Star Trek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek"

Post by ShyViolet » March 11th, 2020, 1:12 am

Everything is so true...on both sides! The thing is, both ST and SW are not that fundamentally different. For all their good and great points, they have have dumb and dumber points.
Yeah...I love how the vid not only skewers both sides and hilariously at that, but with no mean-spiritedness.

Also, I DO agree that in many ways, Q might as well be “magic”, but I also think it’s important to mention that his race is so advanced that his powers only SEEM magical to us. If a person from five hundred years ago traveled to 2020 and saw a Smartphone for the first time, you can bet he/she would believe it to be magical, or spiritual, or mystical in some way. Even people from, say, the turn of the 19th/20th century after Darwin had already published The Origin of Species wouldn’t have the faintest idea WHAT to make of 21st century technology. (Yeah, I know the light bulb/electricity was around, the telegraph and later telephone, early photography and the very first automobiles, but how could a person from this era possibly comprehend the idea of a pocket-sized all-in-one telephone/typewriter/movie theater/phonograph/library/movie camera that doesn’t require film...well you get the idea. :?

As Arthur C. Clarke wrote:

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” So there you go.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 29th, 2020, 1:32 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 29th, 2020, 4:20 am

I would be more excited if the ending hadn’t been blown for me and that it sounds so dumb. No wonder fans are split over what they have done...sounds more than a bit crap. Not sure I want to invest all that time in something, only to get to a WTF ending... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 29th, 2020, 3:38 pm

I can finally watch the remainder of the new Twilighty!? I just may have to take advantage of that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 29th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Glad it helps!! :)
Ben wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:20 am
I would be more excited if the ending hadn’t been blown for me and that it sounds so dumb. No wonder fans are split over what they have done...sounds more than a bit crap. Not sure I want to invest all that time in something, only to get to a WTF ending... :(
Yeah, I hear ya...I couldn’t help myself and watched a ton of clips that CBS put out...I think each one had a different spoiler. :(

Still, I am very curious about what the series turned out like in general...plus Patrick Stewart is such a gem of an actor that I would love seeing him in anything, basically. (Also what the heck is up with Data’s “return”??? I have to admit I’m dying to find that one out.)

Plus...there’s the two seasons of Discovery available!! I can’t resist that! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 29th, 2020, 6:39 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 1:12 am
Also, I DO agree that in many ways, Q might as well be “magic”, but I also think it’s important to mention that his race is so advanced that his powers only SEEM magical to us.
I never did read that one spinoff novel where Q tries to get Picard's help against another renegade Q still calling himself "Squire Trelane"...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 29th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Do you mean “Q Squared” by Peter David? It’s available on Amazon right now in hardcover format (new):

https://www.amazon.com/Q-Squared-Star-T ... B015X3UTTU

From what I understand it’s supposed to be really good...not surprising as David is an awesome writer (he’s done a ton of Trek spin-off novels as well as movie adaptations like Raimi’s first two Spider-Man films.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 29th, 2020, 11:27 pm

… not to mention well-regarded runs on Hulk and Supergirl comics.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 23rd, 2020, 1:09 am

https://youtu.be/jhBPUn3XoVQ

(One word: Deepfake) ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 23rd, 2020, 4:13 pm

That’s if the film were made today. ;)

If only they could make up a way to solve Brent Spiner's, er, "spread" and make Data truly ageless... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 28th, 2020, 6:08 am

I know that modern trailers of relatively recent films aren’t always so great, but this one’s actually pretty good :)
(ST: First Contact)

https://youtu.be/hwMdv-Nlu9E

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 17th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Well, on the Picard series, I basically cheated and went right to the end of the finale. I already had a pretty good idea of the ending from random comments/articles, so I didn’t think it really mattered. Won’t get too spoilery, but yeah, VERY WTF-like. :shock:

From what I’ve seen/read there was basically a different twist in every single episode. I’m all for exploring different narrative techniques, but I REALLY wouldn’t identify being jerked around like this as an actual form of “storytelling.” :roll:

Even with everything, though, I thought this was an awesome promo. Mostly because of how they blended footage from The Original Series with later versions.

https://youtu.be/YiDMZgweUtE

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 18th, 2020, 5:22 am

Looks like it’s been taken down... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 18th, 2020, 6:51 am

Wow, that’s strange. I’m still getting it.

Re-posting:

https://youtu.be/YiDMZgweUtE

Hope it goes through! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 18th, 2020, 11:16 am

Video unavailable. :(