The Nightmare Before Christmas

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 8th, 2006, 6:10 pm

Here's a cool new poster:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 1st, 2006, 3:49 am

This was a brief intro/parody of the film on Tiny Toon Adventures when the film first came out. Not great, but kinda funny nonetheless.

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2006, 6:38 am

Don't remember seeing that. You can see that they were heading in Animaniacs direction even then, and that show proved even more crazy.

That was fun.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 1st, 2006, 6:16 pm

I VERY vaguely think I remember it...I didn't until i watched it! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 1st, 2006, 9:10 pm

O.K., I got this link off of the Pixar Luxo website: some cool interviews with Sellick, Don Hahn, and Elfman about this, including a really interesting one with John Lassetter. :)

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=33

They mention some upcoming films and how MTR will be also premiere in 3d.

Also, Don Hahn seems pretty happy and involved; I doubt his sabbatical will be all that long. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 1st, 2006, 9:38 pm

Um.... I tried three times, and for some reason I can't go to the link :?

It says error, hopefully its just temporary, I wanna read it :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » November 2nd, 2006, 12:52 am

I'm one of the few people that loved Tiny Toon Adventures and never quite caught on to Animaniacs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2006, 1:04 am

Link finally worked! :D

Intersting read, and a lot of pictures! Some were awesome.

Thanks for the link Vi ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2006, 8:32 am

Now <I>that</I> is some good coverage! Great stuff Vi, and very lovely to see not only Marilyn Manson at a Disney premiere but also Paul Reubens as well!!

And Danny Elfman is a lucky, lucky man... ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 2nd, 2006, 5:29 pm

Looks like this'll be making a comeback next year:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=14092
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2006, 5:59 pm

Its to be expected, cool its in October again! Perfect Halloween film :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2006, 6:43 pm

Hmmm, so it looks like we'll get a Nightmare re-issue and a new Saw movie every Halloween now! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2006, 7:23 pm

Looks that way Ben ;)

But who's complaining :? :)

GeorgeC

The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D

Post by GeorgeC » November 3rd, 2006, 1:37 am

I just had to get out and see a film.

Picked the re-release of The Nightmare Before Christmas since it had been a while since I'd seen the film and since it was newly restored and remastered with new technology in 3D.

When all's said and done, the film remains the best stop-motion film I've ever seen and one of the better animated films of the past fifteen years.

It's off-kilter in a slightly-grosser-than Dr. Seuss way but not as blandly colorless as The Corpse Bride was. It also didn't have the usual problems of a rudderless story as 99% of the other stop-motion features I've seen including the aforementioned Corpse Bride, Wallace & Gromit, and so on. It's a good film where it counts story-wise IN SPITE of being animated.

(See, this is what always kills me about animation. Most people -- INCLUDING 95% of the people that work on these darn films -- FORGETS the story part and get so cooked up in visuals that they forget to make a film about characters we can actually CARE ABOUT. Frankly, most of the animation pundits I've read are STILL clueless on this part and don't have a frickin' idea HOW to make a character or film the audiences will care about.)

Even if this film's remastering had failed, it still would have been a nice theater visit. Let's face it -- it's been a MISERABLE year for films and the continuing drought of creativity in animation and continuing flood of brainless, endlessly derivative CGI films continues. This has been the real reason I haven't posted much lately.

The 3D gimmick works to an extent with Nightmare which was done with 3D animation in the first place. It does work surprisingly well in some scenes where objects are thrown at the camera but frankly I don't see the current 3D trend lastly much longer than the 1950s 3D craze unless newer projects make bolder use of this technology. There is still a sense of unnatural frame separation but it's not as bad as older 3D films. I'm guessing non-film based technology (moving holography?) might eventually solve the pane/frame separation effect in the future. It's a shame most people are skipping out on Nightmare because of its availability on DVD but film-going ain't cheap for families anymore.

Frankly, better stuff is out on video and even Pixar's latest offering looked so bland (Cars) that I skipped it. The studios gotta do better than this if they want to keep the older kids like me interested in new product. The Wild's, Over the Hedges's, and Happy Feet only make the Looney Tunes Golden Collections and Disney Treasures look that much better...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 4th, 2006, 1:36 am

Wasn't sure where to put this so I thought I'd stick it here: :)

It's this monday. I assume it's open to the public. :wink:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... p=1#000000