star Trek fans got to see the whole film in Sydney.

Ten minutes really doesn't tell you much about the film in total. I can remember the best moments of Star Trek: Generations were the first 10-15 minutes with the original cast. After those scenes with the Enterprise-B were over, the film went downhill from there on out. It's a bit early to be popping champagne where the film's concerned. That's why I'd urge caution and tend to disregard what AICN says. (Saves a lot of money on premature ticket-ordereing and the "I told you so's.")

What gets me is that this is an American icon.

I just don't understand premiering this film in Australia first, and not the US where the series was created. The Aussies (who I have no quarrel with) get to see the film first. That decision doesn't make sense to me.

(Although technically speaking, even Canada premiered Star Trek: The Original Series a day ahead of the US back in 1966! :lol: )