Star Trek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek"

Post by ShyViolet » January 8th, 2020, 4:00 am

I think, like First Contact, it might very well have had elements of humor (what’s Q without humor after all?) but I can definitely see some heavy themes to be drawn upon from a Q film, (right and wrong, the meaning of being human, the concept of immortality) since many of his eps had serious aspects too. (Q Who and Tapestry for one.) And DeLancie brilliantly mixed his side-splitting deliveries with a very real gravitas; it’s very easy to imagine him doing the same thing in a feature-length film. (His character always had a strangely “cinematic” feel to him anyway, if that makes any sense lol. ;) )

Q has many layers: he’s an omnipotent trickster who somehow seems amused, indifferent, disgusted and bizarrely compassionate all at the same time. I can see much intense drama being mined from this.

Insurrection was certainly enjoyable, but there the drama/humor wasn’t anywhere near as carefully balanced as it had been in FC.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Funny reading your Trekkie thoughts with a Jonathan Frakes avatar. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 9th, 2020, 5:17 pm

:) Lol, I guess especially since he was giving that fanboy advice on a rash during that moment in the ep. :P :wink: 8) :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 14th, 2020, 12:42 pm

I’m sorry but this is just so funny... :lol:

https://film.avclub.com/star-trek-nemesis-1798208774

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 16th, 2020, 2:25 pm

"Baird's entire commentary is self-important and affected; his gravelly murmurs make him sound like a beat-poet wannabe at his first open-mic." Ouch!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2020, 3:44 pm

One hell of an editor, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 16th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Yeah...I know he was the editor for Superman: The Movie as well as many other successful films, so I hope it didn’t sound like I was bashing him in general or something.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2020, 11:30 pm

One of the VERY first reviews of TNG from October 1987 from The Washington Post (specifically the two-hour pilot Encounter at Farpoint, where both parts aired together).

Oh BOY is it weird to see the first impressions of the series, even though the critic acknowledged that it showed potential. (They called Picard: “a grim bald crank who would make a better villain.” LOL!!! :lol: :P :o :!:)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 04ed3349e/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2020, 2:35 am

I do recall, after all the hype, watching Encounter At Farpoint and being distinctly underwhelmed. TNG took a lot of getting used to!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 20th, 2020, 8:39 am

Yeah, being a kid at the time I usually found every episode to be one of two things: absolutely terrifying or unbelievably boring....it was mostly the latter.

Conspiracy (the Body Snatchers one) still haunts me today. :shock: But for a lot of them I was just like: “Why do they have to TALK so much??” (Although I did find DataLore to be hysterical for some reason. Mostly for the “tomato-tomahto” bit. Lol. :))

Also I had this comic book! :)

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Next-G ... B009BFHA9Y

Basically Q accidentally shoots Geordi, nearly killing him, so Data beats up Q for “taking my only friend away!” (Seriously)

Yeah, the TV series was very different then, so the comics were too. Data was much more emotional...too bad he couldn’t remain that way...then he never would have needed the emotion chip! Lol. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 23rd, 2020, 7:25 pm

Arguably the most fantastic scene ever in TNG...and DEFINETELY one of the best in the entire Trek franchise.

The crazy thing was that since this season finale first aired in June of 1990, audiences* actually had to wait THREE MONTHS to find out what happens...and since there was almost no internet back then (and there were even rumors flying around that Stewart might be leaving for good) NO ONE really had any clue what was going to happen. That's right...no AICN, no pirated clips on YouTube, smuggled spoilers, or hot-blooded discussions on Twitter! You just had to wait and see...LOL. :P

I personally feel it was a great moment not just as a narrative device, but emotionally as well. (Riker making that choice to destroy the Borg ship even though Picard was on board, albeit as "Locutus." In a way I can't help wishing this had been referred to in the movie First Contact, though I suppose that might have confused audiences who weren't familiar with the series.)

*American audiences. I know there are different scheduling timetables for other countries; I think both parts one and two came to the UK at the same time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Well, from what I understand the Picard series is now halfway through its first season, so I was just wondering if anyone here has seen it yet and what their general opinion might be. (I ended up not opting for CBS: AA after all....just didn’t seem worth it as nothing else on that channel interests me at all except for Discovery, which I still haven’t, um, “discovered” yet.lol :wink: .)

I did watch the Picard premiere the other day through my Apple TV app (I think YT plus other places online are streaming it for free right now)...so far it’s AWESOME! :D Totally different feeling from series (but in a good way)...really hard to explain in words. Stewart seems somehow more emotional yet more subdued at the same time (kinda reminds me of his “transformation” from the Charles Xavier we knew to the frightened and disoriented one in Logan). Stewart basically IS Picard again (the one we know)...and yet somehow not at all.

I do have Netflix and Hulu, so I guess all I can really do right now is hope that this show eventually becomes available on one of those services. (Plus Discovery...still can’t comprehend how Netflix PAYS FOR IT IN FULL but STILL won’t stream it for its own customers!! :()

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2020, 7:27 pm

I can’t remember if Picard shows here on 'Flix, which we have, or Prime, which we don’t. I’ll have to check that out!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2020, 8:23 pm

I’m pretty sure that it’s Amazon Prime for every country except the US (All Access) and Canada. (CTV Sci-Fi.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Yeah, just saw an ad. Shame, but I don’t really see the point of Prime and certainly wouldn’t get it for their video content, Trek or not!