Star Trek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek"

Post by ShyViolet » July 24th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Yeah totally agree...who wants to pay for ANOTHER sub??? (I already have too many lol. :? I think the operative word here is “gouge.”).
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 24th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Besides, paying for a streaming service is like leasing a car. You never actually own anything, instead you need to pay a subscription fee for eternity or wind up losing everything. Of course that's not true for all subscriptions, but the majority for sure!

One example that comes to mind is Pretty Little Liars on Netflix. Contract is up and will soon be removed. People are miffed, to put it lightly. It's not saved on their account or anything. Sucks big time! Why sign up mainly for a show you really like only for it to be removed at a moments notice? Such a gyp.

This is why physical media rules. It's yours to keep, to watch whenever you please and it can't just be taken away. That's without bringing up quality, buffering and the like. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 24th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Daniel wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Besides, paying for a streaming service is like leasing a car. You never actually own anything, instead you need to pay a subscription fee for eternity or wind up losing everything. Of course that's not true for all subscriptions, but the majority for sure!
But that's been the big problem with digital VOD and streaming since the beginning: Nobody, not even those selling it, could tell the two apart, and when the audience couldn't either, it became the clueless leading the blind.

Streaming isn't a replacement for disc, it's become the replacement for cable TV--You don't "keep" a movie on streaming, any more than you were able to "keep" the annual CBS airing of Wizard of Oz, but when it was on, you watched.
Netflix and Amazon are there for random "channel-clicking" when you don't know what you want on a Tuesday night, while the late unlamented Ultraviolet VOD was supposed to be your "All your movies, forever(tm)" Digital disc library. (And failed. BADLY.)

BUT, because studios couldn't tell the difference either, they kept trying to sell Digital by saying "Look how popular Netflix and Amazon are!", and the dopey blurring of definitions has been our curse ever since.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 31st, 2019, 3:09 pm

Robert Picardo is in early talks to be in the next season, with a possibility of more alumni joining.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 7th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Ten interesting facts about Star Trek: Nemesis.

http://www.warpedfactor.com/2015/10/10- ... r.html?m=1

Still can’t believe they could have had Nicholas Meyer—NICHOLAS MEYER—Kahn and Undiscovered Country’s director. Can you imagine how awesome it would have been to have him direct a Next Gen film for the first time??? Apparently, he was very much willing to do it but wanted to write the screenplay himself and Paramount was already committed to John Logan. So instead they hired Stuart Baird, who not only knew nothing of the Trek franchise but also seemed to loathe it (he went very much out of his way NOT to familiarize himself with it. Seriously???)

Apparently Baird not only kept calling LeVar Burton “Laverne” but also thought that because of his VISOR, Geordi was supposed to be some kind of alien. Why not just mistake Spock for a Lord of the Rings character? :?

I know Insurrection has its faults (especially the “Data learns to play” subplot :roll:) but it was Khan compared to Nemesis! (BTW I know Tom Hardy was supposed to be Picard’s clone or something, so why did he look NOTHING like him, not only Stewart in his late 50s, but pictures of a much younger Stewart!)

Plus Insurrection has heart, and Picard’s romance was really sweet. :). Also a nice Jerry Goldsmith score to boot. (First Contact’s JG score was in my opinion one of his best ever.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 7th, 2019, 9:53 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 7:34 pm
Ten interesting facts about Star Trek: Nemesis.

http://www.warpedfactor.com/2015/10/10- ... r.html?m=1
I know Insurrection has its faults (especially the “Data learns to play” subplot :roll:) but it was Khan compared to Nemesis! (BTW I know Tom Hardy was supposed to be Picard’s clone or something, so why did he look NOTHING like him, not only Stewart in his late 50s, but pictures of a much younger Stewart!)

Plus Insurrection has heart, and Picard’s romance was really sweet. :). Also a nice Jerry Goldsmith score to boot. (First Contact’s JG score was in my opinion one of his best ever.)
And as the accompanying article shows, http://www.warpedfactor.com/2015/09/10- ... -star.html , Insurrection's plot was all over the map--with producers not sure if it was going to be a "Picard breaks the rules" story or a "Lighter IV-like romantic comedy", and what we got was pieced together at the last minute.

As for Nemesis, Paramount's hyped POINT of doing the movie was as a "Final Chapter", as the perfect deleted ending showed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b8jsrDl89M
But, er, someone (ahemstuartbaird) chickened out of being the Guy Who Killed Star Trek, and left the ending of the movie sort of...dangled and unresolved, in the hopes Paramount might do another one. They didn't.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 2nd, 2019, 6:25 pm

Even though I definitely appreciate much of it, there are two things that I JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND about Insurrection: (actually they’re probably related on some level)

1.). There’s a very interesting book by script writer Michael Piller (“Fade In: The Making of Star Trek: Insurrection”) that gives a really detailed description of the film’s production from beginning to end. Every iteration of the script’s development is given, as well as the different changes made by Patrick Stewart, who had quite a lot of influence on the development of his character. But for some reason, Jonathan Frakes, the movie’s DIRECTOR, is only mentioned once towards the end. Also (according to the article linked to above as well as other sources I think) Frakes apparently directed the thing with almost no input from anyone on the production. Why would this happen? From what I understand this wasn’t at all the case on First Contact...? :?

2.). Unlike FC, which felt so much like a MOVIE movie every second, (as does every Frakes-directed Next Gen ep, watch Drumhead or Reunion if you don’t believe me) Insurrection, despite its strengths, has quite a few moments that resemble the feel of a typical TV episode. Many of the film’s critics and even its fans have brought this up. It just seems like such a huge break from Frakes’ usual style. Even Sub Rosa (the Beverly Crusher falls in love with a ghost ep), also Frakes’, felt very much like a film (ok, maybe not a very good one lol.)

The whole thing is just weird. Oh well, maybe someday we’ll learn the real story. ;)

Amazon link to book mentioned above:

https://www.amazon.com/FADE-Insurrectio ... 0692718931

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 2nd, 2019, 8:05 pm

All films, good or bad, start with a script. Sometimes they can be fixed, and sometimes they can’t, but release dates, merchandising and marketing deals mean they have to shoot, ready or not, to make the deadline...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 4th, 2019, 7:44 pm

New 15-second teaser for Picard show released by CBS at NYCC.

https://www.treknews.net/2019/10/04/sta ... aser-nycc/

(Might not be accessible to those outside the US unfortunately. If not, don’t worry—you’re really not missing that much. :? )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 5th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Here it is on the 'Tube:

Yeah, you weren't kidding...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 5th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Well that just happened.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 7th, 2019, 10:38 am

OhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGod!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://youtu.be/FySrgrKJguE

Second trailer, finally. Don’t worry it’s a real one this time!!

Our first glimpse at Riker and Troi!!! :) :) :)

(Sorry, guess I’m a bit excited.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2019, 10:57 am

Video not available. Looks like it posted too early?

I think this one is the same clip, though, from a day ago, and a first full look:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvKBeOKvblI

Looks like I might need to piggyback on someone’s Prime subscription... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 7th, 2019, 11:06 am

Shy's link works for me but yours gives the video not available message. I'll try embedding:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Yeah, that one doesn’t work for me either...they’ evidently geolocked the different CBS in the US and Amazon Prime everywhere else promos, even though they’re the same clip!